Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Civic EX sat for 2 years and won't start - Faulty Ignition? Bad fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Civic EX sat for 2 years and won't start - Faulty Ignition? Bad fuel?

Wassup guys, Im new here, though Ive been lurking for a while now.
I have situation that maybe like minds can help me with.

My cars(93 Civic EX 1.6)been sitting for a while, at least two years now. Half the time being spent inside the garage. I decided I wanted to put some work into it.....again. So a couple months ago, I went to start it, it started up fine, but ran a bit funny as if it was missing, and a lil bit of backfire, just rough....from what I can feel and hear. It ran for at least 5 mins or so then it just died. I immediately checked my gas level gauge to see if I ran out of gas but I didnt think that was the case(about 1/8 tank). After looking around for a lil bit to see whats going on I found that my firing order was wrong (1-2-3-4 instead of 1-3-4-2) this explains the "misfire/backfire" while it was running. Not sure how this happened or what led to the wrong firing order couple years ago but it was what it was. So I rearrange the wires and have yet to get the car started since I last ran it. It cranks, but the crank seems off, a bit jumpy if you ask me, not a smooth consistent crank. This isnt my daily driver so the work and troubleshootings been done weeks apart

What Ive done so far:
Changed Distributor last week- I had some oil inside the last one, rotor looked in bad shape also.
New plugs about a month ago- NGK-->Bosch Platinum
Checked timing mark alignment between Crank and Cam-Aligned
Cleaned up a bit using wd40, removed AC system, replaced radiator (things I originally planned on doing) months ago

Heres what I notice:
When I attempt to start it, It cranks, "skips/jumps", doesn't start
Plugs are "wet" which leaves me to believe fuel is getting to the cylinder
I verified that plug one has spark- Though the spark is a small one
The frequency of the spark is pretty slow as well, (spark- spark- no spark-spark-spark-spark)
Got about 6k ohms on thru the wires, so I don't suspect that to be the problem. I think up to 30k is allowable, right?

So my questions:

Is it possible that the gas in the tank is no longer good?
If I get some new fuel into the tank (without draining the old) will this alleviate the fuel issue?

Thanks in advance for everyones input. Apologies for the confusion if any.

Cliffs:
Car sat for 2years
Started up fine, but died after few minutes of rough running
on 1/8 tank of gas
Firing order was wrong 1-2-3-4
Tried correct firing order, still no dice
Changed Dis, plugs, added a lil bit of gas
Car cranks, but seems erractic
Old 06-29-2014, 12:10 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Faulty Ignition? Bad fuel? What are your thoughts on this?

"Without draining the old"???
Stop being lazy. Drain that garbage gas and get some new stuff in there.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
"Without draining the old"???
Stop being lazy. Drain that garbage gas and get some new stuff in there.

lol got me. I figured that lil bit wouldn't effect a 1/2, 3/4 tank of fresh...but Ill drain it tomorrow and start adding some new stuff.. thanks for the input
Old 06-30-2014, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

You may want to replace the fuel filter as well.

Also sounds like there's a spark problem. Spark should be bright white at all 4 plugs. Changed the distributor to what? New coil and ICM? Give details.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT

Also sounds like there's a spark problem. Spark should be bright white at all 4 plugs. Changed the distributor to what? New coil and ICM? Give details.
Ok, Ill look into that. I replaced the distributor with an aftermarket OEM. It came complete wit cap, rotor, etc. Didnt plan on replacing the whole thing till I noticed oil sitting inside the cap
Old 06-30-2014, 05:04 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: 93 Civic EX sat for 2 years and won't start - Faulty Ignition? Bad fuel?

Just to double check you have it in this order

Old 07-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 Civic EX sat for 2 years and won't start - Faulty Ignition? Bad fuel?

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Just to double check you have it in this order

Thanks

So I've dumped the old and added new fuel, no diced. The crazy part about this **** is that it ran perfectly fine before I har it parked for the time it did. I uploaded a vid on my YouTube of it cranking. It just doesnt sound right, almost as if somethin is turning out of round or missing teeth or something on the flywheel..

Old 07-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check capacitors in ECU.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:33 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you aren't getting adequate spark. You also may have flooded the cylinders from constantly trying to crank it.

Go to your local parts store and buy a DEI Spark tester. Use it (remove your fuel pump fuse, put it in the cylinder 1 plug wire where the spark plug would go, and ground it on your valve cover, repeat for the other three cylinders, only removing one plug at a time to prevent blowing the coil/ICM), and tell us what color the spark is at each wire. After you've done that and while you're waiting for an answer, pull all four plugs and wires to allow any excess gas to evaporate. Make sure you leave the hood closed to prevent any rain or other debris getting into the plug wells.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT

Also sounds like there's a spark problem. Spark should be bright white at all 4 plugs. Changed the distributor that? New coil and ICM? Give details.
Yup, drain the tank, flush the lines, replace filter. If you want to go all the way, drop the tank and pull out the fuel sending unit. Replace the screen on the fuel sending unit or at least clean it. Check for rust. Reinstall and try to fire it up.

