Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Pedal position and blipping the throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pedal position and blipping the throttle

In every other car I've owned, the brake and gas pedals are basically even with the brake is compressed. This makes it easy to blip the throttle with the right side of your right foot while braking.

In my eg civic the gas pedal is a lot higher than the brake pedal when the brakes are compressed. This makes it impossible to brake and blip the throttle at the same time. I've tried to heel-toe but that isn't happening with my long legs (I'm 6'5") and size 13 shoes.

Is this common for eg civics? If so, what do the rest of you do to rev match? I've thought about trying to raise the brakes pedal by adding material and/or making a little plate on the side of the gas pedal that sits in line with the brake pedal when it's compressed. Not sure the latter option would work, however, because the pedal couldn't travel as far to the floor (maybe this isn't an issue if the gas pedal doesn't have to reach the floor to be at WOT).

Your comments are appreciated.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pedal position and blipping the throttle

You need shorter legs.

I find that not smacking your knees into a steering column is more likely to stop the heel-toe-ing than the pedal placement.

In to see what some ppl may have done on an EG to correct this if anything
Old 08-29-2013, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much spacer do you have on the steering wheel? I have found that most production cars but the driver too far away from the wheel. in order to get comfortable arm placement you end up crunched up to the dash with your knees. I built a thee inch spacer for the CRX and it really fixed the retarded driving position. This allowed me to move the seat much further back and straighten my legs out plus getting my arms in the proper position.

Not sure if this will help your heel toe issue, but it might.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Michael Waltrip syndrome
Its a hard one to solve.
914 might have the key... I have seen people put aftermarket pedal systems in an EG before.
Dont know where they got them but it was a total custom set up.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VTECIntegra9
I find that not smacking your knees into a steering column is more likely to stop the heel-toe-ing than the pedal placement.
Yep! I can heel-toe if I put my steering column way up but then it feels like I'm driving a bus or tractor lol.

Originally Posted by dirty19
Michael Waltrip syndrome
Hahaha that's great!

But the easiest solution is a steering hub spacer to put the wheel back. I've still yet to figure out why cars are designed like this? Maybe ease of getting in and out? The majority of production cars have the steering wheel too far away from you so you end up having the seat tilted forward and your legs in an uncomfortable position.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always figured the seating position in older (EF/EG/DA/DC) Honda's was due to their being designed primarily for the Japanese market. Stuff big/tall Americans into them and we "fit" but the pedal/wheel distance is all jacked up.

I'll +1 for the wheel extension. If that's not enough, you can look at adding a spacer underneath (or as part of) some pedal covers. There's also a brake adjustment clevis under the dash that you can try tweaking but be careful... to much adjustment will cause pad drag when you're not even touching the pedal.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 914Racer
How much spacer do you have on the steering wheel? I have found that most production cars but the driver too far away from the wheel. in order to get comfortable arm placement you end up crunched up to the dash with your knees. I built a thee inch spacer for the CRX and it really fixed the retarded driving position. This allowed me to move the seat much further back and straighten my legs out plus getting my arms in the proper position.

Not sure if this will help your heel toe issue, but it might.
I have the nrg quick release system which acts as a 2-3" spacer. Prior to having the quick release I was stretching a bit to reach the wheel but now it's pretty comfortable. My arms are bent at a +/- 30 degree angle.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 08-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VTECIntegra9
You need shorter legs.
Haha probably true. I built the bracket for my ultra shield seat so that I can sit far enough back where it's comfortable, but I'm pretty uncomfortable with the stock seats in (I have del sol seats).

Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Xian
I'll +1 for the wheel extension. If that's not enough, you can look at adding a spacer underneath (or as part of) some pedal covers. There's also a brake adjustment clevis under the dash that you can try tweaking but be careful... to much adjustment will cause pad drag when you're not even touching the pedal.
I don't think the wheel position is the problem. My issue is with the position of the pedals and not being able to slide my right foot over. I think I'll try a spacer underneath a pedal cover to see if that works. I didn't know there was a brake adjustment so ill check that out. Is it connected to the pedal? Thanks for the tip!

Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Same issue here at 6'3'' ish. I've tried placing the wheel out as far as I like (also I have to lean back a little more then I'd like to keep my helmet from hitting the headliner /w stock seats), but there's still not enough space to inwardly rotate my right foot to really heel-toe.

So I can do it using the left/right side of my foot, but I have very little of my foot on the brake pedal (to the point where has slipped off inadvertently). For me I think just bring the two pedals closer together would be enough. There was a thread on here about a cheap DIY wider gas pedal, I haven't gotten around to trying it. Lemme find it.

Also remember that the gas pedal is below the brake, so when doing it on the street it may be difficult, but on track where you are braking much harder (thus depressing the pedal further and closer to the gas pedal), it's lower position might not be an issue.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowB16
I don't think the wheel position is the problem. My issue is with the position of the pedals and not being able to slide my right foot over. I think I'll try a spacer underneath a pedal cover to see if that works. I didn't know there was a brake adjustment so ill check that out. Is it connected to the pedal? Thanks for the tip!

Yep, there's an adjustment clevis where it goes to the MC.

