Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Future NASA Member

Old 09-15-2013, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future NASA Member

Hello fellow Honda-Tech enthusiasts!

My name is Trevor and I reside in North Idaho with my amazing fiancé and our weiner dog. I am new to this forum but far from new to motorsports. Along with my brother Josh (who participates on HT), we have been attending the local road race club events (ICSCC) since birth. Both our mom and dad raced multiple vehicles and so naturally, we followed in suit. It has taken a while for us both to finally get to the point of building road race vehicles but we have arrived none-the-less.

I myself have owned multiple Honda's in which I used mainly as a daily driver but also for auto crossing. I soon realized that auto crossing was not exciting enough for me I turned towards a Motorsport opened to me by my older brother, drifting.

In 2011, I hosted my first drift event (Stateline Drift) and have been hosting events monthly ever since. Along with hosting the events, I also built and run my own car. In 2012, I travelled to all 4 stops of the Evergreen Drift Grassroots series and placed 5th overall at the end. This was a huge accomplishment for me and I knew it was only the beginning. I've taken all of 2013 to build a new car from the ground up, and with the help of my fiancé, family, friends and sponsors, we have produced a car that should do fairly well in competition but even more so for fun.

It's a 1992 Nissan 240sx with a stock SR20det, full Formula D legal cage, tube front end, spherical arms through-out etc. A little something different for Honda-Tech.

With this car near completion and the end of the 2013 season for the INW fast approaching, I wanted to look towards something else as well.

My brother and I have always talked about building identical cars of some caliber. Whether drift cars, karts, street cars or anything with wheels, we knew it would be fun. Like all siblings, we've had our share of ups and downs but motorsports and family always remained a passion. I saw him finally taking a step towards building a race car and I knew it was my turn.

With Josh always having a love for the high revving and easily tune able platform of Honda's, he naturally went that direction and the local NASA Honda Challenge series. Picking up a 1992 Honda Civic DX sedan. Now, at first, I was a little apprehensive and more so being that Honda's and drifting were a million miles apart for me. But as the build progressed, my Motorsport passion took over and I saw the excitement and potential of such a well balanced chassis in a series that offers very competitive racing.

Having an old beat up and caged spare 240sx laying around, I jumped at the opportunity of trading it off for another vehicle. Low and behold, a 1992 Honda Civic LX sedan! I couldn't have asked for more. The dreams were coming true. Along with a running and driving chassis, it came with a full manual 5 speed swap, brand new 6 puck sprung clutch / pressure plate and a clean title.

This is just the beginning for me and this build. I am setting a goal of April to have the cage ready along with all other essential safety provisions and basic suspension/brake setup and off to my first HPDE. A few parts I will use to swap between both of my race cars like my RaceTech RT1000 seat and Momo steering wheel but this will be another long road to spring. I'll update this build as often as possible along with pictures and video when I have the chance. And if people are interested, I'll do small updates of the drift car as well.

Thank you Honda-Tech in advance for all help and support!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Future NASA Member

And a little more about me and some of the other cars we have in our stable.

I just picked up a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax to tow the race cars around as well as anything else needed. Should come in handy for long hauls as well as potential two car trailers.

I had a 1jzgte non-vvti laying around from a trade and decided a 1993 Lexus SC300 had more potential for making money, so in came the Lexus. Also pictured are my fiancés 2011 Subaru WRX lowered on Fortune Auto 500 coilovers and her 1995 Subaru Legacy L. If you can't tell, she loves Subaru's.

On top of racing I am also very passionate about craft beers and my beard I have been growing avidly for 10 months now! So cheers to all things good! (Beard photo was a few months ago)

Old 09-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome. What you're doing with cars and the fact that you and your brother get to go race each other is very cool. I hope you can make the Spokane Triple with ICSCC and maybe some NASA events at Spokane/Utah/Oregon.

Cheers.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Spokane Triple would be a fun event for sure, my main goal is to drive competently in a few HPDE's and maybe a single race.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet beard, sir!
Old 05-18-2014, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, it's been a while since I've posted and a lot has changed.

The 1992 Civic LX has been sold and for quite a bit more then what I paid for it. I've been more so focusing on running my local drift events along with continuing building/driving the car. I was given a chance to go racing one week ago, and so far, it has been an amazing ride this first week.

Thanks to my parents, brother and fiancé, I was given the chance to run the upcoming Triple Race weekend at Spokane County Raceway May 29th - June 1st. I immediately started looking for a car to rent and out of no-where, my brother offered up his H4 intended 1992 Honda Civic DX (body swap to LX) to run the race weekend. The car has needed so much work just to get close to the point of being ready.

Tomorrow, I will be taking the car to Advanced Auto Fabrication in Spokane, WA to get an alignment, install the master kill and go over a few other small issues. After that, the car will head back to my brothers and a full tune up will ensue (Hawk DTC60 front pads, Brembo blanks all around, Rotella T60 5w-40 oil with NGK plugs and everything rebled). I also decided to order a Momo hub so I can run my Momo 330mm suede wheel along with the much needed Hans Device anchors.

