Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Can A Bad Clutch Give You Bad Ride Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can A Bad Clutch Give You Bad Ride Quality?

Well last week I was driving my car, everything was perfectly fine and I parked the car. But as I went to go drive the car again, the clutch pedal began to feel very soft, like there's no resistance in pushing the clutch down. The car then began to drive very sloppy, when i'm cruising the car feels fine but while accelerating it seems to have a vibration/shaking go through the car enough to make me very uneasy about driving it. The clutch pedal also seems to have quite a bit of play in it, and seems to sit pretty high up compared to other manual cars I've driven.

The car is on brand new tires and has had it's alignment done after. I'm not entirely sure if it's the clutch that's bad either, but it does have bad symptoms. Sometimes I get a whining noise after letting off the clutch (usually in 1st or 2nd gear). Another odd thing is sometimes when I'm throwing my car into reverse, I would let off the clutch and the car would start moving when the clutch is only an inch released, then I would have to throw it back into neutral then throw it back in reverse to have it behave normally. I haven't driven the car since this issue happened because I don't want it to ruin my transmission.
Other information, 1996 Acura Integra GSR, Stock GSR engine and transmission. Either stage 1 or 2 Clutch (State by previous owner), definitely not OE.
I'm asking because I have a brand new Exedy OE Clutch Kit ready to install but I also have a check engine light problem, but because of money issues I could only tackle on one problem at a time.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:50 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Can A Bad Clutch Give You Bad Ride Quality?

You may need to refill and bleed the clutch system. Maybe you have a leak. Check under the driver side dash (near the clutch pedal) for leaking fluid. Check fluid level in the master cylinder. It's DOT3/DOT4 brake fluid that goes in there, BTW.

You'll need to bleed the fluid once you refill it. Then find and fix the leak.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:55 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

When was the last time the clutch was replaced?

What kind/brand of clutch do you have?

Although I agree that you should check fluid level and for leaks, my guess is you have one or more broken clutch springs or other damage to the clutch. 94
Old 04-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fcm
When was the last time the clutch was replaced?

What kind/brand of clutch do you have?

Although I agree that you should check fluid level and for leaks, my guess is you have one or more broken clutch springs or other damage to the clutch. 94
Car was purchased in September 2013, so I haven't had the clutch replaced myself.

I'm not aware of the brand of the clutch, previous owner only specified that it was either stage 1 or 2 (Can't recall).

Okay I'll just go ahead and check both, but I will most likely be doing both maintenance repairs. Thank you! Just making sure before I spend money on a clutch install.