Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Accord intake backfire/white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:34 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Accord intake backfire/white smoke

Originally Posted by Zackefel
94 accord wagon. H22 vtec (I think, just bought car) car ran but needed a new starter. Replaced the starter, and the new starter spun it out if time. Retimed the car and now white smoke/backfire from the intake. Car is timed correctly. Honda certified mechanic verified but was clueless to my ordeal. Side note the first few times the key turned to start nothing happens. Works occasionally on 5/6 key turn. Distributor cap is in good condition and rotor button is new. HELP PLEASE!
Ok, so going back to this original post, you say as a matter of fact that it was out of time after replacing the starter, which means it jumped teeth.

Then you say you retimed it. Is it safe to say it was out of time and that you did in fact readjust the timing belt to bring it back in time ? If the answer to that is yes, then perhaps there was engine damage while it was out of time.

I would compression test to see if there is any engine damage.

Regarding this guy still going on about the iacv leaking, apparently he's not going to get it until I take a picture and show that the iacv coolant channel is completely sealed off and isolated from the normal operation of the valve so I'll do just that tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Radial Accord
Goodness did you mention timing gears opposite each other. Zak going back to see whether or not would make me far different then most *Experts*, as I enjoy reading this stuff, I know this but you need them facing each other igsact or its retarded at the gears according to my edelbrock performance double roller timing set, installation instructions. therefore the timing would need to not be correct but tampered, also like the gears.
But smoke out the throttle body indicates a MISFIRE dun dun dun. Spark cables are wrong, that's what my 351c said with a puff and misfire pop blowing out the carb, listen Zak. Even if the plug wires are right from experience just 180● them around at the dizzy.

But no knocking probably means your belt is good.
Belts just out the box. And no knock. It's only single cam though. Thank you.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Ok, so going back to this original post, you say as a matter of fact that it was out of time after replacing the starter, which means it jumped teeth.

Then you say you retimed it. Is it safe to say it was out of time and that you did in fact readjust the timing belt to bring it back in time ? If the answer to that is yes, then perhaps there was engine damage while it was out of time.

Regarding this guy still going on about the iacv leaking, apparently he's not going to get it until I take a picture and show that the iacv coolant channel is completely sealed off and isolated from the normal operation of the valve so I'll do just that tomorrow.
When the car wouldn't start and it started blowing smoke out the intake, I immediately had a mechanic come get it. Had a 99 b20b crv. Do the same thing. Except mom actually kept messing with it and bent valves and mess. So I knew I most likely had a bad timing belt issue. So bought the kit with pump and tensioners. Gave it to my buddy who works at a dealership but was nice enough to help me. He said it it's should have been replaced. It's got 208xxx miles on it. Factory original. And said it was in time for some odd reason.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My friend was so confused by what's wrong he brought it to the honda dealership. (Being towed everywhere) All the techs there saying 2 things. Spark and timing. But they have gone over the whole timing system and distributor components. Everything on timing system is right. And I'm getting adequate spark.

Compression test done at Honda dealer was 171-168-169-172
1-2-3-4

So I'm left at the car is timed correctly, I'm getting spark, and it's got decent compression.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are other sensors that need to work in order for that car to even start. ITS only happened to me once!!! ONCE!!! i had spark and fuel in the cylinder. didn't run tho. now that i remember it was the icm. and your symptoms actually kinda fit only this car wasn't throwing out white smoke. it was blowing it out kinda dark next to dark gray and light black. it was miss firing because the icm was bad it didn't know when exactly to fire the spark. sometimes it would fire the spark while the valves where open causing backfire. changed the icm from my car to my clients TWO total different honda's and ran fine. and also it would act like it would try to start but then it would misfire as soon as it sounded like it was going to start. substitute for a known good icm
Old 04-20-2014, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so tell me why it would leak coolant while it was off the intake and i applied pressure with my coolant pressure tester. water started seeping out of it. also on a Toyota ive had one leak causing major valve damage. this one was actually puking coolant into the intake. no matter what picture you show me it doesn't change the fact that it happened to me? im sorry i forgot you were standing right next to me when this happened. do you remember the clients name. do you remember his number, do you remember where he lives. lets go ask him together. you must have forgot. oh thats right you weren't there next to me i forgot
Old 04-20-2014, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In regards to the timing issue it could also be an issue with the pulley itself and the key. I have heard of them shearing and the key that aligns the pulley doesn't actually align correctly anymore. This is an odd issue
Old 04-20-2014, 11:47 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by NerfGunner420

so tell me why it would leak coolant while it was off the intake and i applied pressure with my coolant pressure tester. water started seeping out of it. also on a Toyota ive had one leak causing major valve damage. this one was actually puking coolant into the intake. no matter what picture you show me it doesn't change the fact that it happened to me? im sorry i forgot you were standing right next to me when this happened. do you remember the clients name. do you remember his number, do you remember where he lives. lets go ask him together. you must have forgot. oh thats right you weren't there next to me i forgot
perhaps its possible on other makes and models iacv's but not on obd1 f and h series hondas
Old 04-20-2014, 11:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

OP, there is a possibility that the MAP and TPS sensors or the IAT and IACV sensors connectors got inadvertently swapped .. check them
Old 04-20-2014, 12:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

also check for any possible stored codes
Old 04-20-2014, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zackefel
Belts just out the box. And no knock. It's only single cam though. Thank you.
Yeah, I got little help. This issue was irritating, as a matter of fact the shop where I was couldn't help me. At the time me myself, but random guy at the muffler shop next door helping his buddy with his car liked my car and wanted to hear it run, as I was aggravated turning it over as it was timed, thinking it would run, as I was supposed to be sanding the balancer,.
but he did this recipe I shared then the mustang started right up, Lmao when the mechanic heard it running, I'm thinking it's the nicest car he's ever had Lol, because of that, I paid him for nothing but drove home in it with no brakes Lol, he is a crazy old man, "sand the harmonic balancer" Wtf. youd think hed trust his own hands doing but now its timed by my ear lol that of course is with it running and not just turning over haha. "These shift cables are a b to get right dang accord love me"
Old 04-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CAR RUNS! Replaced junkyard starter and it started right up. Has a rough idle, but I do believe it's one notch clockwise out of time. Thank all of you so much! And also thank you for putting up with all of my bullshit.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old starter was tested at autozone and was pulling more amps than my car could put out. No reason why. So new starter spins as it should and car runs!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Only thing I can think of is that the junkyard starter was on it's last legs, and pulling power from the distributor system. Causing lack of spark and not letting the car get the correct spark. New starter is on and car gets an even better spark now with the tester.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

maybe it wasnt disengaging fully