We were able to get the Buddy Club exhaust mounted up this past week and I'm amazed with sound. It seems like we might be close to the 103db level but only time will tell. Thursday will be my driving school and fingers crossed my step dad (who races a Formula Continental) can be my instructor so I can learn a little quicker.

I'll update with some photos and video of the next week and a half of preparations. So far, so good.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure how I missed this thread. I am from SE Idaho nice to have another Idahoan on here lol. The 240 is sick for sure!
Old 05-19-2014, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks powerneedy! My brother (Fast510) and I are both up here in Northern Idaho. Not too many track drivers around here, more so in Spokane.

Woke up early to get the car over to Advanced Auto Fabrication for a much needed alignment, kill switch and go over the car in general. The more I stare at this car and after every time I crank it over, I fall in love more and more. Sucks it's not actually my car, but in the family none-the-less.

Unfortunately, when pulling the car on the trailer, we realized the stock clutch is toast. Good thing my brother had already purchased an Exedy Sprung full face clutch/pressure plate and lightweight flywheel (not sure of the brand). So Saturday will be spent doing that.

QUESTION: Does anyone have experience with ARP flywheel bolts on the stock D15b7? Or is there a higher quality bolt that someone recommends?

^That's the best photo of the Buddy Club exhaust I could snag.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've always used the OEM flywheel bolts because ITA power and all.

Damn, I wish I could make it out there but having the triple show up so early on the schedule has caught me off guard. I'm barely making the local race in the middle June.

You're going to want to talk with the race steward about classification though. NASA is no longer allowing ICSCC to use the Honda Challenge (H4) name but I don't know yet if that takes effect immediately or next year. You might have to run in FIP in Group 5 or maybe ITX in group 2. We will most likely keep the class in ICSCC but rename it and "make it our own".

A bit of a digression but..
What's ironic is that H4 has had kind of a renaissance in the PacNW in the last couple years and did it despite NASA. Currently there's several guys up here (6-9) who are currently working to unify the ITA and H4 [Honda] crowd to grow it in ICSCC so hopefully when your Civic shows up at the Spokane Triple in future years it will have some good competition!

p.s. 2 things

1: Nice drift car
2: Kick *** for you being able to (and have the desire to) pilot two very different types of cars in different types of motorsports. :thumbsup:
Old 05-19-2014, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the insight and kind words rice_classic!

From what the Race Director has told me, is that as of June 5th, H4 will no longer be an ICSCC class but they are in talks of making a group similar and with the same standards but obviously a new name. I would really like to see the H4 crowd grow locally and see more people campaigning that class like the Pro3 and FC classes are doing.

Will you be driving The Ridge at the end of the year? I am already looking for my next race (even though I haven't started) so I can get through Novice and jump into Area.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SLDTrevor
Thanks for all the insight and kind words rice_classic!

From what the Race Director has told me, is that as of June 5th, H4 will no longer be an ICSCC class but they are in talks of making a group similar and with the same standards but obviously a new name. I would really like to see the H4 crowd grow locally and see more people campaigning that class like the Pro3 and FC classes are doing.

Will you be driving The Ridge at the end of the year? I am already looking for my next race (even though I haven't started) so I can get through Novice and jump into Area.
I will be at the Ridge, even if I'm not with my car.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Small update, picked the car up from Advanced Auto Fabrication in Spokane, WA Tuesday night. Had a master kill switch installed on the driver A pillar bar (I forgot to take some photos) and had an alignment done. I'll post the alignment settings this weekend. I wish we would have spent some money earlier and bought adjustable from camber arms.

Tonight, we started priming the cage and that's probably all we'll do before the next weekends race but it'll look decent for now. I'm also starting to receive some much needed parts in the mail. Here's a small list of parts.

Hans Device (sport model)
Hans hardware for helmet (Summit Racing)
Hawk DTC60 front brake pads (TireRack)
NGK V Power spark plugs (Model Number - 2262)
Rotella T6 5w-40
1" SFI rated roll bar padding (Summit Racing)

Still waiting on my Momo steering wheel hub from PasswordJDM and my Toyo R888 rain tires from John Burgett racing in Wisconsin, hoping it all shows up tomorrow.

The cage is being done in a white primer as to try and make it look classy and clean.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Didn't do much work on the car last night after work, which I felt kind of bad about knowing how much time we don't have left. But I think we made up for it today. Started earlier on the clutch job. Started around noon and most mostly finished by about 6pm. We've never done a front wheel drive clutch swap (grew up with rear wheel drive) so I thought we did alright.

We ran into some snags through out the way and the last one had us stop for the night. It seems as though the driver side axle doesn't slip into the differential as far as the passenger side and it had us scratching our heads and wondering if it's seated all the way or if we're just not seeing something. Regardless, we'll have it finished up tomorrow along with spraying the rest of the cage, front pads and rotors, double-checking all the nuts/bolts.

