Bring the 2015 Civic Type R VTEC Turbo to North America
Sign this petition
http://www.change.org/petitions/amer...-north-america

Old 11-26-2013, 06:10 AM
j13
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sign petition to bring the Civic Type R VTEC Turbo to North America

won't happen...theirs a reason we never got all the 80s and 90s Japanese sport cars...hell the states barely got integra type r and a few cool other cars. tree hugger states won't allow it
Old 11-26-2013, 02:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you for posting this link to the petition I started last week,

It is coming, its all about the money. Let me remind you guys only 3823 ITR were sold in the states. This time around it is going to do well, my guess is around 10thousand cars per 1-2 months when it goes on sale.

The 2 liter turbo engine is already confirmed by my VERY ULTRA RELIABLE honda sources.

The only question I guess is what they are going to name it. Maybe it will be the Civic Turbo instead of the TYPE R but I am thinking they will keep the name the same as the european counter part. The car itself will look a little bit different but it will be better.

Thank you for signing the petition.

I already received a formal reply from Honda USA and I am sure you can guess what it was.

Of course Honda is not going to disrupt Civic Si sales by announcing the 10th Civic generation but it is coming and for once we are going to get a turbo Civic. I am personally very psyched, sure it will not be AWD but let;s take it one step at a time.

George K was the 3rd or 5th person to sign the petition so thank you George!

We are close to 2500 signatures, I would like to see it at 10k if possible but for my own personal curiosity, I am convinced it is coming because of the details I heard about the engine, the 7 speed tranny, the turbo that will be used, the bore and stroke, it is really going to happen.

THank you for reading and potentially considering supporting this petition.

Nikos
Old 11-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nikos
thank you for posting this link to the petition I started last week,

It is coming, its all about the money. Let me remind you guys only 3823 ITR were sold in the states. This time around it is going to do well, my guess is around 10thousand cars per 1-2 months when it goes on sale.

The 2 liter turbo engine is already confirmed by my VERY ULTRA RELIABLE honda sources.

The only question I guess is what they are going to name it. Maybe it will be the Civic Turbo instead of the TYPE R but I am thinking they will keep the name the same as the european counter part. The car itself will look a little bit different but it will be better.

Thank you for signing the petition.

I already received a formal reply from Honda USA and I am sure you can guess what it was.

Of course Honda is not going to disrupt Civic Si sales by announcing the 10th Civic generation but it is coming and for once we are going to get a turbo Civic. I am personally very psyched, sure it will not be AWD but let;s take it one step at a time.

George K was the 3rd or 5th person to sign the petition so thank you George!

We are close to 2500 signatures, I would like to see it at 10k if possible but for my own personal curiosity, I am convinced it is coming because of the details I heard about the engine, the 7 speed tranny, the turbo that will be used, the bore and stroke, it is really going to happen.

THank you for reading and potentially considering supporting this petition.

Nikos
what about California? is the civic only going to be a 49 state emissions car? and, if you happened to know, what would be the msrp?
Old 11-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would so buy one.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

signed
Old 11-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Done.,...
Old 11-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bingo...
Old 11-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nikos, thanks for taking the initiative to start the petition and the website. I signed the petition last night. I look at it as a symbol of support, and I would like to see several thousand signatures. Several years ago, Temple of VTEC had a letter writing campaign to tell Honda we wanted the FD2 CTR, and as great as that car was, I guess due to doubt and pessimism that it would work, less than 100 people participated, IIRC. I hope that by now, enough time has gone by that enough pent-up demand for a real performance Honda and frustration at Honda's lineup will get people showing more support.

I've been wanting and waiting for a real Civic Type-R since the EK9 in 1998. Years of disappointment, obviously. Except for the DC2 ITR - and I bought one and still have it. I still can't understand why Honda hasn't leveraged the Type-R brand in the US as a halo. I was very impassioned about getting the FD2 here, especially after WongKN from TOV was able to ultimately get Honda to sell it in Malaysia. After we missed out on the FD2, I became very pissed off about it and very critical of Honda product planning. I have a Taffeta White FA5 as my daily driver; that's as close to the CTR as I got; Mugen Si not really considered. I'd rather not rant about that, anyway.

