Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Oil Light/Pressure Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Oil Light/Pressure Issue

Hi all. I've been having an issue since last week after I was driving. I hit vtec and my oil light came flickered for a half second, turned off and then minutes after started continually blinking. Now whenever I drive the light is either fully on (when I'm idling) or blinking (whenever any amount of gas is applied). I searched the forums and only found people who had their light blinking at idle and would have it go away as the rpm rises. So I am at a loss.
But, here is what I know:
Once the car warms up, the light turns on and stays on
It is solid at idle and blinking at any rpm higher
Vtec still engages
No difference in engine running, still smooth through all the rpm's and no weird noises
Did an oil and filter change yesterday and the car runs a little smoother, but light is still on
Checked the oil pan for dents; there aren't any.
Car has 155 xxx km / 95 xxx miles

I'm thinking my next step is getting a pressure gauge and figuring out how bad, if at all, the oil pressure is, but any insight into the next step into figuring out what the problem is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by jgouds; 03-26-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Light/Pressure Issue

clean the switch thats on the back of the block right above the pan. single wire cant miss it. if that dont help change it. if thats not it you sir may need a new oil pump
Old 03-26-2014, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will give that a go, thank for the input.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bamaland601
clean the switch thats on the back of the block right above the pan. single wire cant miss it. if that dont help change it. if thats not it you sir may need a new oil pump
Or the clearances within the bearings has gotten so big it can't create pressure.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

really hoping that is not the case. But I'll be sure to let you guys know
Old 03-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AudioFunk
Or the clearances within the bearings has gotten so big it can't create pressure.
i think if that were the case he'd have a spun bearing by now and would noticed a loud *** knock, it could be oil screen clogged too many things but easiest to try to simple things
Old 03-26-2014, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I need to get my switch replaced also. For like 10 bucks worth a try.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked yesterday, the wire is fine. I will look at replacing the switch now probably. Do I have to take the oil pan off to look at the screens?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jgouds
I checked yesterday, the wire is fine. I will look at replacing the switch now probably. Do I have to take the oil pan off to look at the screens?
I believe so
Old 03-31-2014, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dang. It's damn cold up here in Canada, can't barely get any work done outside. I swapped to synthetic oil. Think maybe it removed a bunch of gunk and clogged up the screens?
Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Swap the switch first before worrying about the screen, it would take A LOT of gunk to cause an issue like that. If you can't find one easily, shoot me a PM late this week, I may have a spare in my garage that I can let go of super cheap, and I can take a listen to your car as well.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, I really appreciate that. Thankyou snobordboy. I think I may have sourced one for cheap, but if it doesn't pan out I will shoot you a PM. Thanks for your advice!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude, please tell me you at least checked your oil level, I re-read the thread twice and was surprised you didn't make mention of actually checking your oil level.. How was it when the light came on ?

On my first H23, I was about a year away from replacing my engine without knowing it by seeing the red light flicker on the dash board.. I added oil (as the engine burnt it) which subsided the light.. I had to keep an eye on my oil and diligently keep it topped up.. eventually it started knocking like crazy so I swapped in an h22a.

3x Calgarian's here! Spring meet (if the f'n snow ever melts)
Old 04-02-2014, 06:19 AM

Haha I was hoping that the fact that there was an oil change done, that it was topped up to the correct level.

That was how I lost my original H23, oil light flashed a couple of time under hard turns with slightly low oil level, then a few months later started a slight ticking in the bottom end. I thought it was an exhaust leak, so I bought an ebay header, installed that and then realized that it was a knock. The next week my wife was driving the car, and said that the light came on when she pulled it into the garage. Checked oil and it was fine, next day she was driving to school and it died on her. H22 swap, and months later pulled it apart to find a spun bearing and crankshaft snapped in half!

I keep hoping to drive my car, it is rather finicky at the cold temps with big cams and huge injectors though. So sad sitting in front of my house in the snow, and the climate here is killing it, so many small rust spots showing now, and I don't want to strip it and paint yet.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah this weather is just brutal. I did check the oil when I did the change and I'm in the clear there. Geez, Calgary FTW! Didn't even notice all of us here
Old 04-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep your eyes peeled for a good suspension setup for me (prefer tein), I got a bangin' deal on a 93 with new paint sittin in the garage - golden shell ($700 whaa)

I got jdm fogs, 1 piece black house headlights ready for a re-finish and install

Got a 96 srv parts car for cheap after the first dump of snow (rust bucket torn leather seats but otherwise ok, haven't got her started yet needs a new starter fings crossed it runs) carpets coming out as well as vtec brake convert.

Anyways, yea for the oil leak. I got nothin', snobordboy sounds like he knows more on the sensor.. for the price, give it a go otherwise it's swap time. Would be a shame to have to pull an h22 withonly 155k on it.... my ludes have 228 and 325 ...
Old 04-04-2014, 06:28 AM

Hey Yohan, were you NB on Deerfoot at like 6 last night, around the Piegan Trail exit? I saw a red 4th gen that had aftermarket tails and possibly corners.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ah dude that was my old car .. when it was red, it was a 92 4ws, i painted it daytona blue pearl .. she got written off in 2008 ******* ran a red in front of me.

I have a black 93sr in the garage, and a black 96 srv in my driveway that isn't running for my parts car. When I get my black itr rims on her that'll be the only thing that sets it apart. The avatar photo is old - http://members.shaw.ca/andrew.b/sunsetlude.jpg was my baby.

we totally hijacked this thread heh.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:49 PM
J.R
Honda-Tech Member

My Oil light also would flicker and turn on, but I did an oil change and had a new Oil Sending unit put in, and so far no more Oil light.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd test the parts before throwing new stuff at it. If u want while I'm at school I can print the diagnostics for diagnosing the sending unit and switch from alldatapro and email it to you
Old 05-21-2014, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I finally got around to taking off my oil pan and found this..
The chunks are about 1.5" square and are thin metal that has been mangled into that shape. Any ideas on what the heck those are?
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2014, 06:45 AM

Wow, yeah you threw a bearing.

Looks like time to go visit Jdmsource.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dang. So, should I be refraining from driving my car then? Still drives well enough..
Old 05-21-2014, 07:16 AM

How it drives at all surprises me, maybe it is a center bearing that somehow isn't seeing a ton of load. In any case you are losing your oil pressure right there, and it has probably destroyed the crank when that came out from where it should be.

Either that or someone left a few chunks of old bearing in the pan.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, there's definitely a noticeable loss in power, and I have pretty well no pressure till 1500 RPM. Shoot. I do appreciate all your help on the topic snobordboy, it's been awesome and greatly appreciated. Probably just gonna save up money and drive 'er till she dies.

Quick Reply: Oil Light/Pressure Issue