Originally Posted by 10cjennings
Same issue here at 6'3'' ish. I've tried placing the wheel out as far as I like (also I have to lean back a little more then I'd like to keep my helmet from hitting the headliner /w stock seats), but there's still not enough space to inwardly rotate my right foot to really heel-toe.

So I can do it using the left/right side of my foot, but I have very little of my foot on the brake pedal (to the point where has slipped off inadvertently). For me I think just bring the two pedals closer together would be enough. There was a thread on here about a cheap DIY wider gas pedal, I haven't gotten around to trying it. Lemme find it.

Also remember that the gas pedal is below the brake, so when doing it on the street it may be difficult, but on track where you are braking much harder (thus depressing the pedal further and closer to the gas pedal), it's lower position might not be an issue.
IMO, "heel/toe" in a production based car doesn't necessarily mean using your heel and toes specifically as you'd be able to do in a "real" racecar where pedals can be adjusted easily and knee room is less of a concern. As long as I can have a portion of the ball of my foot on the brake and then blip the gas with the right side of my foot, I'm happy.

<--- ~6'2" driver of tiny import cars.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I've found most Hondas have a good bit more brake pedal travel than other cars for whatever reason as well which makes it worse.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am 6' 1" with 11 1/2 shoes. I bought cheap eBay pedal covers $10 and took a couple crescent wrenches and bent the pedal arms. Problem solved. I think the EG geometry is WAY better than the BMW E36. That set up between steering column / dash / seat position is a cruel joke.

1 word of caution on metal pedal covers... The slightest bit of fluids on your shoes and those pedals can be mighty slippery.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^are they the clip on ones? or did you drill into the pedal to mount them?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Clip ons, but they got drilled and riveted.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Might give that a shot, do you know which pedals you bought? Just worried about bending metal that cheap.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used OMP "Rally" pedals on my Fit to bring the pedals closer together (almost too close if you're clumsy), I just mounted the gas pedal left off-center. I could heel toe without the pedals but the little extension on the gas pedal makes it so much easier.

I'm 6', size 11 shoes. Brake with your toe and gas with heel, that way you can lift your heel higher than your toe to hit the gas. Are your ankles super stiff or something that you can't side step the gas pedal?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 10cjennings
Might give that a shot, do you know which pedals you bought? Just worried about bending metal that cheap.
They were the cheapest with holes. Even came in diff colors, Don't recall the vendor but you will see they are all the same with diff sellers. They come in an impressive velvet display and lots of Chinese writing.. I hear you on the bending, it was concerning how easy it was to bend. I am pretty sure I have even bent them a little more with my feet from doing long sessions and getting a deep, soft brake pedal.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I'm 6', size 11 shoes. Brake with your toe and gas with heel, that way you can lift your heel higher than your toe to hit the gas. Are your ankles super stiff or something that you can't side step the gas pedal?
No my ankles are pretty flexible. Keep in mind there's a big difference between 6'5" w/ a 37" inseam and 6' in terms of leg room.

Maybe if get some new pedals and add a spacer to the brake pedal (to bring it closer to being even with the gas pedal when the brake is fully compressed) ill have more luck.

Thanks for the comments. Glad to see I'm not the only person with this issue.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If legroom is the problem I also suggest getting a steering wheel spacer like others on here have said. I had the problem you're having in a previous car I owned and I ended up using:

Momo hub + NRG quick release (the regular one, not slim) + Deep dish wheel. It brought the wheel out like a foot it fixed my problem though...

I was able to put the seat way back so my knees stopped hitting the steering column and I could extend my legs so that the heel roll to throttle felt more natural. I also had pedals to help a bit.

A spacer on the brake pedal might be a good idea too like you said if the pedal really is that low, but that doesn't seem normal?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did this. Not sure why your gas pedal is high up there. It should have some adjustment.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm 6'3" 200lbs size 12.5-13 shoe. personally i don't have any problem heal toe on a stock honda petals & steering wheels. I generally don't think of it as "heal" & toe" though for me it's one side of my foot compared to another, but it's still rev matching the downshift all the same.

I daily drive a GSR with del sol seats (lowers driving position 2-3") without any issue every day & it's the same on my track honda's with race seats & wheels.

My ankles don't twist like crazy 5' nothing Japanese professional race car drivers to allow that motion, but I still get the job done just fine.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:19 PM
The Credible Hulk

6'2" 230# size 12

I heel toe like a ******* boss. Although I think I do it backwards, not sure. I toe the brake and heel the throttle to blip.

EG hatch stock pedals, stock wheel, BUT my brake isn't that soft at all either. Check you MC and booster for leaks.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
I toe the brake and heel the throttle to blip.
I do the same and just keep my heel on the throttle and roll my toes over to the throttle when i'm done with the brake. Easy enough if you have biggish feet like us.

...whatever works best for you to get the job done is the right way I think. I know lots of people that just use the side of their foot like azVTEC said.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

9.9 time out of 10 this is a practice issue with many, many students i've had (even more experienced than me)

No offense but you height nor your foot size nor your car make for an impossible-to-heel-toe combination.

Just practice some more, you're making something wrong. You can add something to the gas pedal, but given you wear 13 size shoes, it won't matter much.

You should be able to hell-toe whatever the brake pedal height (pressure). Twist the leg, reach for it and keep practicing. I promise this is your solution.

Good luck !

Quick Reply: Pedal position and blipping the throttle