Before this post gets too long, thanks again. You've got me daydreaming about this 2.0 liter turbo. I hope your sources really are correct. I will buy a Type-R the moment one arrives at my dealer, in Championship White. I'm sure you've heard many times from others, but rumors about Honda products, especially performance products, are hard to believe; they almost always result in disappointment. For example, the last rumor going around about the 2014 Civic Si a few weeks before the SEMA debut stated "from sources" that the K24 engine had been further developed with strengthened internals to allow for an 8000rpm rev limit, and ~220-230 hp, and the plan was to "recapture a Type-R sort of experience". Well, reality came crashing and the result was a retuned exhaust good for 4hp and 4 lb-ft.

Anyway, I hope it finally happens! It would be great to see people who felt they had no choice but to look outside Honda for a sporting car, come back into the fold.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by PeterVSays

what about California? is the civic only going to be a 49 state emissions car? and, if you happened to know, what would be the msrp?
California will not be a problem. MSRP I am sure will be up there but again it depends on the name and whether this will be honda or Acura or who knows what they will call it. Honda is conservative so they will not take chances. I am not concerned about the price because when you starve your supporters from Perfomance once it comes it will sell whether its 28 32,or 36. Then once the hype ends and things settle down in order for it to do well it needs to be priced right and that up to honda to research.

The only bad news if you call them bad news is that it will be announced in 2015 and its coming for 2016.

The main reason for this is because the 9th generation civic cycle would be too short if they did it for 2015.,there is no time because even though they have the engine already they do not have the north american chassis yet.

The engine will have the header up front bseries style but the tranny like be on kseries side and there for the engine will rotate like kseries. The bore center will be 94mm so sleeving will be the same as the k, h and F series.

The turbo civic beat the NSX type R time at the ring. I believe that is what they will market once the car is for sale in Europe.

Here s what honda wrote in renponse to the petition

" Nikos,

Thanks for sending the link. *It's great to see so much enthusiasm for our
global products! *I can't promise anything, but we'll take your support of
Type-R into account. *It is a fantastic car.

Chris Martin
Honda Public Relations
Honda North America, Inc.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the performance is right there with the European CTR under development, then $30k-$32k would be reasonable. The next chassis is supposed to be modular, scalable, shared with the Accord. The good thing is our Civic isn't shared with the Fit chassis, so we should still see multilink rear and not torsion beam. Also hopefully a shorter cowl and generally better outward visibility than the Euro version. It would also be *great* if Honda finds a way to allow ACE and front double A-arms to co-exist. Fingers crossed on that; haven't heard anything, only a wish of mine.

The waiting is definitely the hard part. It's hard not to think that the longer the wait until something is announced, the greater the chance the beancounters or some MBA will delete it from the model matrix. But Honda still has two more model years of 9th (derp) gen Si to sell. Interesting that the 2014 doesn't go on sale until Spring.

So, bore x stroke...... 86 x 86?

Also, that's really interesting and positive that Chris Martin responded. Better than some form letter type response, including words such as "no plans at this time". Yeowch.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 330R
Nikos, thanks for taking the initiative to start the petition and the website. I signed the petition last night. I look at it as a symbol of support, and I would like to see several thousand signatures. Several years ago, Temple of VTEC had a letter writing campaign to tell Honda we wanted the FD2 CTR, and as great as that car was, I guess due to doubt and pessimism that it would work, less than 100 people participated, IIRC. I hope that by now, enough time has gone by that enough pent-up demand for a real performance Honda and frustration at Honda's lineup will get people showing more support.

