Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1997 Accord EX ABS modulator rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 1997 Accord EX ABS modulator rebuild

Again I am having difficulties with the ABS unit on our 1997 Honda Accord EX (Approximately 176K). I removed the ABS modulator and replaced and/or repaired the following:

Accumulator "O" Ring - Replaced
Pump "O" Ring - Replaced
Brake Fluid Reservoir - Replaced (plastic was starting to crack)

I removed/cleaned/applied Honda assembly fluid and torqued the six allen head cap screws to 110 inch/pounds. (I used the info in the recall notice for the 1996 Accord ABS).

I purchased a new Master Cylinder as the unit at NAPA was not all that expensive and I had the system down anyway. I bench bled the Master Cylinder before connecting it to the ABS unit.

I replaced the "repaired" unit, connected the six brake lines, added brake fluid and our Son helped the old man bleed the brakes. (I bench bled the ABS unit before installing in the car.) I next loosened the bleeder on the modulator to remove all air possible. We completely bled the system following the sequence listed in the Helm shop manual.

The brakes were GREAT. No issues with the ABS light, no motor running (except on initial start up) and no more fluid leaks. This was about four or five weeks ago. I thought I was either very lucky or I had some idea of what I was doing.......

Yesterday the motor started running for longer periods than normal. The motor also cycles periodically. I checked the reservoir on the Master Cylinder and the ABS modulator and both are near the "full" mark. I do not see any leaks around the Master Cylinder or ABS modulator. So much for my successful repair!

I have considered replacing the Accumulator, however, that is about a $200.00 gamble if it is not the cause of the motor run on. I would like to rebuild the ABS modulator, first, to make certain there is no internal damage or leaking internal seals or "O" rings. I am looking for a Kit to rebuild/reseal the hydraulic portion of the ABS modulator. I believe there is a check valve that holds pressure from the pump and I would also like to replace it. I cannot find a parts list or a source of parts for the unit. I have been unable to find an exploded diagram of the ABS modulator or a service manual for the unit. I presume the ABS modulator has pistons with "O" ring seals. I think I read the ABS modulator is actuated by solenoids for each wheel. I have not been able to located replacement solenoids (I don't think this is an issue at this point). I don't see how it could be all that difficult to reseal/rebuild the ABS modulator with an exploded view, shop manual and a source of new parts. I prefer OEM parts. I know they are unavailable for the Honda dealer, however, they should be available for the manufacturer who built the unit for Honda.

I thought about purchasing an ABS modulator from a salvage yard, however, I am concerned I will be buying someone else's problem. I would not mind purchasing a unit from our local You Pull if I can find a rebuild kit.

Honda offers a new and rebuilt unit. I want to spend $1,500 to $2,000 in parts on a 1997 car with 176K miles. I would like to fix the ABS system and I thought I had it repaired.

Thank you in advance for your kind thoughts and assistance.

ps For the record...... I am not totally nuts!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1997 Accord EX ABS modulator rebuild

Can anyone explain how to tilt the abs pump unit if it has an air lock? Or a simple way to release an air lock? Inadvertantly released too much fluid under pressure, now pump will not draw in fluid. Just runs on with no load. Working on 97 accord EX.
Before I did this, the abs pump would run for a few seconds, the shut off, repeatedly....5 or 6 times. Then abs light would come on. I figured the modulator needed to be bled. Released too much pressure. Now it seems ive got an air lock. Please help.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:52 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't know what thread it was in, but someone had shown that the pump gearrotor or a pin can stick and not allow the pump to prime. The simple fix was to pull the pump apart and clean the pin.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Back from the Dead I know...
My question is can I use a 99 integra Modulator Motor on a 97 integra?
My buddies nicely built 97 Teggy has 1 problem ABS Light.
I have the 99 and was thinking about putting my 99 Modulator on his 97 to see if that will solve the Leaky Accumulater issue, as my 99 Unit does not have this Accumulator and never did..
Old 10-01-2015, 04:16 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ThE HeLLRaZoR
Back from the Dead I know...
My question is can I use a 99 integra Modulator Motor on a 97 integra?
Welcome to the Accord Forum.