Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

FelPro Oil Pan Gaskets...USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FelPro Oil Pan Gaskets...USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

I wanted to update everyone on an alarming pattern/problem that I encountered recently while trying to fix some oil leaks on my 96 Accord 2.2 VTEC w/5spd.
First and foremost I've been using FelPro gaskets almost exclusively since like 2001 on all sorts of makes and models...they're cheap and I felt (until recently) pretty good quality. I've changed FelPro head gaskets, seals, O-rings, valve covers you name it and never had a problem.

In trying to narrow down oil leaks I thought I'd start from the ground up and replace my oil pan gasket because I'd never done it. It was the factory original and hard as a rock...replaced with my trusty Felpro. Its the only part available at Napa, Autozone, O'Reilly Auto Parts, Carquest, and Advanced...they have a freaking monopoly.

That damn gasket didn't last me six months, and yes I used an inch pounds torque wrench every time to install the pan. Applied liquid gasket like the manual says, etc etc. It started leaking and I was about to tear the tranny out thinking it was the rear main till I noticed a flap of orange rubber sticking out. I've got limited pics but the gasket was split in like five different spots. I didn't think much of it and thought perhaps it just sat on the shelf too long. Got my money back and got another Felpro pan gasket.

The second gasket didn't last me a month. What scared me most was I had just done a head gasket and was watching fluid levels like a hawk. I filled the tank, oil level was holding steady for the first time in years, and drove five miles home. Turn into town and get a low oil pressure light...nothing on dipstick and there's oil just pouring out (not even a drip) near the rear main. Split in the exact same corner.

After that I said F*CK IT and drove an hour down to the Honda Rapership for an OEM factory pan gasket. Quality that is. Needless to say I haven't had any problems since and I doubt very much so that that one year FelPro warranty would have bought me a new motor!!!

First gasket is on the top, you can see multiple splits. Second gasket laid over the tire.
Attached Images   
Old 09-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: FelPro Oil Pan Gaskets...USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Felpro oil pan gaskets suck *****. But if you don't torque them properly they are almost destined to fail almost instantly. Choose your pick on what the cause was.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-21-2013, 08:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'm using a fell pro oil pan gasket hope it didn't rip like that one. Mine is blue though and is made from the "Permadry" technology. Is the red one like that as well? Maybe you're just getting old gaskets.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Installation error. Plain and simple.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:02 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

From where it was split it looks like the fastener was over torqued, causing the gasket to split. But if the oil pan rail was deformed in some way it would also lead to an uneven pressure distribution, similar to over tightened fastener.
Anytime you are dealing with a stamped steel oil pan, valve cover, etc always dry fit it without the gasket and make sure it lays flat against the sealing surfaces with no gaps and no rocking. I spent several hours on tweaking a steel oil pan to a block back in '98. Still have that car and that oil pan/engine combination. Not even a hint of oil anywhere near that gasket.

When installing stamped tin work, I will only use steel reinforced gaskets. These gaskets will prevent crushing the softer material, and usually have a steel grommet at the fastener for easier torque setting.

Currently I am a fanboi of VICTOR REINZ gaskets, cant think of the line but they have a steel mesh reinforced gaskets that, although they do not state it, are reusable. Great on older American V8s when checking valve lash.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know about you guys but I don't want to use a gasket that tears apart like its made out of paper around the bolt holes. Under light even pressure (by hand when playing with the old gaskets) they'll start to rip even where there wasn't already a tear...gaskets are too soft and can't stretch/compress. There's no give to them. I've pulled old gaskets out that have more give than this...

Installation error? Really? I've rebuilt multiple cylinder heads and transmissions, all of which are still running. In college I worked in shops and changed oil/tranny pan gaskets all the time and never had one come back; I think I can handle a pan gasket. I know how to use a torque wrench as I stated (and when to use inch vs ft lbs)...and I've tested it and always turn it back to zero for storage. I'd rather take my chances using high temp RTV than another felpro... You wanna play Russian roulette with your motor that's up to you.

Where the front case bolts to the block there is an ever so slight ridge that barely catches a fingernail, took the edge down on the first install with the razor blade. I really don't think that's the issue. I cleaned all surfaces clean and smooth with a sharp razor blade laid flat (not scouring the surface) as I always have.

My father and brother-in-laws who farm and turn wrenches constantly looked at them and all thought it was bullsh*t. Leave it to a forum to say otherwise...

I prefer steel reinforced gaskets as well. My point in posting was that they have a monopoly on the market and its the only part available, it was not to get bashed and be called an idiot. Plan ahead and order something else IMO.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Part of your statement is not true. Carquest carries victor-reinz (MAHLE) gaskets.

Also, there are metal rings at the corners of the OE oil pan gasket. What happens pretty often is that the old rings "stick" to the block when the old gasket is removed.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

What i think is happening is this. New gaskets normally have small holes that are designed to hold the bolt in the gasket so you can tighten without holding it the first time installing. My guess is you are tightening one too much without snugging all bolts before torquing. When you tighten the bolt in question before snugging all first its pulling/twisting the gasket at that spot which is tearing the gasket. Thats my guess. If you snug all first it will squish the gasket in between enough to hold it and prevent it from moving/tearing when you final torque.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I followed the manual and torqued them from the inside out in three steps. Believe what you want but I know what the hell I'm doing. Its a defective part. I'm done defending myself.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmitey
I followed the manual and torqued them from the inside out in three steps. Believe what you want but I know what the hell I'm doing. Its a defective part. I'm done defending myself.
I agree lol.

I've gone through two of them in this same sort of fashion. Torquing them with an inch-pound torque wrench (in what you would call a "star" pattern for a wheel). They are very brittle and don't last long, definitely will be buying an OEM one with my upcoming rebuild.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Fel-Pro OS30632R Oil Pan Gasket Set : Amazon.com : Automotive Fel-Pro OS30632R Oil Pan Gasket Set : Amazon.com : Automotive

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...ord&vi=1167410

This is a list of three major suppliers for the Fel Pro gasket for your car. It would appear this gasket is black. I believe the one I'm using is blue and made by Beck Arnley simply because my local autozone was out of Fel Pro when I last replaced mines though I'm not really sure at the moment and can't remember for sure. However I have used atleast 10 Fel Pro oil pan gaskets over the years without any issues.

Just want to be sure you're getting the correct one for your car.