I've been wanting and waiting for a real Civic Type-R since the EK9 in 1998. Years of disappointment, obviously. Except for the DC2 ITR - and I bought one and still have it. I still can't understand why Honda hasn't leveraged the Type-R brand in the US as a halo. I was very impassioned about getting the FD2 here, especially after WongKN from TOV was able to ultimately get Honda to sell it in Malaysia. After we missed out on the FD2, I became very pissed off about it and very critical of Honda product planning. I have a Taffeta White FA5 as my daily driver; that's as close to the CTR as I got; Mugen Si not really considered. I'd rather not rant about that, anyway.

Before this post gets too long, thanks again. You've got me daydreaming about this 2.0 liter turbo. I hope your sources really are correct. I will buy a Type-R the moment one arrives at my dealer, in Championship White. I'm sure you've heard many times from others, but rumors about Honda products, especially performance products, are hard to believe; they almost always result in disappointment. For example, the last rumor going around about the 2014 Civic Si a few weeks before the SEMA debut stated "from sources" that the K24 engine had been further developed with strengthened internals to allow for an 8000rpm rev limit, and ~220-230 hp, and the plan was to "recapture a Type-R sort of experience". Well, reality came crashing and the result was a retuned exhaust good for 4hp and 4 lb-ft.

Anyway, I hope it finally happens! It would be great to see people who felt they had no choice but to look outside Honda for a sporting car, come back into the fold.
In my mind its 100%. Not a single ounce of doubt. I just cannot disclose my sources.

2016 is a long way but I guess time flies when you have kseries bseries and bseries to play around with while waiting...

I wish honda tuning magazine picked up the petition as well as honda day but in a way I am not surprised either.

Funny fact. I was driving home with my 1984 crx 1300 and I started the petition during my 120 mile drive home. Pulled over bought the vtecturbo.com domain and kept on driving. I have been bitching about honda since they quit formula one racing so this petition was a lot of frustration summed up in a few words. Honda Japan is about racing. Honda USA is about accords and SUVs. Time for a change.

Thank you for the kind words
Old 11-26-2013, 07:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If the performance is right there with the European CTR under development, then $30k-$32k would be reasonable. The next chassis is supposed to be modular, scalable, shared with the Accord. The good thing is our Civic isn't shared with the Fit chassis, so we should still see multilink rear and not torsion beam. Also hopefully a shorter cowl and generally better outward visibility than the Euro version. It would also be *great* if Honda finds a way to allow ACE and front double A-arms to co-exist. Fingers crossed on that; haven't heard anything, only a wish of mine.

The waiting is definitely the hard part. It's hard not to think that the longer the wait until something is announced, the greater the chance the beancounters or some MBA will delete it from the model matrix. But Honda still has two more model years of 9th (derp) gen Si to sell. Interesting that the 2014 doesn't go on sale until Spring.

So, bore x stroke...... 86 x 86?
Yes I was told that rdx did great with turbo and 86mm bore so there is no reason to change that plus square design, etc

Can you imagine now that we know what a stock k20 86mm can do at 25 psi , this car is going to make 100whp extra easy.

Direct injection calls for a new series but the mounting points seem familiar.

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  87.3 KB
Old 11-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Signed!
Old 11-26-2013, 09:52 PM
I said I don't want a title!

. For example, the last rumor going around about the 2014 Civic Si a few weeks before the SEMA debut stated "from sources" that the K24 engine had been further developed with strengthened internals to allow for an 8000rpm rev limit, and ~220-230 hp, and the plan was to "recapture a Type-R sort of experience". Well, reality came crashing and the result was a retuned exhaust good for 4hp and 4 lb-ft.
The piston speeds of a K24 @ 8000rpm is not something Honda would feel real good about putting a warranty on. Their engines are good...but not that good. Why this rumor was started is beyond me.

