Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

DJs Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DJs Build

So I needed something to tow with (when needed) and had to be 4wd/awd, had to look nice, and had to be somewhat of a gas saver...put 2 and 2 together and only a few things could match these, then I saw a lowered CR-V on my usual seems like every other week trip from Houston to Austin TX. mouth dropped, that guy broke my neck lmao (my teg started boss hoggin 2 lanes cuz i wasnt paying attention) simple enough...googled CR-Vs for a few months and that brought me to this site mostly, and searched CL and bam, found one. Black, RTAWD, Rims, Tow Kit, but sadly an autobox, but ill make the best out of this one and probably buy a manual down the road. So here she is as she stands when the day I bought her. (not the best of pics I know). My plans are to get HID kit on it, Re-Do the Vtec and figure a way to engage it (going to try a dual ecu set up hopefully or something in the summer), lower(4-6 inches) on either Ksport or D2 (leaning on D2-SL series) soon, dvd nav in the dash, redo grill, bumper with the fogs(elements fogs fit great from what ive read on here), a small turbo hopefully by next year. and some other stuff.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DJs Build

here some pics from the 1st day I got her home...still needs a good cleaning, don't know what kind of rims they are but 17s on 225/55/17 tires, didnt blur the license plate because the plates have been changed later that day, ugly different 5th wheel throws off the car imo, so ill be getting a cover for now while I try to figure out the type of the wheels, no muffler- just a straight exhaust where the muffler goes, The AEM & ARP stickers were a bitch trying to get off, but i finally got them off and got most of the glue off too, got to redo the grill, and get hood dampers, B20z block (supposedly new rings), B18c1 head (supposed to have B18c5 cams) and Blox cam gears, and the car had some venom400 thing, so i took it out, this weekend im going to do the head gasket, and up because its got a massive vacuum leak in the valve and intake gaskets, and im curious to see what studs it has (supposed to have arp), and see what the pistons/valves look like. then repaint cover wrinkle red and throw my type r wire cover on...pics after thats all done later this weekend...

Old 02-13-2014, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like a great base to start doing your own thing too. Wheels look like they could be some sort of drag wheel. Runing two ecu's should be fun also that grill the plastic that still on the inside should be cut flush all the way to the trim piece that pops off way cleaner look.Im a sucker for black crvs so ima keep an eye out on this thread.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wheels looks similar to enkei klamp....

good luck to your build!!
Old 02-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah ap1jnky i love that its black! got a thing for black vehicles too lol, well today the brakes were making some dragging noise, figured it was the dust cover things on the front or the hardwares loose, i thought they were the drag dr31's, but drags are universal style these werent, then i saw the enkeis and nope not those either tad diff shape, so while the wheels were off i googled everything that i could find written on the back of the rims, found a few numbers and found out there- Motegi-MR117, glad now i can order a 5th that is the same lol, nothing seemed wrong with the front brakes so im guessing the drums are dragging(i hate drums brakes), so tomorrow ill be trying to adjust them, hopefully i dont have to get shoes yet. and lastely i just finished the cutting of the grill with a small rotory cut wheel i got at harbor freight, then sanded down all the melted spots, and wala(i think i did it right-looks better than before) you can see where the guy i bought it from painted and where i changed the spot it screwed into... now tomorrow home depot after my morning class to get a new insert, this window screen stuff just isn't going to cut it lol

Old 02-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks better.. i gotta take a closeup shot of mine so you can see what i mean that the rest of the inside plastic needs to go in order to look cleaner. The gutter guard will have two metal tabs on it get that one.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just noticed the pic looks like it has plastic on the bottom, but thats the window screen just a unpainted part, i took off the U shaped plastic thing and cut around where that attaches just barely missing the places where it attaches, then sanded everything as smooth as i could, ill take a better pic tomorrow with the screen thing out, U thing out, and then all put back together with some gutter guard from home de-pot, might grab me some sand paper so I can re black the chrome window things, and maybe do a home depot lip too.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so i cut cut cut and sanded it...

[/URL]

all done cutting and sanded it around the burned edges...

[/URL]

i put the old screen grill insert back in when i was done till i could go to home depot- notice i repositioned it so the painted part was not in the middle anymore, so thats why the old pic looked like i didnt cut the inside out.

[/URL]

put together with no insert, need to paint it though...

[/URL]

I found this already black just had to bend the v bend straight for everything to fit, so I took a piece of wood and hammered and bent it all as straight as I could

[/URL]

Installing...

[/URL]

done...think i did it right...correct me if im wrong so i can fix it, I was just test fitting so I didnt use any glue or liquid nails to hold the sides down more secure.

