Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What model?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What model?

Hello everyone, my name is Tom and I am brand new here at Honda-Tech. I don't currently drive a Honda but I am in the market for one. Specifically I am looking for civic to do mostly autocross with. I have been once with my Camaro but I am looking for something a little more nimble and fun to work on. From what I have read it is important to have an idea of what model I am looking for before I start shopping. I am a novice when it comes to working on my own car but I would love to learn! So basically I am looking for a car that would be easy to turn into a track/autocross car but still inexpensive and easy to work on. What model should I be looking for? Any suggestions?
Old 04-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: What model?

Forget a civic then and get an integra i'll list a few reasons off the bat, 1:all DC(94-01) integra's came with a b-series engine so even the non-vtec ls has 140/128 which is more then a d-seires civic. 2:you can find a gsr(170/129) for the cost most kids want for their civic and those are great platforms to start 3:you won't have to spend money for an engine with a dcent amount of tq(for a Honda) which is ideal for ayto x.

While Time attack is my thing the top cars at buttonwillow raceway this year for the GTA were the sport car motion integra nd R-division integra they just make great plat forms.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
Forget a civic then and get an integra i'll list a few reasons off the bat, 1:all DC(94-01) integra's came with a b-series engine so even the non-vtec ls has 140/128 which is more then a d-seires civic. 2:you can find a gsr(170/129) for the cost most kids want for their civic and those are great platforms to start 3:you won't have to spend money for an engine with a dcent amount of tq(for a Honda) which is ideal for ayto x.

While Time attack is my thing the top cars at buttonwillow raceway this year for the GTA were the sport car motion integra nd R-division integra they just make great plat forms.
That is very interesting, I hadn't considered that before. Any specific model or year I should be looking for?
Old 04-23-2014, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TommyG94
That is very interesting, I hadn't considered that before. Any specific model or year I should be looking for?
The 94-96's where the lightest and if you get a 94 or 95 you're all ready OBD1 which is more friendly to moding/emissions, alternatively there would be more wear on it. But if you're going to change out the bushings it's not a big deal, I have a 94 gsr however swapped it's engine out for a b20v(248/160) it sees only 5 time attack events other then the drive to get down there. If you can find a clean 94-01 integra grab it even if it's an ls you can go LSV, integra's are fun little cars in stock form if you have the money tho an ITR is the best 90's FWD platform.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:06 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

integras are ugly. the benefit to a civic is that they are better looking, easier to find, cheaper to buy, and have all the same aftermarket support (and then some) as an integra. im a bigger guy and feel incredibly cramped in the 3 door integra as well.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, since you did not inform us of your budget, or where you are located. I will honestly say look past this older models. I would seriously look toward a 06/07 Civic Si, tons of aftermarket support. Though it may cost more up front it comes loaded with a rev happy motor and beautiful 6 speed transmission and the suspension though less high tech than older models actually allows the car to be very competitive. and as K-series parts have become more abundant and prices have dropped its a great car to have.

Also it does not have a target on it from thieves as any 88-00 civic has, trust me I have a 98 Ej htbk and I can not leave it anywhere except my garage without worrying about it.

Good luck man. Honestly head over to the Roadracing forum there is loads of info on car setups and plus they have a classifieds section for cars already modified for track/autox duty.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:11 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

For auto x the 92-95 civic is a great platform to start with. A stock si or a modified one will be tons of fun.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it really just depends on which generation you're looking for. 92-95 civic or 96-00. trim level is kind of irrelevant, IMO. You can swap anything you want between it.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:53 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SCCA Pro Solo Class Points

Those are the current point standings for Pro Solo. Pro Solo = Autocross, which is specifically what OP wants to do. Go ahead and look over them. The Integra is just short of non-existant, and the only Integras out there are Type R's, and none of them are top of their class. STC class, almost all Civics. L3, three Civics in the top 5. Stop dickriding the Integra. You're wrong.

OP, you have a couple options. You either want a 92-95 Civic SI, 96-00 CX, or 99-00 SI. The two SI options are both going to be the quicker car in stock, or street classes, and the CX is the lightest chassis to start with for street modified or street prepared. The DX has unnecessary hardware and more weight, and the LX and EX have even more unnecessary "stuff" that increases chassis weight. Regardless of class, you want the lightest starting chassis, and the CX becomes an option if you're interested in modified classes.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The OP is long gone after this hissy fit in his thread.

