Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

2nd opinion 2007 CRV AC Issue....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd opinion 2007 CRV AC Issue....

Between various sources and another CRV forum, i've been trying to diagnos my AC problem, and think i've solved it. But it doesn't hurt to have a peer-review does it? I cam across this site today while Google-ing given to me last night so figured i'd post info here also in hope even more input will be useful. Can never have enough info.

Basically, AC quit, blows hot air all the time. Clutch doesn't engage. After wasting a few days, i finally getting complete story from wife. For about a week, blew hot / warm air while stopped, but cooled somewhat while driving. Its been taking longer and longer for air to start cooling as the car has aged. 2 days ago, air never got cold when started up in the afternoon.

Click look over that night revealed ac clutch wasn't engaging. Crude pressure check on the low side showed ~100psi. Since clutch not engaged, i assumed sides have equaled out, therefore, low pressure switch not the problem due to low failure rate (yes, possible, its on the low end, right?). Also, when A/C turned on in car, radiator fan(s) kick on like they should so this, combined with steps below makes me think relays ok.

Next step: today took apart splash guard and front bumper cover. Removed 3-wire connector to compressor. ran / jumped 12V DC directly from B+ to Red w/White stripe wire to clutch and.....nothing. Not even a click. 12VDC read from connector going back to underhood fuse box via the Red w/ White stripe wire there.

Bottom line, I think i have isolated the current visible problem to the Clutch and / or Field Coil assy (i plan to replace both). Am i right in guess this? Are there other electrical checks I should make to rule out other components; specifically what connector's and pin #'s?

Thanks

2007 CRV EX-L, Auto, 120k

Last edited by cyauch; 08-12-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2nd opinion 2007 CRV AC Issue....

Call your dealer. There was a TSB on it.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:14 AM
Trial User

Thanks. I'm aware of TSB 12-072, and talked to the Service Dept Saturday. However, while within the 7 year portion, we are over the mileage (sitting at 120K) on the clock. We went thru the troublshooting steps in the TSB and determined it doesn't apply to this compressor. With that said, however, the SM did say they would work with me by not charging me to replace the part(s), but would be responsible for a portion of the labor (which seems to be the general result based on other's experience on the web). That's still a chunk of coin to pay out when i can do the work for cost of parts only.

Regardless, i'm more than capable of turning a wrench and stepping thru a shop manual. My RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins has been my latest project

So, since i plan on doing the work myself ( i live in the country, nearest 'decent' shop is 40+ miles away, while nearest Honda dealer / shop is farther than that), does anyone else have a different conclusion about the clutch / field coil being shot? Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Trial User

My a/c compressor did the same thing on my 07 CRV EX-L. Now it's making a very loud squeeling noise and the compressor clutch locked up. Should I be nervous about the belt snapping? Do you know if there is a bypass belt for the 07 model? There seems to be a bypass pulley for 02-06 models but nothing beyond that?
Old 09-12-2013, 09:12 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by chaz36
My a/c compressor did the same thing on my 07 CRV EX-L. Now it's making a very loud squeeling noise and the compressor clutch locked up. Should I be nervous about the belt snapping? Do you know if there is a bypass belt for the 07 model? There seems to be a bypass pulley for 02-06 models but nothing beyond that?
Old 09-12-2013, 09:22 AM
Trial User

We own a 2007 CRV. Loud noise from compressor. There is an extended warranty for the AC clutch due to a known problem, but mine was just diagnosed with a bad compressor bearing, which isn't part of the warranty (seems a bit too coincidental to me). So much for Honda reliability. Dealer wants $900 to fix. Charged me $150 just to diagnose (Atamian in Tewksbury MA). I will fix it myself but bearings like this should not fail this soon. Honda has a problem. Anyone owning a 2007 is at risk and should complain to Honda.

For reference I own a 2008 Nissan Frontier with 195,000 miles. AC works great.

Message - buy Nissan.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the Service Bulletin 12-072 Warranty Extension?