Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Hybrid Racing Civic Master Cylinder Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid Racing Civic Master Cylinder Upgrade

Thought I would drop a post about this and tell you how well it worked.

I've had my '07 Si since it was new back in 2007. I've always felt that the clutch was never fully disengaging. While researching K-swaps, I stumbled on to this upgrade. It was a relief to read the description and have my thoughts about the clutch confirmed as well as to find a solution to the problem. I didn't hesitate to order the kit.

The kit is comprised of an OEM '99-'00 EM Civic Si clutch master cylinder and a high pressure braided SS line.

Check it out here: http://www.hybrid-racing.com/store/8...r-upgrade.html

The install was only difficult because of the location of the clutch master cylinder. If you've never noticed it, there's a good reason. Other than struggling with the location, the install is relatively easy.

The end result is nothing short of a complete transformation. I've spent the last five years and 80,000 miles learning how to work around the lazy clutch. I've never been able to hit a clean shift at red-line until now. The difference is even evident during normal casual driving. Shifting into any gear, especially third, is very smooth.

I had originally thought to order the EM CMC and reuse the hard line, but after experiencing this install, I realize that trying to modify the original line to mate up to the new CMC would be very difficult.

I recommend this to anyone even if the rest of the car is stock. I really believe the nasty stock CMC is the cause of nearly every clutch/transmission issue the 8th gen Si suffers.

-Alex
Old 06-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hybrid Racing Civic Master Cylinder Upgrade

Yep, the OEM CMC sucks.

If you want to save a few bucks, you can go with an aftermarket EM1 CMC and get a stainless steel K-Swap clutch line.

I'm using the Centric CMC; some people use the Autozone ones. For the line, I'm using Karcept's K Swap clutch line. It works perfectly and has been for about 7,000 miles.

Also, make sure you use the correct rod and adjust the length (there are a few threads over on 8thcivic).
Old 06-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did not think using the oem line was that difficult (used it for about a month). However I did not like the way it looked so I eventually got a ss line.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will have to look into this mod for sure. I get an intermittent grind in thirs that only seems to happen when I shift between 3000 & 4500 RPM, and mostly when the car is cold.

This isn't something I would tackle on my own though. Any idea on the cost from a shop install?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by integra15
I did not think using the oem line was that difficult (used it for about a month). However I did not like the way it looked so I eventually got a ss line.
I ordered the line before I even looked at the setup. I knew it could be done but I just decided to get the SS line.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vtecnique69
I will have to look into this mod for sure. I get an intermittent grind in thirs that only seems to happen when I shift between 3000 & 4500 RPM, and mostly when the car is cold.

This isn't something I would tackle on my own though. Any idea on the cost from a shop install?
No idea how much a shop would charge. It's in a very tight spot so the shop rate may be kind of high. On a normal car with easy access to the CMC, I would say it would be very easy. The only problem I had was struggling with the nasty location.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but it popped up in my searchings.

Labor time is listed at 3 hours for the cmc, so whatever your local mechanic charges per hour. My shop is $90 per hour so 270 plus parts.

Anywho. I did the em1 swap, and adjusted the pedal properly. But the engagement point on the clutch pedal is like 90% of the way released. I did the 5th gear low speed test and it's not slipping, bit it's just annoying that I have to let the clutch pedal out almost all the way before it engages.

Anyone every try using a shim or spacer of some kind to move the cmc forward a little bit, or any thoughts on if that would be bad? I would probably use some thicker extruded plastic, similar to our thermal intake spacers, but any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by samterry1234

Labor time is listed at 3 hours for the cmc, so whatever your local mechanic charges per hour. My shop is $90 per hour so 270 plus parts.

Anywho. I did the em1 swap, and adjusted the pedal properly. But the engagement point on the clutch pedal is like 90% of the way released. I did the 5th gear low speed test and it's not slipping, bit it's just annoying that I have to let the clutch pedal out almost all the way before it engages.

Anyone every try using a shim or spacer of some kind to move the cmc forward a little bit, or any thoughts on if that would be bad? I would probably use some thicker extruded plastic, similar to our thermal intake spacers, but any other suggestions are welcome.
I've never heard of this issue. Does your clutch have high mileage? When I originally installed mine, it felt exactly the same as the original unit. The only difference I felt was during high rpm shifting.

One thing I've noticed about clutch in the FG Civic is that it seems like there isn't enough travel. I have almost 140K miles on my original clutch and it's starting to feel like the engagement point is really high. Drive a current generation Civic and you can tell they addressed the issue. It feels much better than the 8th gen civic's clutch.

I wouldn't try shimming it. You'll probably end up loading the throw-out bearing and causing premature wear.

-Alex
Old 11-16-2015, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by samterry1234

As your clutch wears the pedal is going to engage closer to the top (the top being where you take your foot completely off the pedal.) Depending on how worn it is, this could be part of the problem.

There is also a limited amount of adjust ability so that just may be how it is. Have you checked the system for air? If you were to dial the pedal back down, how does that affect how it engages?
Old 11-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civicgsr
I've never heard of this issue. Does your clutch have high mileage? When I originally installed mine, it felt exactly the same as the original unit. The only difference I felt was during high rpm shifting.

One thing I've noticed about clutch in the FG Civic is that it seems like there isn't enough travel. I have almost 140K miles on my original clutch and it's starting to feel like the engagement point is really high. Drive a current generation Civic and you can tell they addressed the issue. It feels much better than the 8th gen civic's clutch.

I wouldn't try shimming it. You'll probably end up loading the throw-out bearing and causing premature wear.

-Alex
I only have 73k miles, I am the second owner though so who knows ows how the original owner drove it, but it was fine until I did the em1 cmc swap.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dschybrid
As your clutch wears the pedal is going to engage closer to the top (the top being where you take your foot completely off the pedal.) Depending on how worn it is, this could be part of the problem.

There is also a limited amount of adjust ability so that just may be how it is. Have you checked the system for air? If you were to dial the pedal back down, how does that affect how it engages?
I bled the slave, drove it for a few days, bled it again, drove it and bled it. Totalled like 5 bleedings, each of at least 6 bleeds a piece.

I tried adjusting the pedal the other way too, and all it did was preload the clutch. Caused it to slip a lot.