Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

HOW WOULD YOU BUILD THE ULTIMATE TRACK CAR FOR $5000?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HOW WOULD YOU BUILD THE ULTIMATE TRACK CAR FOR $5000?

Originally Posted by rallyrcr
obsequious.
Maybe hyperbolic... (and definitely pedantic) but go on.

While we can pick at the wording (as most forums usually do to people's posts), I think the spirit of the OP's post is to ask what is the most that can be done with a budget of $5k.
So just to circle back on this "pedantic" theme for a second. The title itself was in all caps and nobody pointed that out. That just shows how deeply respectful the folks in this subforum are.

And btw, if you're so interested in power-to-weight, the Exocet (which can be street legal, depending on your part of the world) is way more ultimate than a fwd honda that will undoubtedly be heavier as well. So it might be worth it to find a smashed up Miata with a good drivetrain/suspension for cheap and do this if you can make it road legal.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I recently bought some 15x7 RPF1's and tires and that was $1500

I don't see how you can build a track car for $5K

Voice of experience says buy one already built, you could be out there driving instead of building

This one already has a swap and he lowered the price ( I am in no way associated with that car)

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forum...4-Crx-with-B16

Davegt27
Old 05-22-2014, 09:02 PM
PM Garage

LOL but in all seriousness I was not trying to upset anyone or cause any problem or maybe minimum I was provoking people and trying to stimulate some people so they can chime in. Next time I will try to take it easy on my wording I come from a Marketing background so I can exaggerate some times.

But this would be great if we can build a car for $5k that can hang with $100k cars this would be a great write up and PR experiment lol. I told you guys I market to people everyday its just in me lol.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2014, 09:16 PM
PM Garage

Originally Posted by davegt27
I recently bought some 15x7 RPF1's and tires and that was $1500

I don't see how you can build a track car for $5K

Voice of experience says buy one already built, you could be out there driving instead of building

This one already has a swap and he lowered the price ( I am in no way associated with that car)

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forum...4-Crx-with-B16

Davegt27
Hey thanks for the find on the CRX I will check it out its close to where I am out.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:23 PM
PM Garage

Originally Posted by dirty19
Cute. What kind of meathead goes on track in shorts?
5k IMO isnt a realistic goal for an Ultimate track car even if its a starting budget.
Safety: cage or roll bar?
Harness
Helmet... hans device or screw it let me take my chances.
suit or no suit?
Seat

Suspension... variables there, nothing cheap though.
Tires and wheels
Engine... used from HMO?

Somethat streetable?
Answer this: your friend... whats his driving experience?
Why does he need 200-250 hp?
Ive seen near stock hondas with a very good driver run down vettes, evo's and anything else driven with superior hp.
FYI most of the old so cal HC guys dont really post here very often.

-My buddy just wants to fast for as cheap as possible I don't think he is even going to compete at all and regards to the cage I don't even think he wants that lol. I am with you I would rather him be slow and safe then fast and dangerous but he is a wild man lol.

-Streetable we just got to be able to drive it on the street does not have to be legal or whatever.

-Experience he is definitly faster then me but thats not say much but he regular hangs with HPDE 4 group all day long and out pace most of them with his last VW Golf GTI turbo.

-Horse power who doesn't need 200-250 hp the more the better.

-Hey as long as you post I dont care about those old HC timers lol.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 PM
PM Garage

Originally Posted by kingofbattle909
DC2

2.3 H2B

F1

Fabricate own parts

Shell (I don't need someone else's problem. I can make my own thankyou )
Thanks I like that last part I can create my own problems lol.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:32 PM
PM Garage

Originally Posted by opc
If it was me, and i have a fresh start, 5k, and the goal of hot lapping a douche in a 100k porsche..

88-91 crx or civic, model doesn't matter but no sun roof
-
d16z6 built(rods/pistons, ported head, aftermarket cam)
skunk2 intake manifold
68mm tb
-
transmission 92-95 si
obx lsd
-
take out all the suspension, replace all the bushings, bearings, tierods, etc
stitch weld the frame
koni/ground controls
gut the fenders
put on wider fenders/fender archs
15x9's all around
32mm sway bar
-
gut the interior, light aluminum seat(used)
nice ebay china suede deep dish steering wheel

go take a few classes at your local track, buy a 1500$ trailer, borrow a disel if you don't have one...