For future reference, if the car is going to sit for more than 12 months put some fuel stabilizer in the tank. Leave the tank close to full to lubricate the walls of the tank and avoid corrosion but not completely full to allow for expansion.

If the engine fired up before, spark is not likely your issue. Did you use preset gapless Bosch plugs? If not, did you set the proper gap?

I see you replaced the distributor. If you have the old distributor, put it back on. If it runs great. If you swap the new distributor back on and it does not run, you have found the problem.

Last edited by OptimisticWay; 07-21-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

did u try Starting Fluid?
Old 07-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94 accord typeR
did u try Starting Fluid?
Not yet, that was next on my list...
Old 07-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OptimisticWay
Yup, drain the tank, flush the lines, replace filter. If you want to go all the way, drop the tank and pull out the fuel sending unit. Replace the screen on the fuel sending unit or at least clean it. CheckSend the video or the link to signprintspr@gmail.com for rust. Reinstall and try to fire it up.

For future reference, if the car is going to sit for more than 12 months put some fuel stabilizer in the tank. Leave the tank close to full to lubricate the walls of the tank and avoid corrosion but not completely full to allow for expansion.

If the engine fired up before, spark is not likely your issue. Did you use preset gapless Bosch plugs? If not, did you set the proper gap?

I see you replaced the distributor. If you have the old distributor, put it back on. If it runs great. If you swap the new distributor back on and it does not run, you have found the problem.
Tank was drain, I flushed the line by removing the connect on the filter and turning the key to on a few times. New filter has also been installed. I have NGK plugs in with proper gap set ~.41. Haynes recommended .39-.43ish. I couldn't get it to start with the old distributor either. I ended up changing the dist. since I had oil sitting inside of the old one.

Originally Posted by NotARacist
It sounds like you aren't getting adequate spark. You also may have flooded the cylinders from constantly trying to crank it.

Go to your local parts store and buy a DEI Spark tester. Use it (remove your fuel pump fuse, put it in the cylinder 1 plug wire where the spark plug would go, and ground it on your valve cover, repeat for the other three cylinders, only removing one plug at a time to prevent blowing the coil/ICM), and tell us what color the spark is at each wire. After you've done that and while you're waiting for an answer, pull all four plugs and wires to allow any excess gas to evaporate. Make sure you leave the hood closed to prevent any rain or other debris getting into the plug wells.
I'll try this this week.

Originally Posted by goo_punch
Check capacitors in ECU.
I'll look into it.

Thanks again for all the input guys
Old 07-20-2014, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd put money on the spark.

I'd also put NotARacist's test next on your list. And make RonJ@HT's signature your mantra. "Don't guess, troubleshoot." See how many things you can test before you try to crank it.

I just started a sol after 3 years of sitting, but just a bit more lucky. (added some fresh gas and it turned over) I SHOULD have drained what was in the tank, but hindsight is 20/20.

My only input to your situation is that in your video you thought you were missing a flywheel tooth or something - but no, I don't think so. Just spark or fuel.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Use high octane fuel for storage, like 110. IV also read a lot of testimony that ethanol makes issues even worse.

basically, run the car until the fuel tank is like empty. Put in a few gallons of really high octane fuel, and run it thru the system. Then store the vehicle, it helps prevent issues from crappy old gasoline.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mithious
I'd put money on the spark.

I'd also put NotARacist's test next on your list. And make RonJ@HT's signature your mantra. "Don't guess, troubleshoot." See how many things you can test before you try to crank it.

I just started a sol after 3 years of sitting, but just a bit more lucky. (added some fresh gas and it turned over) I SHOULD have drained what was in the tank, but hindsight is 20/20.

My only input to your situation is that in your video you thought you were missing a flywheel tooth or something - but no, I don't think so. Just spark or fuel.
I agree, though I've been testing quite a bit, just not enuff I guess. I know for a fact that there aren't any teeth missing- just my way of describing the frequency of rotation. Thanks for the insight
Old 07-21-2014, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shotoutacc0rd
Use high octane fuel for storage, like 110. IV also read a lot of testimony that ethanol makes issues even worse.

basically, run the car until the fuel tank is like empty. Put in a few gallons of really high octane fuel, and run it thru the system. Then store the vehicle, it helps prevent issues from crappy old gasoline.
Thanks- Ill look into this for future
Old 06-16-2015, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd put my money on a Fuel Filter - and/or air flow. Use a new air filter... and make sure no rodent made a nest in the air filter box! Blocked air flow could cause a no start situation.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:41 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

And the rest of us would put our money on you being a year late to the punchline.

Please don't bump ancient, dead threads. It doesn't help anyone.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hate to bump this thread. But to lay it to rest right. I had the plug wires were one off in sequence on the distributor. Thanks for all the input.runs good. Still a project in process. Again sorry for bumpin an old thread.