Notices
Introduce Yourself If you're new to Honda-Tech, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your ride!!

Beyond the obligatory intro post. 99 DX Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beyond the obligatory intro post. 99 DX Hatch, Pics added

HI,

I thought I'd just like to go beyond the simple intro post and give some details about me, the kid and the car.

Me: New to working on these small cars. More used to working on old Fords. My last Ford was a 79 F150 4x4 which I had to sell because it drank too much of the Saudi Koolaid.

Kid: 17 yr old high school senior that until now hasn't really showed more than a fleeting interest in anything except online gaming. This has sparked some interest so I'm running with it.

Car: I've had small imports before but they were just daily drivers and I didn't do anything except take them and have routine maintenance done. As a matter of fact this car is a replacement for a 06 Suzuki Forenza sedan that was totaled and instead of financing a newer car we decided to get a "beater". As mentioned above this little EK has really sparked interest in in the kid so it has become more than a beater and now has become a slow developing project. I haven't replaced my truck and instead have been using the funds to fix up this car a little bit. This has caused a the classic 2 car/3 driver bind until Momma decides what car she wants (it's her turn) and I get to take over her Cherokee.

Well it's a pretty much stock DX with a D16Y7 and 5 speed tranny. The only "mod" it had was the rims and low profile rubber. It had a massive dent right behind the driver door which the seller told us the owner previously had half assed pounded out when someone backed into him and used the insurance money for other purposes.

In order to get it to pass inspection I had to replace the rack and pinion, so much for the "minor" power steering leak. I corrected that with a $65 JY rack $100 NAPA hose, $20 in pressure lines and lots of verbal lubrication. The trailing arm bushings and the right rear upper control arm. The rear toe also wasn't correct so the perfect looking tires had enough inside edge wear to fail them, found a full set of replacements on the local classifieds.

After that we just drove it as is. 2-3 months down the line we swapped in a instrument cluster with tach since the kid was missing the tach the Suzuki had. I found it on eBay that was only about 6k off the one in it for $60. Then turned around and sold the one out of the car on eBay for $40.

The so called mufffer pretty much fell off last spirng and I replaced it with a $35 self serve wrecking yard muffler off a 92 Accord, I don't what type it is but it is a really good muffler. It sounds good but isn't annoyingly loud unless you take the insert out of the end. I just used some Autozone clamps and adaptors and has been holding up really well.

The kid has been taking a community ed class on body repair. The hood had more dips and dents in it than could ever be repaired so I replaced it with a wrecking yard hood that had one dent that had been shoddily repaired. He has, for the most part, corrected the big dent and some other minor issues on the rest of the body including the hood dent. I bought an eBay black insert headlight, smoke fog light and "Si" grill set. I also got some certifit bumpers I've modded the front for diy mesh inserts we'll install everything once the paint is on.

The cup holders on this car are a joke and the lack of center console is annoying so I found a console at yet another junk yard dash back from a 96 for $45. Grandma is going to freshen up the shift boot and arm rest as we'll be set on that too.

There are the "have to do", "like to get to" and "would be really cool" lists, both mine and the kid's, which I'll follow up with later since I've already made this post way tooo long.

Again, hello, thanks in advance for some awesome input and feed back and I look forward to being a member here.

Last edited by BeatDX; 10-15-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Beyond the obligatory intro post. 99 DX Hatch

added some pics
Old 11-22-2013, 08:13 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

not an EK
Old 11-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
not an EK
Do half of your posts say that????
Old 11-22-2013, 08:30 AM

it seems like it

Old 11-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
it seems like it

Cool, to get my post count up I'll follow you around and correct.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:06 AM

Just make sure to follow me to GDD

https://honda-tech.com/forums/general-discussion-debate-40/
Old 12-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Old 03-27-2014, 03:27 PM
INTECHNICOLOR

Is "the kid" some kind of inside joke? Or are you referring to your child? Yourself in third person? What the hell.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Blackpin93
Is "the kid" some kind of inside joke? Or are you referring to your child? Yourself in third person? What the hell.
Well, I'm not a creative writer. Full fledged pain in the *** high school punk.