6 pack of beer

and play
Thanks love the China suede deep dish steering wheel lol.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:41 PM
PM Garage

I can answer that. I am the friend Charles posted this for.

I can explain this by describing the Honda that opened my eyes about the big motor small chassis wonder that are the cars that make up the Honda community.

Last weekend I was at the track with a bunch of high dollar Porsches, Audis, and BMWs that I had a very difficult keeping up with. These were quick cars with competent drivers, but all day long this little CRX caught and smoked each and everyone of them. That for me was a revelation. Here are these $60-100k sports cars being lapped by a tiny low cost Honda.

In the end the Honda wasn't an exoticly built NSX with special turbos or nitrous. It was an 88 CRX HF, gutted with a 6 point roll cage, and all motor putting out a claimed 210-230hp by its driver. I thought he was lying but he popped his hood and all that was sitting there was a Poor Man Type R build under the hood. No nitrous jets, no turbo headers, and no Jackson superchargers, just an all motor Honda. Amazing!!

Now by setting the $5k limit, I'm not looking for the ultimate track car. Charles was being generous with his wording. What I am looking for is the best platform to start out with. So the search started bringing up questions I couldn't answer and didn't find easily on the web.

Was the CRX HF the best way to go, or is the Civic HB better? Should I start with an SI? Should I just copy the one I saw? Is a Poor Man Type R more practical than just getting a Type R to start with? Can I get away with using this as a daily? Should a build like this stay a track only car? The owner of the CRX said he spent about $15k, is there a way I could replicate 80-90% of that car's capability for less? Did he have a lot complications in this build? Will I?

I could look up specs all day long, but specs and project builds by car magazines on the internet don't really answer what normal guys can build to go on the track and go toe to toe with high dollar cars like this CRX did. That's what I want, and it might take years to build up (and spend) to the level of what this CRX I saw can do, but it starts with the right platform and I wanted to know if copying was the best way or others had good opinions on something better.

I hope this answers the direction I've started from and am headed with a build I want to do. I have $5k burning a hole in my pocket and I'm looking to get started!!

And for everyone that has responded so far, you've given me some good ideas and pitfalls to consider. Thank you and I appreciate your time!!

Hey Mark we need to figure out how to pull this off and do a good write up on but only if we had the time but I am down if you are. We got to figure out the best way to keep up with these $100k high horse power cars and the best way to do it. I bet it has cross each of our minds in some shape of form.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, rallyrcr, I think we need more info to help you. No matter how much you invest time and money into a car, you will not be playing with the higher end cars with an entry level Honda unless you have decent track experience.

What is your experience level? Recommendations will vary based on this.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:39 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_EG
Well, rallyrcr, I think we need more info to help you. No matter how much you invest time and money into a car, you will not be playing with the higher end cars with an entry level Honda unless you have decent track experience.

What is your experience level? Recommendations will vary based on this.
Again the question was asked...... this is critical in knowing what to recommend.
None of our comments are meant to disrespect, but if we dont know your experience how can we know what would benefit you or what wouldnt.
Charles says he hangs with HPDE 4 people but the OP doesnt confirm. Am i wrong here or ?
I will say this again.... If you cant run down a faster car then there are a few things wrong
1.) You dont yet posess the skills to out drive somene in a superior HP'd car.
2) Your current car is severly underpowered. 100hp or below.

Let me say this once more.
In both norcal and socal there are some super awesome honda drivers. (as there are in other places across our country)
I have seen many of them get in a nearly or bone stock cars, and run down vettes,porsches,over boosted Evo's etc....
You ask how? They posess the skills to do so.
Instead of needing 200-250hp keep your goals a little more realistic.
You can run down those cars with less hp.

True story.
I was in the passenger seat of my B16 powered EG at thunderhill back two years go.
Back then it only had 155 hp.
Jonathan Meris was piloting it and he chased down a Maseratti Granturismo.
From turn 1 through 7 and 10-15 he kept my EG no less than one foot sometimes closer to the *** end of this car. He did this for several laps.
Thats a 454hp car. Granted a Maseratti isnt the best handling car but the differential from 155-454 is huge, yet this poor guy ahead of us .. i say poor guy because i could see his face in the rear view mirror couldnt understand how a weee little honda could just harass the hell out of his fast italian car.
How can this be? Superior driver.
Working more on your race craft will give you those skills, not HP.
Save that money for other improvements, and more seat time.
FYI again there is a term that I have read over, and over again in the OP's post.
"to the level of what this CRX I saw can do"
It was not the CRX it was the driver!