I still wonder why the current Si isn't enough? How much HP do you want out of a FWD car? We've seen the turbocharged Mazdaspeeds, GTIs, Ford ST's, etc...they all are approaching too much HP for a FWD compact, fall on their face at higher RPMs (small turbo for torque!) and generally make performance driving a chore when passing 9/10ths. A vtec turbo CTR making north of 250hp wouldn't be any different.

If anything, I'd rather see Honda hot rod a R18 and stuff that in something like a Fit (with multilink rear, of course). The Type R name is not all about power--it's about having a car that'll carve corners like a scalpel, be nimble and provide excellent feedback. Nothing in Hondas current lineup, both USDM, EDM or JDM I would describe is like that. The name has been watered down lately.

The current CTR is heavy, has crappy suspension, is an odd looking 5-door hatch, etc. Why do folks want that car stateside? Why would it really sell any better than the other offerings? If a CTR comes over, it had best be special. And not just by having a turbocharged engine, either.

Honestly, I'd take a 2014 Si sedan over a EDM/JDM CTR right now.

If anything, Honda needs to apply the "Type R" badge to an Acura offering...and the car had better be special. I'd love to see them take the TSX wishbone chassis, massage the 3.5 V6 like we know they can, add a real diff, real brembos, real suspension, lightweight materials, etc. and make a car that'll make a BMW owner think twice and would be a flagship model (both showroom and racing) for a luxury performance brand (like the NSX was, like the DC2 ITR was).

I don't mean to rain on the parade here, but the CTR just doesn't do it for me. Outside of Honda reliability, it'll be about the same as the Focus ST if it makes its way over here (and is affordable). Is that truly what we want with a Type R badge on it?
Old 11-27-2013, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

signed
Old 11-27-2013, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

signed and I would buy in a heart beat!!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Done!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Painfully Stupid

It'd be just another fan boy ricer car.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

signed
Old 11-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: Sign petition to bring the Civic Type R VTEC Turbo to North America

Done!!!
Old 02-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hopefully this is true.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

signed! not a huge fan of the new civics but this would be awesome.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Todd00
The piston speeds of a K24 @ 8000rpm is not something Honda would feel real good about putting a warranty on. Their engines are good...but not that good. Why this rumor was started is beyond me.

I still wonder why the current Si isn't enough? How much HP do you want out of a FWD car? We've seen the turbocharged Mazdaspeeds, GTIs, Ford ST's, etc...they all are approaching too much HP for a FWD compact, fall on their face at higher RPMs (small turbo for torque!) and generally make performance driving a chore when passing 9/10ths. A vtec turbo CTR making north of 250hp wouldn't be any different.

If anything, I'd rather see Honda hot rod a R18 and stuff that in something like a Fit (with multilink rear, of course). The Type R name is not all about power--it's about having a car that'll carve corners like a scalpel, be nimble and provide excellent feedback. Nothing in Hondas current lineup, both USDM, EDM or JDM I would describe is like that. The name has been watered down lately.

The current CTR is heavy, has crappy suspension, is an odd looking 5-door hatch, etc. Why do folks want that car stateside? Why would it really sell any better than the other offerings? If a CTR comes over, it had best be special. And not just by having a turbocharged engine, either.

Honestly, I'd take a 2014 Si sedan over a EDM/JDM CTR right now.

If anything, Honda needs to apply the "Type R" badge to an Acura offering...and the car had better be special. I'd love to see them take the TSX wishbone chassis, massage the 3.5 V6 like we know they can, add a real diff, real brembos, real suspension, lightweight materials, etc. and make a car that'll make a BMW owner think twice and would be a flagship model (both showroom and racing) for a luxury performance brand (like the NSX was, like the DC2 ITR was).

I don't mean to rain on the parade here, but the CTR just doesn't do it for me. Outside of Honda reliability, it'll be about the same as the Focus ST if it makes its way over here (and is affordable). Is that truly what we want with a Type R badge on it?
Buy a Ford Focus ST out of spite and just put a Type R badge on it. It should
beat an NSX R around the Nürburgring.