Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please!

Recently had my old engine hydro locked so I installed a newly used engine (j30a1)

My 1999 Honda accord ex v6 (j30a1) has been having a check engine light of p0505. Now, before you comment.. I have read and read and read, I've replaced the whole throttle body with a used one from the local junk yard that was in excellent condition. I've replaced the little fuse and checked for vacuum leaks, checked the wiring harness... nothing is damaged.

Does my car need to re-learn the idle ? it pulses up and down from 1000rpms to 1500rpms roughly while in park. While in drive or any other gear it acts normal however the car wants to pull without me pressing the gas pedal in.

recently: I have removed the intake to view the throttle body while the car was running to see if the TB was moving back an fourth to accommodate the rpms jumping up and done and the throttle has NO MOVEMENT...

thoughts of what the problem could be:

leaking gasket from intake manifold/tb? bad ground somewhere? maybe on the alternator? or the car just needs to relearn the idle? maybe air in the radiator fluid? I've bleed the system several times and im fairly sure theres no more air but? could there be... im at a complete loss right now, i have no clue. help?
Old 06-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Help Please!

I had a 94 civic hatchback and it had a idle surge it turned out to be a double gasket on the map sensor or something lol I think it was a tiny vaccum leak took the mechanic a week to figure out it was a gasket smashed on top of another. But once you fix t the check engine light should turn off after a week of driving since its obd2
Old 06-24-2013, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by halfkoreanboy
I had a 94 civic hatchback and it had a idle surge it turned out to be a double gasket on the map sensor or something lol I think it was a tiny vaccum leak took the mechanic a week to figure out it was a gasket smashed on top of another. But once you fix t the check engine light should turn off after a week of driving since its obd2
hey man, thanks for the reply.

I literally just got done swapping the TB gasket and the main intake manifold gasket...with no luck. quadruple checked all hoses...gaskets... ready to run this car off a bridge.

I noticed that the car does not act funny when the AC is now that I have changed all gaskets but now the power-steering pump is squeaking like a bird. Lovely.

- i even took off the IAC and cleaned it with cleaner and got some gunk out and turned the little *** in there as everyone says to do... maybe that thing needs to soak or something stupid
Old 06-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Kinda sounds a lot like a vacuum leak, or a vacuum hose not hooked up in the right spot or something...
Old 06-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stowne78
Kinda sounds a lot like a vacuum leak, or a vacuum hose not hooked up in the right spot or something...
that is what i was thinking as well... but have had no luck finding any leak or vacuum hoses missing our out of place. There is only like 4 hoses on this engine that are vacuum... maybe someone has a diagram ?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get some carb cleaner and spray it around the entire intake from the throttle body to the intake manifold...see if the rpms change..if not then perhaps your base idle is set to high

did you ever remove the idle adjustment screw or try to adjust it one way or the other when working on the intake and throtte body ?
Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by white guys wrx
hey man, thanks for the reply.

I literally just got done swapping the TB gasket and the main intake manifold gasket...with no luck. quadruple checked all hoses...gaskets... ready to run this car off a bridge.

I noticed that the car does not act funny when the AC is now that I have changed all gaskets but now the power-steering pump is squeaking like a bird. Lovely.

- i even took off the IAC and cleaned it with cleaner and got some gunk out and turned the little *** in there as everyone says to do... maybe that thing needs to soak or something stupid

Good luck man...just be patient and im sure you will figure it out then you will be happy you got a v6 j30a that is a fun motor i drove one for a day and it pulls strong i wish i had a v6 lol
Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
get some carb cleaner and spray it around the entire intake from the throttle body to the intake manifold...see if the rpms change..if not then perhaps your base idle is set to high

did you ever remove the idle adjustment screw or try to adjust it one way or the other when working on the intake and throtte body ?

yea thats my next step tomorrow, i ran out of carb cleaner on the TB cleaning it lol.

- as far as the screw, i messed with it on my last TB and saw little change in it... I was unaware you can fully remove that screw. I've read somewhere about an "Idle relearn" but that was on a 4 cylinder so I did not know if that worked with the v6's.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck man...just be patient and im sure you will figure it out then you will be happy you got a v6 j30a that is a fun motor i drove one for a day and it pulls strong i wish i had a v6 lol

lol yea they are fun. vtech is cool and all. its a daily driver, or it was ...

I have an Sti that I use for my fun. I try not to drive her tho <3 lol
Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by white guys wrx
lol yea they are fun. vtech is cool and all. its a daily driver, or it was ...

I have an Sti that I use for my fun. I try not to drive her tho <3 lol

Id get in a lot of trouble with an STI haha they are one of the coolest looking and sounding cars, i love that flat 4 exhaust note.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Id get in a lot of trouble with an STI haha they are one of the coolest looking and sounding cars, i love that flat 4 exhaust note.
lol yea its hard to stay out of trouble with it.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump ^ issue still present - -
Old 06-25-2013, 02:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'm not talking about talking about the screw that is located near the throttle cable. There is a flat head screwdriver screw recessed into the front of the throttle body. If that screw has been tampered with then you need to reset your base idle.

Do some searches on "how to set base idle" along with your car year make and model.

Keep in mind that the very first white line on the tachometer is 500 and not 200.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not talking about talking about the screw that is located near the throttle cable. There is a flat head screwdriver screw recessed into the front of the throttle body. If that screw has been tampered with then you need to reset your base idle.

Do some searches on "how to set base idle" along with your car year make and model.

Keep in mind that the very first white line on the tachometer is 500 and not 200.

Yes I know,

That screw covered in the rubber has not been tampered with in anyway however the engine was out of the car for 3 days so it could have forgotten the base idle...considering I removed the engine wireharness as well to replace the engine. Also it has a new throttle body on it.

Today I replaced all gaskets with OEM honda ones.. all intake gaskets, throttle body, upper manifold gasket.. etc
Old 06-26-2013, 01:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

if ur certain no vacuum leaks that leaves only iacv as being bad

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 06-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, I decided to take one last crack at it before tossing a match under the hood... to my amazement I figured it out.

- Bad o-ring on a fuel injector which caused air to enter through a fuel injector causing p0505

- idle is perfect now, does not jump up and down, runs like a dream.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Let this be a lesson to anyone else reading this thread. The intake leak could be anywhere from the throttle body to the intake manifold gasket. Anywhere.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Let this be a lesson to anyone else reading this thread. The intake leak could be anywhere from the throttle body to the intake manifold gasket. Anywhere.
lol all the way down to an injectors O ring.

the ironic thing out of the whole parts buying spree I went on... While visiting the local Honda dealership they did not have the gaskets I needed and mentioned "Oh yea we get our parts from Car Quest up the road there if you dont want to wait until tomorrow for us to order the gasket set" ... does that not kill the whole idea of visiting the dealer an getting oem parts?

also, if anyone needs a throttle body or sensors, I have two full throttle bodies left and a whole garage full of parts lol