Last edited by dirty19; 05-23-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rice_classic
You don't build the "ultimate track car" for $5k. $15k will build a ChumpCar. $5k can buy you a used spec miata or ITA/H4 Honda.
ftfy

how much ours cost again..... but our level of prep might be higher than some
Old 05-23-2014, 05:56 PM
PM Garage

Again the question was asked...... this is critical in knowing what to recommend.
None of our comments are meant to disrespect, but if we dont know your experience how can we know what would benefit you or what wouldnt.
Charles says he hangs with HPDE 4 people but the OP doesnt confirm. Am i wrong here or ?
I will say this again.... If you cant run down a faster car then there are a few things wrong
1.) You dont yet posess the skills to out drive somene in a superior HP'd car.
2) Your current car is severly underpowered. 100hp or below.

Let me say this once more.
In both norcal and socal there are some super awesome honda drivers. (as there are in other places across our country)
I have seen many of them get in a nearly or bone stock cars, and run down vettes,porsches,over boosted Evo's etc....
You ask how? They posess the skills to do so.
Instead of needing 200-250hp keep your goals a little more realistic.
You can run down those cars with less hp.

True story.
I was in the passenger seat of my B16 powered EG at thunderhill back two years go.
Back then it only had 155 hp.
Jonathan Meris was piloting it and he chased down a Maseratti Granturismo.
From turn 1 through 7 and 10-15 he kept my EG no less than one foot sometimes closer to the *** end of this car. He did this for several laps.
Thats a 454hp car. Granted a Maseratti isnt the best handling car but the differential from 155-454 is huge, yet this poor guy ahead of us .. i say poor guy because i could see his face in the rear view mirror couldnt understand how a weee little honda could just harass the hell out of his fast italian car.
How can this be? Superior driver.
Working more on your race craft will give you those skills, not HP.
Save that money for other improvements, and more seat time.
FYI again there is a term that I have read over, and over again in the OP's post.
"to the level of what this CRX I saw can do"
It was not the CRX it was the driver!
I hear you Paul and agree but want a competent car and I think by buddy is a good driver so how to do you measure this I will let him chime in to share maybe he has a point of measure. But like I said and not because I know him he is a pretty good driver and from my experience its no fun going to the track with him because I can keep up. Besides me being 6'2" 250 lbs does not help compared to him being a smaller 5' ish maybe 150lbs . We been hitting the tracks since we were in Jr College days and he visit the track on a regular basis. I am not saying that can't be faster but having a solid plat form to grow off can't hurt.

My original intention of the this post was to pick more knowledge Honda people who may have more experience then me and trust me we are learning and I am very appreciative.

Thanks again are intentions are serious and we plan to post our progress here to enourage others but we actually came close last night if thats what you want to call it lol to buying the right track car but it sold withing a couple of hours of being posted on Craigslist.

So our search continues wish us luck and thanks to those who have help us so far.

FYI this car sold for $4k lol so it can be done lol I am teasing but we were bummed
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For $5K I personally wouldn't focus on speed or power. If you try to overachieve you'll have to cut corners and likely end up with an unreliable piece of crap.

For $5K I'd focus on a clean, well maintained car (fresh fluids, belts, bushings, etc), and good suspension, tires, brake pads and seat. Stock motor, transmission, etc. That'd be a reliable and fun platform to use and improve upon as funds allow.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:14 AM
PM Garage

More Honda goodness

Old 05-24-2014, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Realistically for $5000, you would be lucky to get an EG Si/EX or an EK EX, with a bone stock engine, reliable for track duty. That includes Koni/GC, big rear sway bar, wheels/tires, and stock brakes with pads, as well as any preventative maintenance/repairs an old car like that would need. Even for $5k all that is a stretch. There's no way any kind of swap is happening with that budget, and even what I described is tough for $5000. Maybe you could buy someone else's project with a swap, but at that price it's probably going to be a hack job that's going to need a lot of work/$$$ to get reliable for track duty.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as you can see, there is quite a variety of different honda's in that video, and they are all very fast.

and I'm guessing all of those cars have more than 15k into them, much less 5k.

