Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

01 CR-V vibration at 60+mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 CR-V vibration at 60+mph

I just bought my 01 with 145k on it and the only problem I've noticed is that it shakes pretty bad at speeds over 60mph. gets worse up until about 80 which is the fastest I've gone in it(no highways around here). I thought it may have been due to the rear motor mount that was going bad but I just had it replaced and the problem is the same. It seems like the problem comes from the front of the car possibly from the right side but I am not sure. The whole car shakes but mainly the steering wheel vibrates very bad like when you have bad rotors and are braking. That happens too which may or may not be the rotors. Anyway I am going to Florida soon with it and don't want to be scrambling my brains the whole ride. Any suggestions of what I could look at? A friend reccomended getting the tires balanced?? I've read they have a vibration problem because of rear dif fluid. I dont know when the last time it was changed so thats possible but would the vibration not come from the rear then? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 01 CR-V vibration at 60+mph

try to get your wheels balanced...
Old 01-27-2014, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wheel balance is a great first start.

When my prop shaft's rear joint failed the entire vehicle would vibrate like I was on a set of unbalanced wheels. It's a long shot but check the prop shaft joint at the rear diff.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could also be the axles non oem axles tend to shake they also dont have that lil weight on the shaft like the oem ones have just a thought.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my axle bearings exploded in the boot. i replaced the axle and everything was fine.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Things that affect wheel vibrations:

- Tire Balance
- Axle balance (usually signs of wearing out)
- Prop shaft balance
- Wheel bearing/hub assembly.

Tire balance is cheap, usually around 5-10$ a tire. Totally worth getting done regardless and eliminate it as a suspect. A bad balance will feel like the whole cars falling apart. And it can determine if your rims are bent or your tire belts have shifts/ect. A cheap alternative to a catastrophic failure.

Axle balance. Harder to determine, but will effect vibrations greatly. I've had some really bad vibs from a worn out drive shaft. Don't rule out the half shaft either. It sits in a bearing of it's own and when its worn it will vibrate. Try taking the wheels off and rotating the shafts by hand. If you feel extreme resistance or a lot of axial play, consider replacement. A torn boot is a definite replacement required. Moisture will deteriorate the internal bearings quickly. Try a locked turn, if any clicking is coming from the axles replace ASAP.

Prop shaft balance. This is usually not the case unless the U-joints are worn out. This is a fully machined shaft so balance is typically spot on. Look for any signs that it's been damaged, if not, it's probably not the cause.

Wheel bearings and hub. A worn out wheel bearing will feel like a bad tire balance. But it's actually because the hub is no longer running concentric to the axle, causing a wheel wobble. If this is the case replace the bearings IMMEDIATELY in pairs (fronts at a time, rears at a time) for peace of mind. If ones worn, the other is likely not too far behind.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And let's not rule out snow/ice! Packed snow and ice in the rims will cause the balance to be out. I've had a bad balance which went away once I cleaned off the ice/snow from the rim. Keep that in mind too if it came out of nowhere and went away on it's own.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks ludesrv that's the info i was looking for. As far as the axles go, from what I understand they only wear out due to the boot being cut and sand getting into the axle and destroying it. is that true or can they wear out naturally?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they will ware faster if the boot is cracked or slipped off a little. the grease will come out of the boot and cause them to ware a lot faster. try to just squeeze the boot and see how it feels. when i squeezed mine, you could feel the metal from the bearings inside all over in the boot. i replaced my axle and i was good to go. rode so smooth.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Axles wear out naturally, and pending your driving style.

Turning lock to lock and listening for any clicking is an indicator that the bearings are worn internally. If you ever end up having one torn apart, take a look at how they assemble. It's pretty neat and gives you an insight on what wears/why they click.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i do hear a noise when turning the wheel all the way and moving >.> i will try putting the spare on the front right and see if it helps but im assuming it probably needs that cv axle >.<
Old 02-01-2014, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i have narrowed it down. the noise only happens when i am going faster than 30mph and make a right hand turn of at least 45 degrees. it is not really a clicking though it sounds like a rubbing/grinding/metal on metal sound.

ludesrv when you say turning lock to lock to listen for clicking, do you mean while the car is in park? thanks!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would suspect wheel balance, wheel bearing, Tie rod end, in that order. Though the last two would most likely give you some uneven tire wear.

CVs could cause that grinding noise though. When my Del Sol needed Cvs it would make a grinding noise when cresting hills (as the weight lifted off the car) as well as tick when cornering. I replaced both of them and the noise went away.

A good tip i learned not to long ago, "something cant make noise if its not moving..." good for process of elimination. I would try turning the wheel lock to lock while driving as-well as sitting still to narrow your options.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Trial User

My 98 also had this issue. Problem pretty much went away when I had the tires balanced. I still get vibration when going over 75 mph But I'm not too worried about it because I rarely go over those speeds anyway. Hope that helps