[/URL]

and you'll never believe me, but I went to autozone to get front sway bar links and bushings, went home opened the boxes and noticed one of them was a moog...SCORE! thank you to whoever returned the duralast crap and accidently put the moog in the box...lmao

[/URL]
Old 02-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a decent platform to start with. Dont see too many b20v auto crv's. How does it currently drive? What type of mpg do you get? Bet you are excited to get the vtec wiring/ecu tasks done.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

drives a little faster when you slam on the gas cuz the cams are a bit bigger then the b20s, it drives good, i like it just want to get the vtec wired in so i can get the even bigger lobes working, its never going to be as fast as my teg or bike, but i just wanted a little more then stock, plus i dont like stock, I have to be a little different, right now im getting horrible mpg though cuz i have a massive vacuum leak fixing over the weekend...little upgrades here and there, then going to drop her on probably d2-sl series, and then ill get the vtec working.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all cleaned up, got to paint the bumpers and trim with bumper paint and might put real paint on the top halves of the bumpers, dont know yet, and got a compound/wax/polish meguiars D.A. kit today so over the weekend im planning to get some swirl marks out of the paint.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Coming along grill looks good now
Old 02-15-2014, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yeah, it made a HUGE difference compared to that trashy window screen and messed up cuts that were on there before, i actually like looking at her now lol
Old 02-20-2014, 11:14 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Have you taken the motor apart yet? How's the ecu setup working for you?
Old 02-20-2014, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

havent got the ecu part done yet, so no vtec at the moment, the motors a little faster than with the stock b20 head, but very little, going to be taking apart the motor this weekend to find out if the cams are gsr or type r, and to fix a few vacuum leaks and put a new tensioner cuz the timing belts a little loose and wont tighten any more, so going to fix it before it becomes a problem, then ordering coilovers in the next 2 weeks probably, then hopefully before summer be getting the vtec situated (most likely with a vafc for now)
Old 02-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Coilovers over having the motor run properly how it should? Backasswards priorities...

What coilovers are you looking at getting and whats your budget?
Old 02-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by theycallmedj
havent got the ecu part done yet, so no vtec at the moment, the motors a little faster than with the stock b20 head, but very little, going to be taking apart the motor this weekend to find out if the cams are gsr or type r, and to fix a few vacuum leaks and put a new tensioner cuz the timing belts a little loose and wont tighten any more, so going to fix it before it becomes a problem, then ordering coilovers in the next 2 weeks probably, then hopefully before summer be getting the vtec situated (most likely with a vafc for now)
If you can't tighten that belt anymore that means the belt is stretch or is the incorrect belt. I think the belt you need to purchase needs to be for a vtec head, probably because the deck height is different, can someone chime in? I always wanted to do b20/vtec ever since I sold my si with a high compression b20 I never had the chance.

Edit: How are you controlling the IABs?
Old 02-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You match the belt to the water pump.

You can use either...
Ls/b20 belt & ls/b20 water pump
Or gsr belt & gsr water pump.

Cant mix match
Old 02-21-2014, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i went ahead and got a gsr pump and belt, did that with my teg last year, im getting the car to run right, just not using the vtec yet, finding all vacuum leaks and fixing them and getting it to run right with no CEL and noises, then ill order some coilovers, yonaka, d2-sl, or ksports, depending how much money I have left when the cars running right, id like to have dampening adjustments, but if im running low on money ill just get yonakas
Old 02-21-2014, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does your V have the Old Man Emu lift springs on it or do the rims just make it look lifted?

If so and you're going to drop it on coils would you be interested in selling the springs?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

think there just stock springs
Old 02-23-2014, 07:44 AM
Fish Twig

vtec controller won't really bring out the full potential of vtec, might have to look into that dual ecu setup to run an obd1 chipped ecu.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats my plan this summer is try to get a plug n play dual ecu harness made up, dont want to hack anything, and the vtec controller will be temporary though just to get the vtec to engage and run simi-right while i start to figure out the dual ecu thing
Old 02-23-2014, 09:21 AM
Fish Twig

I think with obd2b the tach signal comes from the ecu so I need to wire in crank sensor as well as the distributor sensors, I will also look into wiring in the MAP sensor as well in hopes that the torque lockup solenoid works. If I can get all of this working than I will order a custom dual ecu harness with what I need and chip a p28 to have IAB and VTEC as well. I will need that IAB setup for a d-series function.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well if it works let me know what all has to be done asap, id rather get boomslang or someone to get a harness made then me hack into the harness, my luck id somehow fry the car lol, im fine with little electrical stuff, not the whole thing lol

Quick Reply: DJs Build