use common sense, buy a car with some performance mods for 5K, and then just improve it as your finances allow.
this question gets asked so often on here...I would just do a search and you should have plenty of reading material
Old 05-27-2014, 06:42 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Lost cause here. The CRX isnt streetable. K20's can be bar'd but its uber expensive to make it all happen.
Ive seen it done.
Selling it for 4K im sure it was a hack job and the guy only wanted his investment in the engine back.
Who knows it probably didnt run very well either.
A K20 doesnt make you fast... again its the driver.
The other car is well over the 5k limit so the goodness isnt realistically in the budget.
I did some homework and found a few poor mans Type R that made about 217-220hp and thats pretty decent numbers for a NA car.
Guarantee you the money to build it pretty much eclipses the budget of 5k.
In the hands of a well seasoned driver the chasing down of the the cars mentioned is possible... but then again chasing down a 454 hp car in my EG by a capable driver was also possible.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Option A) cheap miata, a roll bar, some wheels, a shock/spring package and some spec miata take offs. Put what's left over into the motor if you didn't want to make other things better first.

Option B) the cheapest EF I could find that is straight, a roll bar or cage, a shock/spring package, and some spec miata take offs. Put whatever is left into the motor if you don't want to make other things better first.

Option C) Buy the nicest turn-key track car you can find for 5k, doesn't matter what chassis or make it is. This will probably be the fastest option.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2123
Size:  83.0 KB

Here's my hooptie current costs are $1500, down to the quarts of oil and the tow home when I bought it
Have one Autocross on it, co driven (20 runs) nothing broke.

I Have NASA honda challenge in mind for the car

94 prelude s with blown h22a, vtec brakes, and a few other tricks
Car- 500
Engine- 500
Cutch- 180
Belt. 20
Oil. 60
Bj. 40

Future mods include : roll cage, seat, harness, tires, brake pads

Last edited by preludeNApower; 05-27-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can you build the ultimate track car for $5000?

You buy a miata.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:36 PM
PM Garage

Lost cause here. The CRX isnt streetable. K20's can be bar'd but its uber expensive to make it all happen.
Ive seen it done.
Selling it for 4K im sure it was a hack job and the guy only wanted his investment in the engine back.
Who knows it probably didnt run very well either.
A K20 doesnt make you fast... again its the driver.
The other car is well over the 5k limit so the goodness isnt realistically in the budget.
I did some homework and found a few poor mans Type R that made about 217-220hp and thats pretty decent numbers for a NA car.
Guarantee you the money to build it pretty much eclipses the budget of 5k.
In the hands of a well seasoned driver the chasing down of the the cars mentioned is possible... but then again chasing down a 454 hp car in my EG by a capable driver was also possible.

We know Paul we are not looking to be to street legal just drive to the local track and back that it.
We are open to putting some work in and right now we are looking for CRX with a K20 as cheap as possible and yeah I was thinking the same thing it probably needed work.
I agree 100% Paul the driver makes the car fast but this is just the platform we want to go fast hopefully our skill will show.

I will keep everyone posted on our progress and what we buy we came close a couple of times wish us luck.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:37 PM
PM Garage

Originally Posted by bkuehl
Option A) cheap miata, a roll bar, some wheels, a shock/spring package and some spec miata take offs. Put what's left over into the motor if you didn't want to make other things better first.

Option B) the cheapest EF I could find that is straight, a roll bar or cage, a shock/spring package, and some spec miata take offs. Put whatever is left into the motor if you don't want to make other things better first.

Option C) Buy the nicest turn-key track car you can find for 5k, doesn't matter what chassis or make it is. This will probably be the fastest option.

Thanks for the input
Old 05-28-2014, 10:38 PM
PM Garage

Originally Posted by preludeNApower
Attachment 366722

Here's my hooptie current costs are $1500, down to the quarts of oil and the tow home when I bought it
Have one Autocross on it, co driven (20 runs) nothing broke.

I Have NASA honda challenge in mind for the car

94 prelude s with blown h22a, vtec brakes, and a few other tricks
Car- 500
Engine- 500
Cutch- 180
Belt. 20
Oil. 60
Bj. 40

Future mods include : roll cage, seat, harness, tires, brake pads

Love it thanks for the pic got to love fun and fast hoopties lol
Old 05-28-2014, 10:39 PM
PM Garage

Originally Posted by Driven
How can you build the ultimate track car for $5000?

You buy a miata.
Miatas are fun but we want to go faster lol thanks for reply.

Last edited by civichb20; 05-29-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:49 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

:facepalm:

Quick Reply: HOW WOULD YOU BUILD THE ULTIMATE TRACK CAR FOR $5000?