Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

weber swap ?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default weber swap ?s

I'm considering doing the 32/36 weber swap on my 82 accord 1.8 EK1, either that or rebuilding the stock carb, it just doesn't seem to run right. I have searched this and other sites, lots of info out there but I have some questions. It seems everyone just completely ditches all of the vacuum stuff but I feel a few of the system maybe should stay. I did buy a carb rebuild kit, and am capable of going through all this vacuum mess and sorting it all out(assuming I could get parts for whatevers not right), but I kind of just don't want to go through all that. To me the point of the weber swap would be to minimize the chance of vacuum leaks and failed 30 year old components. The whole purpose of this car is great mpg for a 90 mile commute to work, I don't really care about performance, but I want it to idle right at the lights and not chug going up hills when it's hot. Do you think the weber would drastically decrease gas mileage?

I definitely want to keep the evap setup, it was removed from my truck and I sourced some junkyard parts to hook it back up, just too much fuel smell for me. I believe I have it figured to hook it back up, except that the port labelled carb is just a vent from the carb bowls when not runnning, should I cap that or vent it somehow? Also should the purge be hooked to ported or manifold vaccum?

The EGR i'm not sure about, performance wise I know it goes, but what about for fuel economy?

What about the air suction assy? As I understand it's basically an air pump for the cat. Will the cat clog up if this isn't used? Should I ditch it and throw an electric air pump on the motor?

Also what about the cruise control? It seems to just have manifold vacuum to the controller on the firewall, is that correct or is it hooked into the black emissions box somehow?

I know the A/C idle bump won't be there, but will everything else work correctly?

How would you deal with PCV? the factory system seems rather overcomplicated. I'm used to v-8s where you have fresh air in on one valve cover and pcv valve hooked to manifold vacuum on the other. How do they acheive this on a 4 cyl? Is there anyway of getting fresh air into the crankcase? If not would a breather filter on the valve cover be just as effective as vacuum? Does the stock valve cover baffle do a good job of removing oil or would a catch can be needed?

What about the electrical connections around all this emissions crap? The choke wires will be hooked back up but thats it. Does anything need to be jumpered or can the old connectors just hang there?

Sorry for the long post thanks for any help.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: weber swap ?s

If you swap to a Weber, all the emissions "crap" goes away along with the associated vacuum hoses. But if you're subject to emissions testing, you're toast...