Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Heavy smell inside of EG cabin

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Heavy smell inside of EG cabin

Hey all,

I'm very reluctant to start another thread like this since there are so many out there, but i've done my research and have been troubleshooting for weeks on end now. Most of the threads out there have resolved their problem but didn't post the fix. Hopefully this will help future members.

Lets get started:
b18b1 turbo ( obd1) no cats
WG is plumbed into the dp
EG hatch
~200k on the motor

The smell is BAD, especially after giving her a little bit of gas , theres a new clutch in there so i keep it under 3.5k and no heavy load on the setup. Cruising, the burnt oil / light gas smell will creep into the cabin even with the vents closed, i'll usually be able to walk into work smelling like i slept in an 18 wheeler's exhaust stacks.

Here's what i've done:
- cleaned out the PCV breather (bone dry now, soaking wet before)
- replaced PCV valve
- rerouted PCV breather into the turbo inlet
- checked all PCV vacuum and all are good / not cracked
- brand new exhaust from the head/turbo to the muffler ( no leaks)
- hatch and shifter rubber grommets are all in tact and sealed

For the life of me I can't find where the odor is coming from. Usually it doesnt bother me but man this is bad, i've had plenty of cars with test pipes and turbod and never was the smell this bad and its coming from the engine bay , I can tell its sneaking through the firewall/vents somewhere. Has anyone had any luck with any other remedies? The only thing I haven't done is replace the charcoal canister or the fuel filter, but the smell is less of a fuel smell (though it does still smell lightly of gas) and more of an exhaust / burnt oil fume. The car has a brand new turbo setup which was tuned, and with the new setup (same fuel system) it should be running the same out of boost but for some reason the car stinks. I'm starting to think its an internal block issue, i've gone over the car front to back and really can't find anything, no leaks, no drips, no cel's ... nothing.

If anyone can offer any help let me know, i'm hoping i've overlooked something simple, the car has plenty of problems already, hopefully I can check this big one off the list.

Last edited by xivsavagevix; 07-04-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Heavy smell inside of EG cabin

Are you confusing the smell with an exhaust leak perhaps?
Old 07-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've checked for leaks and haven't found anything so far, again the full exhaust from the turbo to the muffler are all new, new gaskets and bolts, checked the welds and theyre all good. I'm positive that the smell is coming from the engine bay, just can't see/smell where.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Doesn't it smell like rotten eggs? Do you have catalytic converter? Have you checked it isn't blocked?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no rotten eggs, not running a cat either so its straight all the way back.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just checked the gas tank seal under the rear seat, no leaks and everythings solid. Had my head under the hood for about 15 minutes sniffing around and couldnt smell anything. Its usually when im driving that the smell comes, something has to be venting/opening up. I may just change out the charcoal canister or fuel filter just to eliminate those, though all lines to both of those are seated properly, dry and dont seem to be cracked.

No smoke out of the tailpipe or anything....
Old 07-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

replace the canister...its worth a try..

but i will say this, i have no canister at all on mine it is just a open hose run down the firewall and it under the car but even before i ran that hose i never had that smell (with or without a canister)
Old 07-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ that doesnt sound promising at all, lol ! Kinda running low on options at this point so we'll see if anyone can give some input.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not the canister, well it might be you can unplug the hoses from it and tell but if your NOT running a CAT thats where the smell is coming from its something you have to live with or put a cat in somewhere but the cat get super hot and helps convert Carbon monoxide into a water vapor buy burning it off in the cat since you dont have one you smell all the gas from the combustion process not being fully burned off
Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by civicexkid1
its not the canister, well it might be you can unplug the hoses from it and tell but if your NOT running a CAT thats where the smell is coming from its something you have to live with or put a cat in somewhere but the cat get super hot and helps convert Carbon monoxide into a water vapor buy burning it off in the cat since you dont have one you smell all the gas from the combustion process not being fully burned off
Ut uh....

Have had alot of cars with no cat, current car even, and have never had a "smell".
Old 07-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

some people smell the gas and some dont, i dont have a cat and i dont smell it while moving but at a stop light ill get a smell for a little of gas or exhaust. some people are different with there smells.

if your turbo uses a v-band clamp make sure its tight or what ever is on your turbo is tight. with 200k on a boosted motor thats pretty high.

also when you replace a clutch it can give a burn smell during the break in period so in a few days see how it smells then.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can differentiate the clutch smell from the exhaust or burning oil smell. I've had lots of cars with no cats , one of them being a big v8/no cats/full exhaust and an xpipe and still no smell.

200k on a motor is definitely high, and to be honest thats a low average... I think if worse comes to worse i'll put in a cat , i actually want to ... having a test pipe at this power level really isn't worth it for me. Once the clutch breaks in i'll have to dyno and hopefully i'm running super rich, we'll see how the smell is then, i dont think that's it but its always an option.

All connections are on solid. Running a completely new turbo setup and the same smell exists so it's something to do with the motor/accessory setup

Last edited by xivsavagevix; 07-04-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

popped my trunk yesterday after driving a little ways and the trunk smells heavily of exhaust. Forgot to mention the previous owner had put red and clear tail lights on the car, plus the trunk seal is worn in a few places ( still looks like it'll maintain a seal though, no leaks). I may look for new oem tails and replace the seals on those, not sure if they're even on there, hopefully that'll cut down on the seepage.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just an update for future members who are having this issue. So I think i've figured out the problem and I have the parts en route. The car came with aftermarket tail lights and I overlooked that, I checked the tail lights and there are no gaskets on there. Did a quick search and it seems like a lot of people have the same issue on older cars ( in other makes and models on different forums). I'm almost 99% sure that this will lessen if not cure the problem, I should have the parts in and installed within the next days, hopefully someone will find this useful and won't have to go through the pain of ripping apart their interior ( and hair) trying to troubleshoot.

Thanks all!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a little smell in my cabin area after had pulls but only bc my t1 catch can set up is where the batt used to be and I did wire tuck fire wall has a couple holes inside and also under wiper cowl on pass side is where the air is pulled from for your climate control
Old 07-17-2013, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i get the same as well , i'll have to plug some of those as well.

The tail lights/gaskets remedied about 90% of the smell but i still get some wiffs of exhaust, still need a tune since its on a basemap from a bigger turbo setup so we'll see if that helps out anymore. Thanks for the input!
Old 08-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im having the same issue. I have for the last two gsr swapped hatchs ive had. Its even worse when the windows are down. With them rolled up you caint smell anything at all. My last exhaust was some cheap header back so i figured id go a different way with this one and have a header with a cat and my factory muffler off my 08 civic si. Caint drive to work with out a head ache when i get here. Ive checked all seals and i have factory tail lights. I hope somebody figures it out before it kills us lol.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

my guess, you're running richer then you need to be get the car tuned 2nd does the tip of you exhaust stick out from under the rear bumper ? I had mine tucked away but then I had to deal with a nasty exhaust smell. you could always have it exit out of the hood tho