Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

2002 civic ex: check eng, flashing 'D' after engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 civic ex: check eng, flashing 'D' after engine swap

My friend and I put in a new engine.

All was ready to go and we fired her up; it ran, but there was a check engine and a flashing 'd'.

if it's relevant: the car is still up on jack stands so we can get underneath, and so we can bleed the heater core. If being on a slope messes with things.

My friend also ran it out of oil (why would he think 3qts was OK?!? the dipstick won't be accurate when on a slope, with a new filter and a drained engine-- and he knew it called for 4.5qts) but he shut it off quickly, and I don't see how that would affect a flashing 'd' light.

We went over the plumbing and wiring thrice to make sure we didn't miss anything. It's not impossible that we hooked up something wrong for the vac lines, but we were pretty careful (when we got the car it had already been torn down to the block, so we had to look at the shape of our molded vac hoses and think about where they'd have to go).

haven't pulled codes yet. will just borrow an autozone reader.

occam's razor says the transmission probably hasn't spontaneously and coincidentally taken a dump while just sitting there as we bolt in an engine.

what's likely the cause/ what might we have left unhooked or which vac lines might we have mis-routed to lead to this?

One guy on a forum (anecdotal) says it's an EGR thing, but I don't know. Lots of people on forums (google search for symptoms) say it's transmission, but that just seems so unlikely when it didn't have a transmission problem before.

Oh! one final thing. My friend tried to start it a second time last night after adding more oil, and he said the lights just turned off and nothing happened. Dead battery? It sat for 2 weeks. Perhaps the first start drained it and now it has no juice left?
Or something else we should be concerned about?
Old 06-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2002 civic ex: check eng, flashing 'D' after engine swap

Hey! nvmd. got it to a shop, pulled codes (hope we didn't do damage on the drive there...), it was 'solenoid a'... take a closer look, and one of the plugs wasn't quite snapped on.

and yeah, despite turning on once; it was just a dead battery. brought it to a shop to get it charged. perhaps its on its last legs, if it goes dead after just 2 weeks-- but that particular $80-$100 part can wait later. This project already ran to $2000.

snap it on, works like a charm!

the red herring thing about it was, we never touched that particular harness, so we weren't looking there... and it wasn't all the way off, either. code led us to look more closely. Perhaps we knocked into it getting the housing bolts in (only thing I can think of)