Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

HOW TO: Diagnosing Stuck Clutch Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got off work tonight jumped in my car and my clutch pedal had no pressure and just dropped to the floor at the slightest touch with about a 1/4 inch of pressure I could use to shift. I made it home and did some research and solved my problem and my clutch is now fine. Heres how to diagnosis your problem if this happens to you:
1. No pressure means no fluid so check your clutch ressovior for fluid (found mine empty. Next thing is find where its coming from.
2. Check slave cylinder by pulling back rubber boot and if you see fluid leaking from it replace it. Also try and push the fork connected to the slave into the slave. If the slave is good this should be hard to do. If it is easy replace the slave. (On my car the slave was fine)
3. Check the master cylinder. To do this move the drivers seat back and lay on the floor board looking up under the dash at your clutch pedal. You can see where the master cylinder (literally a cylinder sticking out of the firewall) meets the clutch. Press the clutch with your hand and see if fluid is coming out of the cylinder from the inside (this should be easy if your clutch has no pressure) on my car I saw fluid on the master and it had actually dripped to my floor mat when I pressed the clutch. I replaced master cylinder.
3.if the slave and master weren't your problem search all clutch lines for a leak. Seal once found.
4. After you replace leaking part add dot 3 or 4 brake fluid then bleed the clutch as follows: push pedal to floor, open bleeder to release fluid and air, close bleeder, lift pedal up, push pedal down, open bleeder, close bleeder, lift pedal up. and keep doing this until no air comes out. NEVER lift the pedal back up with the bleeder open.
5. Your clutch should be back to normal! If not you probably need a new clutch or you broke the ball thingy in the tranny that connects to the slave fork.

Hope this post helps some people. Its my first "how to" thread sorry for no pics but I literally just did all this in the dark lol

Last edited by b20vteg757; 11-21-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: HOW TO: Diagnosing Stuck Clutch Pedal

Originally Posted by b20vteg757
4. After you replace leaking part add dot 3 and 4 brake fluid to reservoir and bleed the clutch. You need two people. One person unscrews the little bolt on the slave some and the other presses the clutch over and over till the slave side person sees no bubbles and closes the bolt back.
never mix dot 3 with dot 4!
and your bleeding description is not correct. leaving the bleeder open when the clutch pedal is moved in and out will continually suck air back into the system. need to push pedal to floor, open bleeder to release fluid and air, close bleeder, lift pedal up, push pedal down, open bleeder, close bleeder, lift pedal up. and keep doing this until no air comes out. NEVER lift the pedal back up with the bleeder open
Old 11-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman

and your bleeding description is not correct. leaving the bleeder open when the clutch pedal is moved in and out will continually suck air back into the system. need to push pedal to floor, open bleeder to release fluid and air, close bleeder, lift pedal up, push pedal down, open bleeder, close bleeder, lift pedal up. and keep doing this until no air comes out. NEVER lift the pedal back up with the bleeder open
Meant dot 3 or 4 not "and" my bad. But yes your correct about the bleeding. I wasn't really descriptive there. This is meant as a diagnosing the problem thread not a how to bleed the system. Thanks for the correction though. I should have been more accurate with my wording
Old 11-21-2013, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman

Edited post
Old 11-21-2013, 11:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Higher numbers are backwards compatible but lower numbers are not forward compatible.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:35 PM
Trial User

??