Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cannot find a front bearing hub assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 08:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default cannot find a front bearing hub assembly

My tire blew out today while my girlfriend was driving, I put a different wheel with new tire on, and one of the lugs was giving me a really hard time getting it off. I could only get it back on half way. then it made a nasty clunking sound, but only while driving straight. It goes away while turning.. I was thinking that the wheel might not be balanced, but the car also had suspension problems.

I figured when i put the wheel on, on the side of the road in the rain, i didnt seat it very well. When i got home i tired taking it off, and snapped the stud for that lug that was being a PITA. looked on Rock auto and they only have wheel hubs and bearings, no assembly.

why dont I see a bearing hub assembly. I was also thinking I could take the hub off my other civic, but they're pretty much opposite cars as far as options goes. I dont think that makes a difference, I'm gonna check the parts numbers before I try it.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:28 PM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: cannot find a front bearing hub assembly

Originally Posted by P-M-B,93EXsedan
why dont I see a bearing hub assembly.
Because when you install them the bearing is pressed into the spindle and then the hub is pressed into the bearing.

When you press bearings you press against the same side (ID or OD) that has the press fit. When you press the hub in you have to support the ID of the bearing from the underside to keep the bearing from seperating.

If you bought a hub and bearing as an assembly and tried to press it into the spindle you would seperate the inner and outer race.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Oh okay I was sorta thinking that they didn't work the way I thought they did, but I wanted to be sure. Now that you explained it I feel dumb. Thank you Nub.

I didnt wanna re-stud the old hub but I guess that's what I'm gonna do when I fix up the front end on my Ex Sedan.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:55 PM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

It wasn't a dumb qeustion IMO. Some vehicles have "unit bearings" that are sold as assemblis with the hub installed. Those are installed as an assembly.

Our cars are different. Most fwd cars I'm aware of are the same as yours. If you haven't done one before you might not know. Live and learn, amiright
Old 03-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

For the fronts, it's not an assembly.
The hub presses into the bearing, after the bearing is pressed into the knuckle.

Now, the rears, is the opposite. they come as a "set". Hub/bearing, are one.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Are the front ends the same in all 5th gens? I just got a DX manual coupe, and the front end is still nice and tight and quiet. I'm hoping I can swap the good stuff over to my Sedan since I'm giving it to my girlfriend.

I dont have a problem putting the broken crap into the broken *** DX in the mean time. This car is straight up beater, the engine is toasted so that needs to be replaced first. But eventually I wanna rebuild 1 front end with performance parts so I dont ruin it in 2 months like I did with my sedan.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:50 PM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by P-M-B,93EXsedan
Are the front ends the same in all 5th gens?
No. Be more specific. Are you talking body panels or suspension?

DX coupe, what's the trim on the sedan?
Old 03-30-2014, 09:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Oops sorry. I meant the stuff under the unibody. The knuckle and all the stuff that bolts it to the unibody
Old 03-30-2014, 10:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Its an EX sedan, DX coupe.

I know the rack themselves are different, one being powered steering and the other manual. But I kno there's lots of other parts, I dunno what to call them all tho. I would just rather not try putting good parts into my good car, if they dont fit. Seems like a big waste of time unless it would actually work
Old 03-30-2014, 10:28 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

The front knuckles have different part numbers. The EX sedan appears to be ABS only while the DX coupe is non ABS.

That might not be definitive for fit but they are different so more research would be required.

I don't know where to locate part sizing information like what someone posted for me with the Lower Control Arms. Wish I did, would be helpful with this now.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:32 PM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

You can swap the DX suspention onto the EX. You would want to do it as an assembly though. The knuckles, calipers and rotors need to stay together. The DX has smaller rotors and the calipers and brackets have to match.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:34 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

@tomcat
I forgot about the ABS, I disabled it somehow the day I got the car when I put new rotors in. I think I broke the wires, not that I care, IMO ABS is dumb.

the previous owner of the coupe had the front suspension serviced during his ownership, a few parts replaced. If my idea wont work I might just buy new **** for the sedan after I buy an engine for the coupe.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Being you don't care about the ABS....
Originally Posted by nub
You can swap the DX suspention onto the EX. You would want to do it as an assembly though. The knuckles, calipers and rotors need to stay together. The DX has smaller rotors and the calipers and brackets have to match.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Thanks tomcat & nub, now I know I dont wanna switch the knuckles up. I was originally thinking I could drop both subframes but since I would need to switch the rack, knuckle, it seems like more bolting/unbolting than just switching the control arms and whatever else.

man I miss my accord I like wishbones way better than this crap.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Knuckles also have different wheel bearing diameters for some models (Found this out the hard way when I managed to get some CX bearings from napa and they were too small for the knuckle)
Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Crap got worse, can I switch the entire subframe from the 2door DX into the 4door EX?

I know the lower control arms are different part numbers between ABS EX and DX non abs. The spindles dont match up, but the upper control arms do match.

so I was thinking while I'm waiting on parts for the DX coupe's engine for the next week, I could take that entire subframe and put it in the EX sedan.

I cant find the subframe in the dealer catalog though. Does anyone know the category they're in and the part number?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the spindles do interchange. the lca's and uca's interchange. why deal with all that work?
Old 04-16-2014, 10:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
the spindles do interchange. the lca's and uca's interchange. why deal with all that work?
I would think its easier just to pull the subframe out. I spent well under an hour prepping it, and all I need to do now I unbolt the subframe after I undo the axles from the hubs. I gotta replace damn near everything, and I'm painting everything that I'm not replacing with my awesum rust repair skills. Plus, I dont see how I'm suppose to take the rear arm of the lower control arm off the car. There's not enough room to do anything besides a wrench and a pipe. Hate that ****.

oh except the power steering but ill get to that. Not sure if I'm gonna swap the rack over too. It would probably be way easier just to use the manual rack in the meantime. I would hope it bolts in but I guess I will find out. Maybe I will just switch the control arms onto the correct subframe. I usually find it easier to pull the subframe out while I'm doing this ****. I dont use s full size lift and I dont like sitting hunched over or laying down

Last edited by PrettyMuchBoned; 04-16-2014 at 10:37 PM.