Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

310xxx should I flush the transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 04:46 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 310xxx should I flush the transmission?

I just bought a 93 accord and don't know if the tranny has ever been flushed. It shifts ok but when I look at the fluid it a little dark. I've heard that if its never been changed then don't do it because the tranny is depended on that fluid and it could possibly tear up the transmission. So I need some other opinions. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 310xxx should I flush the transmission?

A change in fluid appearance indicates some level of contamination, from O-ring degrading, or clutch particulate matter. Removing contamination is important. If you are flushing to cure a problem, good luck, a flush will not make any shift complaint better, if anything worse.

Changing transmission fluid on a regular basis as required is imperative to long lasting operation, so long as the proper fluid is used.

If after flushing the performance deteriorates, you have transmission problems that require repair, plain as that.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/transmission-drivetrain-127/automatic-transmissions-torque-converters-explained-2086594/
Old 06-24-2014, 09:49 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by slowcivic2k
If after flushing the performance deteriorates, you have transmission problems that require repair, plain as that.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2086594
What if replacing the fluid seems to make a transmission problem better? Can it still hurt somehow?

I have drained, run in park and then refilled three times and each time it seems better, but not fixed. I just posted a new thread 1998 Civic Automatic won't go into Drive after sitting https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...7#post49798967
Old 07-31-2014, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know this is a old thread but I changed the Transmission Fluid on my 03 Accord EXV6 Sedan. And the fluid on mine was a dark red. I changed it because it was due for one. now has 137k miles so I was cutting it close. I did see a major improvement not only shifting out of park and though all gears. But Transmission shifted more smooth. Pretty much if it has a lot of miles and the trans fluid was never changed. Don't do it because the fluid in there would be thicker then new thinner fluid. thicker fluid seals the worn parts. you pretty much take a big chance that's why when I changed mine In My Accord I took a risk. I'm actually a little afraid. when the time comes to change it again.But You should be fine though if the fluid was changed out regularly.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NightHawk92
I know this is a old thread but I changed the Transmission Fluid on my 03 Accord EXV6 Sedan. And the fluid on mine was a dark red. I changed it because it was due for one. now has 137k miles so I was cutting it close. I did see a major improvement not only shifting out of park and though all gears. But Transmission shifted more smooth. Pretty much if it has a lot of miles and the trans fluid was never changed. Don't do it because the fluid in there would be thicker then new thinner fluid. thicker fluid seals the worn parts. you pretty much take a big chance that's why when I changed mine In My Accord I took a risk. I'm actually a little afraid. when the time comes to change it again.But You should be fine though if the fluid was changed out regularly.
That is about the worst bit of information I have seen in a while on here. As oil heats and cools, it becomes thinner... duh?

If anyone posts a reply that says their transmission shifted better with new fluid:

1: You didn't have the right fluid installed.
2: Your fluid was low.
3: Your clutches are worn. (usually due to the first two)
4: Poor oil pump volume and main pressure.

A flush or exchange as it should be called, should produce no detectable change in shift feel or behavior. Feeling a change is a symptom of one of the above.

If your engine oil was black, would you not change it?
Old 08-03-2014, 10:35 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slowcivic2k

That is about the worst bit of information I have seen in a while on here. As oil heats and cools, it becomes thinner... duh?

If anyone posts a reply that says their transmission shifted better with new fluid:

1: You didn't have the right fluid installed.
2: Your fluid was low.
3: Your clutches are worn. (usually due to the first two)
4: Poor oil pump volume and main pressure.

A flush or exchange as it should be called, should produce no detectable change in shift feel or behavior. Feeling a change is a symptom of one of the above.

If your engine oil was black, would you not change it?
Fluids do change formula's which do assist some things. Also has to do with compatability. Fluids do degrade over time but its more from use and wear than the viscosity changing. When a oil breaksdown it isn't lubricating as originally designed hence the reason for upgrading or flushing.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your car does have that many miles i wouldnt see the problem. With adding something extra to the oil that your putting in. Like lucas or a thicker oil.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Fluids do change formula's which do assist some things. Also has to do with compatability. Fluids do degrade over time but its more from use and wear than the viscosity changing. When a oil breaksdown it isn't lubricating as originally designed hence the reason for upgrading or flushing.
Lubrication is not the issue. The lack of fluid friction is what causes clutch wear and degradation, thus requiring service.

Changes in viscosity results in wear and tear.... duh?

If you are referring to normal wear as the natural break-in of mechanical parts, that is completely unavoidable, and normal. The only way to reduce this type of wear is to produce parts with greater accuracy.