Everything seemed pretty good with the transmission itself, I really can't wait to break the new clutch in and run it at the track.

Old Clutch

New Clutch

I'm definitely getting anxious for Wednesday to get here. Hoping to have everything loaded and ready to go Tuesday night.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wednesday is just a few hours away and the car is done! Stickers are being applied right now and everything else has been buttoned up. I'm anxiously waiting for tomorrow to come and go so I can be out at the track with my family and go through the drivers training Thursday morning.

We were able to get everything sorted out after the clutch job and went through and torque'd everything to spec for good measure. Made a few laps around the neighborhood to bed the clutch/flywheel as well as the new brake pads. Tonight we finished up some last minute items like the new Momo hub so I could run my Momo suede wheel and finally our Toyo R888 rain tires came in thanks to John Burget Racing!

A lot has happened in the past 2 weeks to get this car prepared for this coming weekend and it's all been worth it. I will be doing a lot of updating through out the week and weekend along with some GoPro footage to look back on. Here's some photos of the completed interior!

Also, if you see my camp or myself (I'll probably have the biggest beard in attendance), come say "Hi" and check out the car.

Thanks to FortuneAuto USA, Ferguson Iron Worx, Racetech, Summit Racing, Hayes Cages, my brother Josh, my Fiance Kara and my Mom Cindy and step-dad Lawrence for getting me to this point!

Old 05-27-2014, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck out there! Nice build, too!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck and have fun!!
Old 05-28-2014, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you! It wouldn't be possible without my brother letting me use his car for my Novice driving experience so I hope I do the car justice.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:26 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Love the Duck Dynasty beard man!
You remind me of our former Nor Cal HC director Brian Zoraster.
Drift car is pretty sick!
The Ferio is looking good.
One question... please tell me you arent hauling that car with one strap per axel like in the pic?
Very dangerous, ya should be using 4 instead of two straps IMO.
Awesome brother for hooking you up like that.
Keep us posted on your event have fun!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for good words!

I use one strap, looped through both rear wheels and one strap looped through the two front wheels. Given the car weight and placement of straps on the trailer, the car doesn't move even going over big bumps/railroad tracks etc. I've been using the same method on my drift car for 3 years now, towing from Spokane to Seattle (300+ miles) and not a single hiccup. And I believe my drift car weighs a tad more.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SLDTrevor
Thank you for good words!

I use one strap, looped through both rear wheels and one strap looped through the two front wheels. Given the car weight and placement of straps on the trailer, the car doesn't move even going over big bumps/railroad tracks etc. I've been using the same method on my drift car for 3 years now, towing from Spokane to Seattle (300+ miles) and not a single hiccup. And I believe my drift car weighs a tad more.
he might be referring to layers of redundancy with regards to "IF" one strap were to break/fray....
just in case
Old 06-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My first day back at home and it felt great to sleep in. Got to the track Wednesday night to a somewhat cold and cloudy evening. Thursday was my driving school in which my step-father (who drives a Formula Continental) was able to be my driving instructor and made for a great driving school. There was so much that I learned from the 3 days of driving, I'll post pictures and video a little bit later when I have more time.

What have other H4 prepped cars run at SCR in the past?
Old 06-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It must have been nice to do that weekend in May. Usually the Spokane Triple is at the end of July and in 95+F temps.

Go here for past results:
http://icscc.com/season.php

You can do the drop down on the right to change the year and then look at the results per group (H4 is/was group2) or look at the MSR.com entry under the registration link to see who registered.
BTW: don't just look @ H4, look at ITA as well because many Hondas primarily run ITA. Once ITX was adopted in Group 2 in 2010, some of the H4 entries fell because folks like me were entering ITX instead of H4. .

2010: 2 H4 and 14 ITA and 4 ITX
2011: 1 H4 and 11 ITA and 4 ITX
2012: 0 H4 and 7 ITA and 4 ITX
2013: 1 H4 and 5 ITA and 3 ITX
2014: 1 H4 (you?) and 3 ITA and 0 ITX.

I know there's 3-4 of us that are having a "light" racing season in 2014 but plan on putting together fuller seasons in 2015. Also, you've been part of the email chain. Don't let those numbers there scare you, as you can know the numbers are still strong and interest in growing we just have to foster it and get the folks to show up to the same events.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, looking back at some of the times from last years Triple Race, I'm feeling pretty good. James Hudson in his H4 prepped DA integra ran a 1.48.3 Friday during qualifying. And that B18a1 makes 140/123 hp/tq.

My best run was a 1.49.2 with our d15b7 having 102/90 hp/tq I believe and also having 280,000 miles on it. This isn't to say that James may have had issues or some other error but I feel pretty good about that.

I know that with the z6, header, higher spring rates and an LSD, I could drop a few more seconds off my time. As of right now, I'm planning on driving The Ridge in September to finish out my Novice licensing and hopefully in this car. It feels so well balanced and capable which makes it easy for a newcomer like myself to learn a faster line.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I look forward to meeting you at the Ridge.