Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B18c1 over heating plz help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18c1 over heating plz help

i have a 99 em1 with a b18c1 swap. for the last couple months it has been using lot of coolant never over heated but the coolant would just disappear however a couple days ago i noticed my car would over heat a little bit when ever i came to a stop or slowed down. then would return to normal when i would start to speed up. did some research and changed the thermostat fixed the problem with over heating but was still using a lot of coolant. last night on my way home it started to over heat so i parked the car ate some dinner then went outside drove around the block and the car was over heating again and my heater was not working so i parked it again got up this morning check and it had no coolant in the over fill tank or rad. filled it up let it get up to regular temp its always at turn on my heater and nothing drove around the block and again it started to over heat. i have also noticed the my crank poly is wobbly and there was coolant leaking from the water pump. did my thermostat go out again, is it my rad, my heater core or my water pump i dnt wanna pull the water pump unless i have to what can it be my water pump? would that cause my heater to stop working and my coolant to disappear and making my car over heat. there is no white smoke coming out of my exhaust and no oil in my coolant so i dont think its my head gasket. plz help also it boosted would that have anthing to do with it.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18c1 over heating plz help

Originally Posted by MikeB16boosted
i have a 99 em1 with a b18c1 swap. for the last couple months it has been using lot of coolant never over heated but the coolant would just disappear however a couple days ago i noticed my car would over heat a little bit when ever i came to a stop or slowed down. then would return to normal when i would start to speed up. did some research and changed the thermostat fixed the problem with over heating but was still using a lot of coolant. last night on my way home it started to over heat so i parked the car ate some dinner then went outside drove around the block and the car was over heating again and my heater was not working so i parked it again got up this morning check and it had no coolant in the over fill tank or rad. filled it up let it get up to regular temp its always at turn on my heater and nothing drove around the block and again it started to over heat. i have also noticed the my crank poly is wobbly and there was coolant leaking from the water pump. did my thermostat go out again, is it my rad, my heater core or my water pump i dnt wanna pull the water pump unless i have to what can it be my water pump? would that cause my heater to stop working and my coolant to disappear and making my car over heat. there is no white smoke coming out of my exhaust and no oil in my coolant so i dont think its my head gasket. plz help also it boosted would that have anthing to do with it.
A similar case happened to my car just like it happened to yours and I would advise you to park your car over night and look to see if there is coolant leaking from your water pump. If there is coolant leaking, you probably didn't use some kind of Hondabond when you installed your water pump. Hope that helps out my friend.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I wouldnt drive it. DO you have a CEL

THis happend to me in my old DA9 your car needs a tune up, maybe a bad thermostat ? or headgasket
Old 11-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're loosing coolant somewhere, and you say there is no smoke or oil in your coolant, so your head gasket is probably fine. You mentioned there is coolant leaking out of your water pump, if thats where all the coolant is leaking from, you definitely need to replace it. If the water pump is not pushing the coolant the way it should, it may not have the pressure to push the coolant through your heater core. Is there any reason to believe there could be excessive corrosion in your cooling system or radiator? When is the last time the water pump was replaced?
Old 11-30-2013, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have been using tap water for the last month or two. since it was loosing a lot of coolant didnt want to keep spending 20 for antifreez every 2 days. do you think that might have something to do with it? and my water pump is leaking alot more then before.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im using a obd1 ecu so i haven't checked for a cel.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:00 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

If it's leaking from the water pump, remove and replace the water pump. While the pump is off, you should also do your timing belt and tensioner. Follow the FSM procedure, and use good quality parts - OEM or Gates are best. It's really that simple. If it's obviously leaking from the water pump, you are completely overthinking this.

What OBD revision you're using doesn't matter. If your CEL is on, pull it. You don't need any special tools or anything. Read the FAQ's sticky - there's a how-to in there.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok. so if my water pump is bad is that the reason my heater stopped working?
Old 11-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say so, even if there is another problem the water pump needs to be replaced. Can you tell if its leaking from the where the pulley is attached to the pump? Or is it only leaking where the pump mates up to the block? If its coming from where the pulley is, it's definitely shot, without doubt.

Also, I agree with the racist, lol. Do the timing belt and tensioner while you're in there. I always recommend only using OEM replacement parts.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok and i cant see exactly where its leaking it just looks like its coming from the crank pulley. do you have a link on DIY on how to replace water pump.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:00 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Yes. Your heater uses coolant to warm the cabin air. Without hot coolant flowing through the heater core, your heater won't do anything.

As for a DIY, there should be one in the FAQ's sticky, but I would highly recommend downloading/buying/borrowing a factory service manual. Nothing is better than the DIY in the FSM.