Sounds like he has the funds to support a Civic Si hatch or Integra Type R. Could also import a RHD Civic Type R from Japan. I see them for around 8,000 in Canada. Better than spending 8K in upgrades to make your Civic perform or look like it. Not sure of it's weight though.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's dominated by short WB RWD cars that's not a surprise to anyone next up is short wb FWD cars again NO SURPRISE. The em1 is a few lbs lighter then a gsr and afaik has about the same/close to wheel base don't see many of them in auto x either, over they're still a very well rounded car no denying that. could never take circling pylons in a parking lot seriously so no I don't have any real work exp with it, but I'll happily be with my teammates at road Atlanta may 8-11's for GTA as a spectator...no point in lying.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
lol revert to being a teenager as a defense, before you were the all knowing race car driver. i most certainly do hand out advice here, and am typically right, or at least point people in the right direction. you, on the other hand, come into threads with your "**** fake parts" rhetoric and parrot the brand name crap that is in style now that you think everyone should overpay for. the point of my objection to your comment in the first place is that this is a CIVIC forum. if you want to leghump integras, head on over to that subforum. you seemed to take extreme offense to my personal opinion on the body style integra you recommended. here's a piece of advice, calm down. its the internet.
LOL
Old 04-24-2014, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
it's dominated by short WB RWD cars that's not a surprise to anyone next up is short wb FWD cars again NO SURPRISE. The em1 is a few lbs lighter then a gsr and afaik has about the same/close to wheel base don't see many of them in auto x either, over they're still a very well rounded car no denying that. could never take circling pylons in a parking lot seriously so no I don't have any real work exp with it, but I'll happily be with my teammates at road Atlanta may 8-11's for GTA as a spectator...no point in lying.
For someone who acts like they know something about racing, you certainly don't know the first thing about racing. For road racing in the east coast groupings, there are only three Integras. There are six Civics. So, they're running SmPt? Which bracket? What's the driver's name?
Old 04-24-2014, 08:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
integras are ugly. the benefit to a civic is that they are better looking, easier to find, cheaper to buy, and have all the same aftermarket support (and then some) as an integra. im a bigger guy and feel incredibly cramped in the 3 door integra as well.
I have to disagree that integras are ugly.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
For someone who acts like they know something about racing, you certainly don't know the first thing about racing. For road racing in the east coast groupings, there are only three Integras. There are six Civics. So, they're running SmPt? Which bracket? What's the driver's name?
Where did I say that ? I'm sure you of all ppl know I post alot regarding my time attack events/experience with them, in fact I just admitted to not knowing **** about auto x etc. I'm referring to GTA in particular the season ending "super lap battle" at buttonwillow raceway which the sportcar motion integra took first followed by less then a second behind is the R-Division(a local team here) integra driven by James Houghton who I do know well. that was in the unlimited FF class this is what I'm referring to and yes I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to this http://www.globaltimeattack.com/ .

you can talk **** all you want, I'm not calming to be good enough to drive in these but I am friends/teammates with those who are thus I get to go to these events like the GTA road Atlanta one next month.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:47 PM

And yet UFWD and SFWD were both dominated by Civics. Just go ahead and keep dickriding Integras in the Civic section, we all see how well it's been working for you so far

OP came here asking for advice, and you started spouting off nonsense. This is as bad as constantly saying "Put a B20 in it!" Your advice (usually) isn't horrible, but it's usually completely off-base from what people want. Keep your advice on point and relevant, and people might listen to you more often.

Tommy, I've already answered your question once, but just to make sure you don't miss it all of the stupid this thread has become infested with, you want a 92-95 SI, 99-00 SI, or 96-00 CX/HX, depending on what class you want to run in.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the help guys. Im having trouble locating any 92-95 SI's or 99-00 SI's that stand out to me for my budget in my area. I will definitely keep what you have said in mind though and keep looking. Another question, what should I be looking to pay for a 96-00 cx? I have found a couple of those but IDK what a fair price for one is.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

96-00 CX in good shape and not a rust bucket, should sell for around 3,000 in my opinion. I see some sell for less than 2K, some for more than 4K. You get what you pay for. Some people overprice. Some are priced more due to upgrades.

I wouldn't buy one that's modded. Unless you want a serious project and plan to be changing everything anyway. Look for things like new timing belts or signs of regular maintenance.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:51 AM

Yep, if you plan on running it in an organized league, definitely avoid something modified. Different classes allow different things, and it's better to know exactly what's on the car so you know where you'll be classed. Also, most people who modify their cars are just doing it to hardpark, and a lot of people use low-quality parts that won't stand up to the rigors of cone killing.

A CX in good shape will range from $2k to $4k, depending on the mileage and what the owner thinks their car is worth (hint: Most people have no idea what their car is actually worth).
Old 04-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I am looking at CX near me and the owner wants 3500 for it. It has 155,000 miles and looks to be in decent condition. The only problem is the owner says its on lowering springs but does not specify what brand so probably nothing respectable. Will I be put in a different class for that? Would it be expensive to replace that with some decent work? I have never lowered a car so I don't know the first thing about it.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:13 PM

Springs are easy to replace, and easy to find at junk yards or used. For SCCA at least, lowering springs will bump you into a slightly more competitive class. That sounds like a decent pick-up, but I'd try to talk him down a bit.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would you recommend putting stock oem springs back on it then? I am just getting into autox so I don't want to be in a class that I won't be even remotely competitive in. Plus the car doesn't have any other add ons. And what would be a fair price? 3k?
Old 04-28-2014, 01:24 AM

Yeah, $3000 would be a little more along the lines of a fair price.

I would recommend looking into the class rules of whatever organization you plan on running with. A bone stock CX will get its **** pushed in in a bone stock class, but might actually be reasonable a class that allows basic suspension work (springs on OEM alignment, OEM sway bars). It won't be winning any awards, but at least the car won't finish dead last.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for your plans, don't forget clutch and brakes. pad/disc upgrades will be very helpful.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I prefer 92-95 civic hatch backs, cx model is the lightest, also doesn't have a sun roof, so in theory more solid. Its very light. Come with a single cam but can easily be swapped for a b18a1 or b18c1 what ever your budget is. I have a single cam, and to me when it comes to taking corners it doesn't really matter whos motor is faster in till you hit the straight aways.

Quick Reply: What model?