Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Engine breaking vs in netrual. when going down hill or rolling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Engine breaking vs in netrual. when going down hill or rolling.

Was thinking today I tend to engine break a lot as imo it's better then putting the car in neutral every time I come to a down hill or a stretch where I can coast. the pro's of engine breaking is see as: less wear on the TOB, clutch disc and possibly tranny it's self(as we're not constantly in and out of gear). but the main con of engine breaking is would think is the engine is still spinning faster than it would be at "idle"(foot on clutch) so more wear on the engine you'd think. what do you guys think ? any gas saving benefits to be had also ?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine breaking vs in netrual. when going down hill or rolling.

When constantly engine breaking slightly more ring wear because the other side(decel as opposed to accel) of the piston/rings is being used more to slow the car down. Same with transmission meaning the back side of the gears is loaded on decel. This is a good way to save your brakes, though. There's always a catch-22.

Last edited by S2BumpsticksGSR; 06-25-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn well I'm going back to foot on clutch+ neutral when going down hills a tob+clutch is cheaper/easier then re-ringing/honing the block.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sometimes i engine brake sometimes i use actual brakes. depends how i feel. i dont engine brake as much though. only when i want to take a turn fast ill rev match
Old 06-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2BumpsticksGSR
Yes, more fuel consumption when constantly engine breaking
I have to say wrong on this one, the fuel injectors shut off completely during decelleration.

The pro's and cons are probably minimal, if even measurable. I guess it depends on how hard you are on the clutch/tranny when you shift back into gear.

I engine brake when I know I'm getting back on the gas or going down a long hill. This is also recommended to prevent your brakes from overheating and causing an accident.

I shift to idle when I'm coming to a stop and/or using brakes. To me, it doesn't make sense to have your brakes slow your car and slow the inertia of your engine at the same time.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why would anyone want to save the brakes? They are dirt cheap and take minutes to replace. I'd rather be swapping pads than re-ringing a motor, or doing a clutch...
Maybe I'm just crazy for this line of thinking though.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This makes sense that injectors would shut down using map and tps telling ecu no fuel needed. Thanks for tactfully correcting me instead of being a ***** about it. Still, the piston and transmission gears are loaded differently than on decelleration.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:33 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Coasting down a hill in neutral or with clutch depressed is not only unsafe it is also illegal in most/all, [never know about Quebec, they have that "not withstanding clause" in our bill of rights] of Canada and from what I understand most if not all states.

The same applies to putting an auto into neutral.

It gains you nothing and can easily result in loss of control. 94
Old 06-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Coasting down a hill in neutral or with clutch depressed is not only unsafe it is also illegal in most/all, [never know about Quebec, they have that "not withstanding clause" in our bill of rights] of Canada and from what I understand most if not all states.

The same applies to putting an auto into neutral.

It gains you nothing and can easily result in loss of control. 94
gains nothing? not looking at emissions and fuel efficiency, wouldn't an engine have less wear if idled down a hill rather than accelerating, decelerating or staying at a constant throttle?

I say so because i believe those laws are more so nuisance and safety laws put in place in result of accidents caused by people who don't understand how to properly use their transmission gearing and brakes. Ex: riding brakes down a steep grade instead of downshifting their transmission from it's final drive to a lower gear. a problem I've seen drivers struggle with many times.

if you aren't speeding, riding your brakes or not paying attention like you should be, coasting in neutral down a straight stretch of road shouldn't be a big deal, and I'd gladly pay any ticket I received for doing just so.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm for me I was just wondering if it put excessive wear on the engine to the point where shifting in and out of the gears was a better option. and wearing the clutch and tob was better. to be honest I've never heard of that law but mind you when I got my G2 license the in car part was done in an auto. I can 100% see why that's not a good idea in an auto lol but I was always taught clutch down to save gas/reduce engine wear or when not needing to accelerate for a while (I'm 18 so that's pretty recent). but thx for the replys everyone
Old 06-25-2013, 06:38 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are supposed to engine brake, if you had an auto, it would do it automatically as the torque converter is always coupled to the engine
Old 06-26-2013, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the amount of "wear" from engine braking is immeasurable. quit worrying about it.

your injectors will shut off above 1500 rpm when you are off the throttle.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idling has it's own small contribution to engine wear as well, as it's a little tough on the valvetrain. I'd just keep it in gear while you slow down, then engage the clutch and put it in neutral just before the engine starts to choke.

Pros: reduced clutch wear, lower fuel consumption.
Cons: negligible.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:20 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
hmmm for me I was just wondering if it put excessive wear on the engine to the point where shifting in and out of the gears was a better option. and wearing the clutch and tob was better. to be honest I've never heard of that law but mind you when I got my G2 license the in car part was done in an auto. I can 100% see why that's not a good idea in an auto lol but I was always taught clutch down to save gas/reduce engine wear or when not needing to accelerate for a while (I'm 18 so that's pretty recent). but thx for the replys everyone
Here in B.C. it is a $121 fine and 2 points on your licence, each province has their own penalties. 94