Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Best Chassis - Track Car ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Best Chassis - Track Car ??

Originally Posted by randomhero199
NASA Honda Challenge - although my regions participation is pretty weak. Not sure in SCCA - maybe STL. The endurance series I'm looking at have much more dumbed down rules and mainly user power:weight to class.

My region is dominated by spec miata's - 40+ entries, I'm looking into that option again also, seems there are ways people are fitting taller drivers in them, which was always my hang up... but people 6'5" are fitting in these now, which opens my eyes. There's a nicely setup SM local for $7k, decisions...
be careful with choosing a class/organization where you have tiny fields in your area...initially it might be fun, but soon you will be yearning for more competition.

if Honda challenge is your thing, then buy a built challenge car for pennies on the dollar, and just confirm what kind of lap times it turned to be certain it will be competitive.

SM can get expensive, and a 7k dollar one isn't going to run with the fast guys. You can spend way more in a spec class, cause everyone is fighting for that last hp or two, and that last hp or two is what costs the big bucks.

if you have no budget and want to see how you stack up as a driver, than SM is a great class.

I'm actually kind of in your shoes, as I'm planning a re entry into racing after a hiatus.

My thought is to run STL/ITS with a integra GSR in the SCCA. I can then run both the runoffs and the ARRC, and run against some of the fastest competition in the states.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Xian
Most of the EG's got snapped up during the FnF years and were turned into garbage.
So true! I wouldn't have enough space in one post to list the weird stuff I had to sort out in my 93 hatch.

+10 lbs of heavy 0 ga wiring that was run between the headliner and the roof being one of them. Another being grounds that were drilled in the trunk through the gas tank!

I really like that model Civic, though, and a lot of parts are interchangeable with Integras, so I can still get a lot of support.

If I were to redo it, I would probably go with an Integra too, just because you can get one that is newer.

But yes, #1 priority should be to verify the class in which you want to run vs. what car is eligible/has a chance at being competitive.

If you want to run enduro, like you mentioned, you could always try to find a team that already has a car that is looking for a driver (usually, it is not too hard to find one for the longer running enduros). If you can't, you can always offer to lend a hand as crew. That way, you can get some knowledge on what car works well in the race series. Being around in the the environment before even competing is usually best before starting to spend money on a build.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by randomhero199
NASA Honda Challenge - although my regions participation is pretty weak. Not sure in SCCA - maybe STL. The endurance series I'm looking at have much more dumbed down rules and mainly user power:weight to class.

My region is dominated by spec miata's - 40+ entries, I'm looking into that option again also, seems there are ways people are fitting taller drivers in them, which was always my hang up... but people 6'5" are fitting in these now, which opens my eyes. There's a nicely setup SM local for $7k, decisions...
What region?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The DA Integra is a damn fine chassis, especially one that's OBD1.

Suspension design, weight, wheelbase, brake size, hub strength. Basically it has all of the great qualities of the CRX but none of the setbacks (weak hubs, tiny brakes, short wheelbase etc).