Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

ALL MOTOR BUILD HELP... VTEC KILLERS

Old 02-26-2014, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALL MOTOR B-SERIES. <CAMS AND PISTONS>

OK i just have some questions! Newb to all motor but not the b-series.

1: piston brand and compression.
2: Cam shaft brand and size, vtec or Vtec killer.
3: springs and valves.
4: Itb's or normal manifold with bigger throttle body.
5: injector size and brand.
6: exhaust manifolds.

I'd just like input and advice from people who have played with an all motor honda and have experience and or selling these items!

Also i want to make as much power as possible!!!

this is my situation

As of right now i have a sleeved b18 bored to 85mm and no pistons yet. Im at 3,745 feet above sea level and nothing above 91 octane available for gas, nor e85. this car is not a daily driver so no worries there. My Engine was turbocharged and im done with that place in my life, Although that's all i really have experience with. i've never built a high performance all motor b series. I have a bare GSR head and money to throw at it. i've been contemplating the toda vtec killers with toda ITB's but they are very expensive. although i do like the sound they produce. What do you guys think? am i throwing away money? I've heard they are outdated overpriced technology. I just want something different. I've also seen people using the vtec killer rocker arms and different cams, like from an ls... does that work? any help in getting e back in the right direction here would be greatful. Thanks!

Last edited by turbotegra64; 02-26-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ALL MOTOR BUILD HELP... VTEC KILLERS

1. What is the going to be the use of the car?
2. Realistic power goal?
3. How much do you want to spend?
4. Look at the all motor faq section and build to see what works. The search function is your friend.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No offesnse, but you are clueless. A build like you are describing takes experience, or a bunch of money to give to someone to do it for you.
There are PLENTY of cams that will make power over VTEC killers setups and give you so many more options when considering how to build a motor and getting the most for your money.
Beings this is your first serious motor build, I wouldnt recommend jumping into a vtec killer setup. I've built my share of motors and I still feel like I would be going in it somewhat blind. Stick with the 3 lobe design, its proven itself to 300+whp, which, no offense again, you probably will not achieve.
If you're simply attracted to the vtec killer because of the rough idle, go build a small block chevy.
There is my .02. You have some explaining to do.

Last edited by 93egSLEEPER; 02-27-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm lost..
Old 02-26-2014, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Most known brands do the job (like CP). As for compression ratio I think 12.0-12.5 should be doable with some big cams (big primaries AND secondary profiles. If you have the money a custom piston/rod combo with a shorter piston height, longer rods and all the extra "goods" done to the pistons might gain a couple of hp.

2. There is no point in going "vtec killer", it does nothing good. It will only make you loose lot's of low-end. I would suggest something from Rocket Motorsports. He will know best what will work with you setup, but my guess for 85.5*89 and 12:1 CR is M24XX.

3. Rocket has rally good springs (SL). As for valves OEM does a great job. Bigger than stock valves usually just creates problems with valve to valve clearance on the b-series.

4. Most common b-series ITBs are to small for big top-end power. But maybe Kinsler have something (they are extremely popular for K-series). If manifold and looking for high top-end power (dragrace use), probably skunk2 ultra race.

5. ID 725 or OEM RDX.

6. Not really sure. I have good experience with Hytech, but there are many other good once to.

Don't forget to have the head ported by someone with lots of experience. Same with tuner (I really like Neptune).
Old 02-26-2014, 11:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by eDm cRxXx
1. Most known brands do the job (like CP). As for compression ratio I think 12.0-12.5 should be doable with some big cams (big primaries AND secondary profiles. If you have the money a custom piston/rod combo with a shorter piston height, longer rods and all the extra "goods" done to the pistons might gain a couple of hp.

2. There is no point in going "vtec killer", it does nothing good. It will only make you loose lot's of low-end. I would suggest something from Rocket Motorsports. He will know best what will work with you setup, but my guess for 85.5*89 and 12:1 CR is M24XX.

3. Rocket has rally good springs (SL). As for valves OEM does a great job. Bigger than stock valves usually just creates problems with valve to valve clearance on the b-series.

4. Most common b-series ITBs are to small for big top-end power. But maybe Kinsler have something (they are extremely popular for K-series). If manifold and looking for high top-end power (dragrace use), probably skunk2 ultra race.

5. ID 725 or OEM RDX.

6. Not really sure. I have good experience with Hytech, but there are many other good once to.

Don't forget to have the head ported by someone with lots of experience. Same with tuner (I really like Neptune).

Yep. I'd say anything 500-52mm itb if that's the case. If not he can use skunk 2 ultra street it made good power on a 1.8 im sure itd be good for a 2.0 setup. With rocket cams try to maintain velocity 50-52 mm itb for 2.0 or wide LC.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most ITBS on the market are infact, too small. I've ran quite a few and have had little success compared to a actually well designed manifold.

kinsler hand down if you're dead set on itbs, otherwise they'll just be too small.. Most of the time honda motors will require tuned horns with some length and it'll take time to find the real combo that works, kinsler makes alot of interchangable parts.

If you're on a budget, Supertech makes a nice coated piston and has a low thermal expansion rate. On the higher end is JE and CP, I personally like weisco and have ran that in mostly all of my personal builds and my Nitrous motors. For pump Gas A happy medium would be around 12.0-12.5 on a larger then normal camshaft, you'll bleed off some compression, but not much.

VtecKillers are really neat, but for a street car they will serve little purpose, most powerbands regardless of who makes them wont start until at least around 3k or so..if that.
I sell 2 Lobe camshafts with rocker arms, and for that price, you could spend money better else where, and be much happier over the gains you'll have over a set of cams and rocker arms.

The 3 Lobe design isn't ran out yet, there's plenty of people making well over 1000whp on 3 lobe designs. Research, ask around and decide which camshaft will fit your needs.

VT is simple, Supertech hands down will be the top choice, I like their springs, they supply alot of different seat pressures that will fit many camshaft needs and their longetivity is very good.

ID or FIC injectors, The RDX's are great as well, but will need higher base pressure.

Myers, AFI, ASP, Sheepey all make excellent header choices, A "off" the shelf header is great too, look into Skunk2 Alpha's, or the PLM style type headers, stay away from the V2.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thanks guys. I can build a good turbo engine. But the guy that said I'm clueless here is right. I build Hondas all day long at the dealership... Which is easy. But making one all motor has me lost. Simply I think because their is sooo many options anymore that is almost overwhelming when trying to decide what power to try and make or what itbs or cams or non itbs or killer cams and then the hundred different designs of headers they have too.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go poke around in the dyno thread stickied at the top of this forum. There are builds w/ dyno sheets and all kinds of specs available. It is more or less a helms manual HT style for building motors.
What kind of goals do you have? Will this be a drag or auto-x motor? All of these details play into how you will go about building this motor. Also, just as important, is a budget.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the PX. Add cam to carry the rpm, and you're golden
Old 02-27-2014, 09:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Cams with wide LC will like smaller itb
Cams with tight LC will seem to work with big itb.