Notices

Clutch/Transmission Problems???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Transmission Problems???

Hi all,

I'm having a problem I hope someone can help me solve.
First off, I have an 89 CRX Si with a DOHC ZC Engine and Transmission. Clutch is about 3 years old, but the car has been driven maybe 500mi since then ( I dont drive this car much at all!)

The other day when reversing out of my driveway my car stalled violently and shut off. I originally thought the engine blew up! I put it back in neutral and it started right up. I noticed that it wouldnt go into any gears and that the clutch pedal was very loose and had no spring or tension to it. I checked the cable to make sure it wasnt broken. It was fine. The clutch release arm was very loose and didnt have any tension or spring to it (I can move it all the way until the arm hits the side of the transfer case).

I've had a broken release bearing before so I thought that was it. I pulled the transmission and noticed that the bearing was fine and the pressure plate looks great, but the release fork spring was broken where it attachs to the release bearing.

I understand that the broken spring would make the downstroke of the pedal feel loose when engaging the cltuch, but the bearing was there and in the right spot, so shouldnt I at least be able to disengage the clutch and switch gears?

And why am I able to move release arm freely by hand with no resistance? The bearing and pressure plate is still fine, so I should at least be able to feel some resistance when manually moving the arm up.

Could something else be misaligned or broken that I'm just not seeing? The clutch and pressure plate are pretty new. They each have about 500mi on it since I rarely drive the car.

Any input would be great appreciated!

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Clutch/Transmission Problems???

Originally Posted by Moaltar
Hi all,

I'm having a problem I hope someone can help me solve.
First off, I have an 89 CRX Si with a DOHC ZC Engine and Transmission. Clutch is about 3 years old, but the car has been driven maybe 500mi since then ( I dont drive this car much at all!)

The other day when reversing out of my driveway my car stalled violently and shut off. I originally thought the engine blew up! I put it back in neutral and it started right up. I noticed that it wouldnt go into any gears and that the clutch pedal was very loose and had no spring or tension to it. I checked the cable to make sure it wasnt broken. It was fine. The clutch release arm was very loose and didnt have any tension or spring to it (I can move it all the way until the arm hits the side of the transfer case).

I've had a broken release bearing before so I thought that was it. I pulled the transmission and noticed that the bearing was fine and the pressure plate looks great, but the release fork spring was broken where it attachs to the release bearing.

I understand that the broken spring would make the downstroke of the pedal feel loose when engaging the cltuch, but the bearing was there and in the right spot, so shouldnt I at least be able to disengage the clutch and switch gears?

And why am I able to move release arm freely by hand with no resistance? The bearing and pressure plate is still fine, so I should at least be able to feel some resistance when manually moving the arm up.

Could something else be misaligned or broken that I'm just not seeing? The clutch and pressure plate are pretty new. They each have about 500mi on it since I rarely drive the car.

Any input would be great appreciated!

Thanks everyone!
I would say fix that. Maybe you toasted your clutch somehow. If that's all you see, replace the throwout bearing and that and try it again.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess thats all I can do at this point. I ordered a release arm spring and clutch fork today. So I'll replace those two and go from there. I hope the clutch isnt already burned out. It doesnt even have that many miles on it.

I'll report back with pics and everything when I get the parts in.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moaltar
I guess thats all I can do at this point. I ordered a release arm spring and clutch fork today. So I'll replace those two and go from there. I hope the clutch isnt already burned out. It doesnt even have that many miles on it.

I'll report back with pics and everything when I get the parts in.
It may or may not have gotten some damage or something. Get some pics and someone can definitely help.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are the pics of the transmission and clutch. Let me know if anything looks questionable.

Not sure if you can make it out, but the release spring is broken and doesnt attach to the bearing anymore (honda discontinued this part, not sure where to get a new one).

https://honda-tech.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1382382993

Clutch looks fine and the pressure plate fingers are stiff and none of them are broken or worn.

Release bearing also looks fine, and doesnt seem to be damaged. It moves smoothly and doesnt make any noise.

The transmission seems to work fine. Gears changed without issue (except when the release spring broke.)

I also wanted to note that when the transmission was on the engine, the release arm pictured could be moved by hand (without any resistance) all the way up until it the lever maxes out. Not sure why that was. The bearing is there and in the proper place.
Attached Images