Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

EG alignment camber needed????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post EG alignment camber needed????

My EG is in need for an alignment soon. The problem is driving me crazy is that do i really need front camber kits? my car is slightly dropped like 1.5 to 2 inches low and looks like i have strong inner tire ware? my second set of fair used rim/tires and i didn't get an alignment yet. people says toe eats and camber is not necessary? I already have the rear camber kit for my eg. The front tie rod ends need replacements also. ive already have them. i also need new tires for my rims. but before i install tires and get it aligned. is camber kits necessary. is the hardrace camber kit okay? for the front camber kit. can u get away with running camber and just adjusting toe?
hardrace fronts anyone got experience with them.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG alignment camber needed????

I have no camber kit up front and washers for the rear camber on my 93 hatch. Been running with no camber kit up front for about 7 years. It's fine but if i could i would have a camber kit up front also. The front tires do wear faster(not crazy fast) just faster than the rear tires with it like this. So you will be okay.

So not very necessary but it will be better if you had a camber kit up front from what i've seen on my car.

Also i didn't rotate my tires so if i did that it should have helped with the wear up front but whatever tires are up front would still wear more on the inside i would think because how the camber is up front.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your car has bad inner edge wear because of two reasons. You didn't align it after you dropped it and your tie rods are no good. Any change in geometry needs to be fixed with an alignment.Camber kits ARE NOT NECESSARY. Toe kills tires 10000x faster than an extra degree of negative camber.

Here's why. Take a two lines that are parallel. They distance between them never changes. Both lines point in the same direction. This is a good alignment. Your tires will not be trying to pull or push towards each other.

Now, take those same two lines and angle them both a degree away from each other. What happens? The distance between the lines grows as you travel. You are slowly dragging the inside edges of your tires away from each other every mile you put on them. Lets say you drive it like that for 5,000 miles. That means you've dragged your tires about 90 miles away from each other. This is why toe destroys your tires.

FIX THE TIE RODS, make sure the rest of your suspension is solid, then align.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: EG alignment camber needed????

Originally Posted by rvn2svn
Your car has bad inner edge wear because of two reasons. You didn't align it after you dropped it and your tie rods are no good. Any change in geometry needs to be fixed with an alignment.Camber kits ARE NOT NECESSARY. Toe kills tires 10000x faster than an extra degree of negative camber.

Here's why. Take a two lines that are parallel. They distance between them never changes. Both lines point in the same direction. This is a good alignment. Your tires will not be trying to pull or push towards each other.

Now, take those same two lines and angle them both a degree away from each other. What happens? The distance between the lines grows as you travel. You are slowly dragging the inside edges of your tires away from each other every mile you put on them. Lets say you drive it like that for 5,000 miles. That means you've dragged your tires about 90 miles away from each other. This is why toe destroys your tires.

FIX THE TIE RODS, make sure the rest of your suspension is solid, then align.

ok so i got another question about suspension. ive have started to have this noise up front of my car when driving very slow it only happens when i steer straight ahead. like from straight steering wheel to only 1/4 of a turn from straight turning left/or right my steering seems to make this door hinge like noise. i checked my car jacked up. no noise. the car has a manual steering rack btw. ball joints, upper lower checked seems no play up and down. i spin the tire no noise backing plate not touching anything looks clear. left/right feels solid? idk whats wrong? i steer it slowly up jacked up no noise smooth. when i drop it on the ground then it makes the noise? is my manual rack gone bad? what components could go bad. whats wrong i cant seem to find problem,
Old 01-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

-Check to make sure your ball joints are solid and no torn boots, they can make noise if they have a lot if dirt / no grease

-check your rack bushings and the large rubber bushing at the firewall. If the bushings that go around the rack are loose it could cause noise. If the big rubber gasket in the firewall is dry or ripped it can cause a "creaking door" sound.

There are a lot things it could be. May be a bad bushing, could be something internally wrong with the rack.Noises are pretty hard to diagnose over the interweb, may want to take it to an independent shop. Good luck with it
Old 01-20-2014, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by EG-SIXV-TEC
like from straight steering wheel to only 1/4 of a turn from straight turning left/or right my steering seems to make this door hinge like noise.
your balljoints badly need replacing. check them all. shake the suspension, feel for play. if any boot is ripped, its a sure sign it needs replacing anyway.

if you read that toe kills tires, and not camber, why do you need to ask again?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Toe-in or out is specified to prevent the front tires from "wandering" on changes in the road surface. Very few cars specify "Zero" toe. Most macpherson and wishbone suspensions specify toe-in.

Take the vehicle to a shop and measure the alignment as-is, after inspecting for and replacing loose and worn parts such as tie rods, ball joints, and bushings. All of these parts can produce noise during steering, and can be difficult to pinpoint. Inspect the joints for contamination, and the bushings for tearing/sagging.

Front inner tire wear is caused by three factors:
1: Too much toe-out (meaning the tires are pointed outward)
2: Too much negative camber (caused by a sagging spring or dropped suspension)
3: Any small combination of the above two coupled with a wheel that is too wide for the application. Wheel diameter increases inner tire wear at a mechanical advantage to zero camber.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Always get an alignment after you adjust the suspension, but I wouldn't worry about camber kits unless you'd like less of the cambered look