Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Start up issues/stalling while driving or idle....Please, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Start up issues/stalling while driving or idle....Please, HELP!

I have an 01 gsr and lately I've been having some start up/stalling problems.

It first started with the engine seems to lose power when im accelerating or driving at a steady speed. The car would jerk as if i let off the gas very abruptly. It sounded like i was about to bog out due to no fuel, but i have a full tank.

Today on my way to work, I stopped at a gas station and left the car running when I went inside. When I came back out, the car was dead. I started it back up and pulled out. I made it no more than 100ft down the road and it stalled. Again, bogged out like i had no fuel. I pulled over and i tried starting the car....took 3 minutes of trying to turn the engine over to start it. Finally the car started back up. When I hit 2nd gear (accelerating at a slow pace) the car bogged again but didnt stall. It regained power and I made it to work 10 minutes away problem free.

After work the car started just fine. On my way home, I came to a stop sign and the car stalled out again. It took about 5 seconds of cranking the engine to get it to start. I made it down the road about a 1/2 mile when the engine began to lose power and my rpms slowly declined to nothing and the engine dying, i was going about 45-50 mph when it died. It started back up again after a couple cranks and I made it to a store i stopped at. Once i got there and park, the car immediately died. After that, I couldnt start the car at all after trying for 10 minutes. Ended up getting it towed.

When I got home, I ran a diagnostic and it said "4th cylinder misfire". I went to the store and bought new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, and fuel filter.

After I finished installing everything, the car started up first try and I took it around the block for a test drive....zero problems or issues.

Later I came out to start my car and the same problems arose. The car will sometimes start and sometimes wont. I tried starting the car about 30 mins later and after 10 seconds of turning it over it started, but stalled 20 seconds later. I repeated this again and with the same result.

I figured out that the distributor that is currently on there is not a gsr dizz, its the non vtec distributor(previous owers doing). But I had the car for over a month now and these problems didnt start up until about 3-4 days ago. I plan on replacing the distributor but I want to make sure its not something else.

I was thinking ICM or coil? Im absolutely stumped now.

Thanks for reading guys and I would greatly appreciate any advice.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Start up issues/stalling while driving or idle....Please, HELP!

A new gsr dizz would solve both possible problems? ICM and coil?

Thanks everyone
Old 09-15-2013, 06:32 PM
voz
Honda-Tech Member

When you removed plugs, did they have oil on them?
If so, valve cover gasket??
I had that same problem...
Old 09-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: Start up issues/stalling while driving or idle....Please, HELP!

Originally Posted by voz
When you removed plugs, did they have oil on them?
If so, valve cover gasket??
I had that same problem...
They did have some normal build up on them but there wasnt any oil. Just looked like the car was running a little lean.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:15 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It does sound like a fuel problem, so I would check PGM-FI Main Relay, a common problem on older Honda/Acura.

Do you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn on the ign. switch? 94
Old 09-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
It does sound like a fuel problem, so I would check PGM-FI Main Relay, a common problem on older Honda/Acura.

Do you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn on the ign. switch? 94
Yes, pump primes every time i turn car on. I talked to another mechanic and he believes it an ICM...i dont know what to think tho, im pretty confused as to what i should do. Leaning towards a new or rebuilt dizz
Old 09-16-2013, 04:42 PM
fcm
Old Fart

I would start by checking the connections to the ICM and coil, I would also check the coil as it is more susceptible to intermittent heat failure.

A new or rebuilt distributor assembly would take care of both the ICM and the coil. 94
Old 09-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
I would start by checking the connections to the ICM and coil, I would also check the coil as it is more susceptible to intermittent heat failure.

A new or rebuilt distributor assembly would take care of both the ICM and the coil. 94
I ran into some Rich Porter dizzys and one is a TD84 replacement and the other is a TD84 high performance dizz. One is 300 the other is 600. What is so special about this high performance dizz? Sounds like bullshit to me but then again i could be wrong. Ive never messed around with high performance dizzys
Old 09-17-2013, 06:17 AM
fcm
Old Fart

RP shows two TD84 distributors, one for the GS-R and the other for the Type R, but it looks to me like the same distributor.

Searching for "performance distributor" at RP got me nothing...
http://www.partcat.com/richporter/index.php 94