Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Adding skunk2 exhaust tip

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding skunk2 exhaust tip

Would adding a skunk2 muffler onto my civic si make the car sound deeper? Or do i need to get the full exhaust system to get a deep sound. Im on a really tight budget as i am a college student
Old 09-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adding skunk2 exhaust tip

leave it alone because you are not gonna go any faster or produce power.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:39 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tight budget?

leave the car alone then.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:48 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by doood
tight budget?

leave the car alone then.
Can you just answer the question?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He did.

Unless you get it for dirt cheap, don't bother with it. There are plenty of better sounding exhausts you can save up for.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:08 AM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by civicsi2006
Can you just answer the question?
ok

the skunk2 is one of the loudest crappiest exhausts on the market. it wont sound deep, just annoying. but go ahead and do it anyway because your mind was already made up before making this thread.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by doood
ok

the skunk2 is one of the loudest crappiest exhausts on the market. it wont sound deep, just annoying. but go ahead and do it anyway because your mind was already made up before making this thread.
No, if i cant spend $200 or less to make my car sound deeper or louder but a deep loud sound il probably use the money for skunk2 lowering springs
Old 09-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly,

From some one with a lot more experience you are doing it all wrong!

Save your money and get a proper coilover suspension like the Skunk2 Pro-S II... Any mods you will do on the Si will need Flashpro.

If you want to get a little more sounds and power your best bet is to get a CAI... the Skunk2 one is probably the best one on the market right now. The Hybrid Racing is good too but they have an issue with the cuppler... Any of the CAI will need Flashpro as you will be running too lean and will cause a check engine light to come on.

If you want to an exhaust your best bet is to wait and save your money and look for either a the Full Race Exhaust which is really deep and loud enough... the NVidia Q300 is nice also its deep but not like the Full Race one.

All the guys that posted in here are right about one thing doing it right the first time will cost a little more but doing it wrong and having to redo it will cost you double of what you paid the first time! They all have been doing it for a long time and have made those mistakes and they are trying to guide you to not make them either...
Old 09-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought my Si with a 2007...Sometimes I love the Skunk2 2.5<--Assuming is 2.5mm Looks smaller then the wider one. Anyways, Sometimes I love it specially when the vtec is loud...but a lot of times it drives me insane plus I am always wondering if a copper is gonna fall in love and pull me over for noise pollution...
Old 09-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone selling a coilover kit? or a coilover with struts? Trying to drop my 97 civic ex currently on enkei rims
Old 09-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaveSi677
Honestly,

Save your money and get a proper coilover suspension like the Skunk2 Pro-S II... Any mods you will do on the Si will need Flashpro.

If you want to get a little more sounds and power your best bet is to get a CAI... the Skunk2 one is probably the best one on the market right now. The Hybrid Racing is good too but they have an issue with the cuppler... Any of the CAI will need Flashpro as you will be running too lean and will cause a check engine light to come on.

If you want to an exhaust your best bet is to wait and save your money and look for either a the Full Race Exhaust which is really deep and loud enough... the NVidia Q300 is nice also its deep but not like the Full Race one.

All the guys that posted in here are right about one thing doing it right the first time will cost a little more but doing it wrong and having to redo it will cost you double of what you paid the first time! They all have been doing it for a long time and have made those mistakes and they are trying to guide you to not make them either...
Out of curiosity, would adding just the muffler and not the full system give you the same sound that the full system gives you?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly,

You say a proper coilover suspension, but then recommend Skunk2 Pro-S (II or not). That's an oxymoron.

Bolt-ons don't NEED Flashpro, although it does help gain even more power. Installing an intake, header, and exhaust would be perfectly OK without Flashpro.

OP: If you can't afford proper mods, don't waste your money. I've never understood people who spend money to make their car worse than it was originally. The Si is a pretty decent car bone stock.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vladd
You say a proper coilover suspension, but then recommend Skunk2 Pro-S (II or not). That's an oxymoron.

Bolt-ons don't NEED Flashpro, although it does help gain even more power. Installing an intake, header, and exhaust would be perfectly OK without Flashpro.

OP: If you can't afford proper mods, don't waste your money. I've never understood people who spend money to make their car worse than it was originally. The Si is a pretty decent car bone stock.
Do some Aesthetic mods first. Tints, LEDS interior. Outside LEDS. some HIDs, maybe plasti-dip your wheels. Clean headlights. Either plasti-dip or vinyl wrap your taillights, upgrade radio system, get a shift boot, plus a skunk2 shift ****. Get some JDM emblems. a walmart aluminum Exhaust tip. save $ for paint if needed. Remove the Intake RESONATOR. Its the one by the Drivers bumper. There are do it yourselfs, This should help your engine sound more throatier.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vladd

The Skunk2 Pro-S is highly regarded over on 8th... but to each there own. I will agree with you it's not the best suspension as better is out there guaranteed!

Also you can do all the bolt-ons without Flashpro but then you will have to deal with all the check engine lights that will come on with it. One thing is for sure is as soon as you change your header you will have the secondary o2 sensor coming on as it won't be present and the defouler trick doesn't work.

Also if you get a CAI that is 3" or bigger you will get another check engine light that will be your car running too lean.

I know as I had these problems and the only way around it was getting Flashpro... as well as all the other members of 8th that ran into the same issues.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KenanJDM
Out of curiosity, would adding just the muffler and not the full system give you the same sound that the full system gives you?
Yes and no... it would change the sound for sure but with the header it will sound a lot more deeper and louder.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Skunk2 Pro-S is highly regarded over on 8th... but to each there own. I will agree with you it's not the best suspension as better is out there guaranteed!

Also you can do all the bolt-ons without Flashpro but then you will have to deal with all the check engine lights that will come on with it. One thing is for sure is as soon as you change your header you will have the secondary o2 sensor coming on as it won't be present and the defouler trick doesn't work.

Also if you get a CAI that is 3" or bigger you will get another check engine light that will be your car running too lean.

I know as I had these problems and the only way around it was getting Flashpro... as well as all the other members of 8th that ran into the same issues.
Skunk2 Pro-S is highly regarded? Maybe among broke high school kids.

Not sure why the defouler in the header didn't work for you, it works for other people. Maybe yours was too short? As for the CEL coming on, did you reset the ECU after installing the bolt-ons? If not, that could be the reason for the CEL.

Originally Posted by JC8643
Do some Aesthetic mods first. Tints, LEDS interior. Outside LEDS. some HIDs, maybe plasti-dip your wheels. Clean headlights. Either plasti-dip or vinyl wrap your taillights, upgrade radio system, get a shift boot, plus a skunk2 shift ****. Get some JDM emblems. a walmart aluminum Exhaust tip. save $ for paint if needed. Remove the Intake RESONATOR. Its the one by the Drivers bumper. There are do it yourselfs, This should help your engine sound more throatier.
A proper HID setup, which would be a retrofit, isn't cheap. It's $500+. Why would you want to remove the intake resonator? Its part of the setup for getting air from the wheel well instead of from the engine bay.