Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B Series Swap into EK Hatch HELP NEEDED!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B Series Swap into EK Hatch HELP NEEDED!

Okay, so I have a 98 DX hatch that came with a D16Y7. I bought the hatch with intentions of swapping my 98+ spec JDM B18C Type R into it. I thought I had everything I needed, so I started swapping it.

The motor is all bolted into the car, and I figured that I’d use the factory Y7 harness, so I swapped it over to the ITR motor. I extended the wires of the IAT plug, the MAP sensor plug, and one of the O2 sensor plugs. I also ran my own wires for both the knock sensor and the VTEC solenoid. I’m running an OBD2A to OBD1 Rywire jumper harness from the Y7 harness to my chipped P28 ECU.

When I ran the wires for the knock sensor and VTEC solenoid, I spliced them into the Rywire harness using splicing blocks, rather than splicing them into the Y7 plug.

I buttoned everything up and went to fire the car up. The car fired up, but the idle was super choppy, and didn’t last for long before it stalled out. I started it a couple more times and the same thing happened. I kept the car idling a couple of times by keeping my foot on the gas a little bit. If I put too much pressure on the gas pedal, the engine chokes and stalls out. If I press the gas pedal with very slight pressure, the idle will continue to raise until redline, but on the way there it continuously chokes. My CEL is also on, but I don’t have an OBD2 scanner to see what it is.

I pulled this motor out of my EG hatch, and it was running perfectly fine, so I know that it has nothing to do with the motor itself. My guess is that I wired something wrong in the harness, so here’s my question:

Is there a direct plug and play harness for my application that I could buy? I would rather buy another harness than continue to hack up harnesses and wire plugs in myself.

Thanks in advance!

- DJ
Old 04-07-2014, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B Series Swap into EK Hatch HELP NEEDED!

Suggest saving and buying a rywire harness or at least an EX harness. Is the P28 ecu the same ecu from the eg that you had chipped and running the motor?
Old 04-07-2014, 01:07 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

p28 shouldnt be looking for knock. you can jump the service harness and flash the codes, just like in your old civic.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you do the iacv rewire?
Old 04-07-2014, 05:35 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

You most likely swapped the MAP sensor and TPS plugs around. Or VTEC and CTS plugs around. They're the same plug. They plug into either sensor. It's diabolical.

Someone suggested that maybe you didn't do the 2 wire IAC conversion. That's a good suggestion. Did you rewire it?

Map/tps is what's more likely since u made a VTEC subharness. The IAC is 2nd most likely because the problem persists even if you floor it.

The MAP is on top of the throttle body. TPS on the side.

Unplug the MAP. Mark that connector (A) with a sharpie.

Unplug the TPS. Mark that connector (B)

Connect connector (A) into TPS.

Connect (B) into the MAP.

Fire it up.

Hollerrrrrr
Old 04-07-2014, 05:37 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

It seems you have a OBD1 ECU so you can't pull OBD2 codes. Try the paper clip method detailed in the sticky thread about CEL's. You'll need to do it with the car running.