Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

Magic Paint Job on CRX. Translucent HouseOfKolor Jet Black over Carbon Fiber.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 05:30 AM
CRX God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magic Paint Job on CRX. Translucent HouseOfKolor Jet Black over Carbon Fiber.

Figure I would share this paint on this sub-forum as well as my build thread over at
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...3006841&page=7

The growing obsession with carbon fiber has been apart of a lot of modern builds. But usually what happens is CF makes the car look non-stock which maybe considered rice. Additionally, the CF usually fades and doesn't last past a few years. Lastly, between venders and individual pieces the CF are a bit off from each other (angle and tint).

I have seen some paint jobs where they try to solve these problems. People have tried painting and leaving strips or accenting with areas of CF. Some people have tried doing translucent colors over carbon fiber, but what ends up happening is the CF changes the color of the piece making the paint not match.

Such as:

When I contacted HouseOfKolor about how to do this paint, they said you cannot do it in black. I went out and bought several pieces of CF strips and had the painter continually test different combinations until he got it right. Luckily it turned out amazing.

My ask to the painter was, "I want at 10 feet away the car to look stock, but when you get right up next to it you should be able to see the CF." What is simply amazing with this paint is it does do this, and out in the sun the CF looks like gold flakes on the edges the sun glares on.

If you like the paint please go over and visit my my build thread.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...3006841&page=7
Attached Images    

Last edited by whited; 07-10-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Magic Paint Job on CRX. Translucent HouseOfKolor Jet Black over Carbon Fiber.

crx turned out great!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:45 AM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Magic Paint Job on CRX. Translucent HouseOfKolor Jet Black over Carbon Fiber.

That's amazing.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You said muggin'
Old 07-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Anti-GDD White Knight Simp

People like you are how we keep moving forward, good job
Old 07-16-2014, 08:27 AM
CRX God

Originally Posted by TracerAcer2.2L
People like you are how we keep moving forward, good job
Thank you sir.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work. What about ordering a CF part and requesting it NOT to be clear-coated from the manufacturer. Then painting your colour over the raw CF. Get the texture of the CF and the colour of the car? Possible? My car is red and it would be awesome to have this effect.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:49 AM
CRX God

Originally Posted by solorex
Nice work. What about ordering a CF part and requesting it NOT to be clear-coated from the manufacturer. Then painting your colour over the raw CF. Get the texture of the CF and the colour of the car? Possible? My car is red and it would be awesome to have this effect.
I don't think they clear them. It is a coat of epoxy, and you have to sand them down anyways. Better to keep the coat on it until you are ready to paint. I think the effect will be really hard to do with red, as the other sections of the car could look different. The translucent red may need to be a different color red. If you use a light red with the translucent effect, it would possibly match a dark red paint job. My ultimate recommendation is to buy a ton of sheets of CF to test out the ratios.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:30 PM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by solorex
The epoxy coat they have on CF products tend to be what "holds" together the product, I believe in order to do this you would need to order "dry" carbon stuff - which tends to be a bit more expensive than the standard.