Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Automatic Trans Question

Old 07-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Trans Question

I do not know a lot about this generation civic other than how common transmission problems are out of it. We bought a 2002 LX 4dr Automatic about 4 months ago. I knew just by driving it I would have to replace the struts, brakes, and lower ball joints...but she just had to have it. I checked the fluids one day and noticed the fluid was dark, and planned on getting it changed. So my short time as a lube tech at the local Honda dealership, I did a drain and fill on the Transmission before I left one night. That took care of the problem for about a month. So the wife calls yesterday and tells me that when she takes a corner the car jerks (gas,bake, gas). I checked the fluid and noticed that it is just as brown as it was the day I changed it. So my question is...should I just go ahead and get it flushed and see if that will remedy the problem? Is it possible that the ECU could be causing it? I know that it is not the original Transmission, VIN plate does not match the car or the block. Lastly, is it possible that this Transmission is failing too and I just need to look into another one...possibly reman? The car only has 178k on it and the engine is in great shape other than needing a valve cover gasket. Any info would be helpful.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic Trans Question

Hi EJ,

Not sure I can tell from your post exactly what the problem is - does this summarize it correctly:
1) Transmission fluid looks dark a short time after a fluid change
2) When turning a corner, the car "jerks"

It would be good to know exactly what the transmission is doing under normal driving conditions.

If I've captured the issues correctly in 1&2 above then for 1 it sounds like potentially a heat issue - maybe the cooler needs to be flushed or even replace the radiator. But it's important to remember that it holds 6 quarts in the transmission vs 3 during the change. If the original fluid was really bad then it may not look quite as good as one would think, even after a change. For 2 I'm not sure I hear a transmission issue...if it is jerking during a hard turn it may be driveshaft, steering.

No expert on any of this, just my thoughts. Just FYI, I replaced my 2001 tranny last year with a ~$1K Syncrotech unit and it's running like a champ (knock on wood). I can provide more information if it comes to that for you. The fact that it is not the original tranny is a bonus IMO because it means that at some point you got a new/reman one already.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for the reply JJ291. I know from driving it periodically that it drives fine under normal conditions. Periodically, it will jerk when turning a corner while it downshifts. When I changed the fluid it was hazy, and I only changed it once. I was told that I could change it like 3 or 4 times in a row to clean it up instead of flushing it, was told flushing it could cause more harm than good. Although, it does have problems with the struts and ball joints. The struts will pop when going over a bump, metal on metal type sound. I am getting all 4 struts because they are shot, front lower ball joints, and front brakes. I will just see if that cures the jerking. Do you know if they make a stronger transmission and torque converter for these cars just in case it goes bad? Is it true that the 03-05 transmissions are more reliable/stronger? I have heard this from a couple people at the local car meets. They told me that they were redesigned in 03, is this true? I just do not want to put money where it does not need to go. I still have to put a clutch, resonator pipe, and brakes on my 98 sedan. Fixing 2 cars at once is killing me, lol!
Old 07-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are many others who are much more knowledgeable on the internals of the transmission but I looked in my service manual and outside of the differential, I cannot see anything that would indicate transmission if it only happens during turning. Since you know there are suspension issues, it could be that it is downshifting normally but because of the turn/suspension issues, you are feeling it more. I agree with your strategy to first do all the suspension work and then see if it continues...at least you can rule out the suspension at that point.

As for the flush - I don't disagree that it may be bad to flush the transmission and certainly changing the fluid a few times will improve the quality with each change (although the fluid is $$). I was thinking more of just flushing the cooler which only involves flushing the transmission section of the radiator with a solvent, then water, then dry, then tranny fluid before a fill. I used one of the flush kits a ways back and did a pretty good job and got some debris out. However, when I replaced my tranny I decided it was so much $$ and time I might as well replace the radiator too. However, I didn't realize that the seller of my reman included an external filter or I may have reevaluated (radiator was only $60 bucks though). Back to the point, if the cooler is not cooling sufficiently, it could cause the oil to break down prematurely.

As for redesign, I could only find some claims in other forums that it was changed in 2003 although this article in wikipedia does seem to indicate it also. So, not sure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Honda_transmissions
I do not know if the 2003 would be more reliable but you're in the right place to find out because a lot of folks are into that level of detail. One recommendation is to post that as a specific thread on all the forums and see what you get although it may turn into "tastes great, less filling".

I feel your pain on the 2 cars - sometimes it feels like a full time job. Have you done a lot of suspension work before? I have a few tips if not.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did a lot of suspension work on my 98 Sedan. I replaced my Rack & Pinion, Inner & Outer Tie Rods, Upper Control Arms...basically the whole front end. I also did the whole front of my exhaust to include the Cat (DX model). Still need to do the resonator pipe and muffler. It is going to be a job, but the suspension is going to have to be done on her car. Thinking about just doing a cheap job to get it by until its handed down to me. I am going to sell mine eventually and buy her a new Civic or Sentra, and then take her 02 for myself. Anyways...yes...keeping 2 cars tip top is a full time job. Mine has gone beyond tip top, the paint and body is beyond repair. I am just keeping it running right now, I am focused on hers 85% right now.