Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Starter relay/ wiring doubts

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter relay/ wiring doubts

On my 1990 CRX Si a "friend" offered help to work on the car and what I found was a mess of wires.
Anyway, I removed the rest of the security system he started disconnecting (dunce)

Also found that he unplugged the ECU ???

Well
First question is ( and I have searched) The starter relay is disconnected, theres two wires one red, one white. Where do they go?? The orange one on the pic was from the security system and I would guess some kind of cut off

Theres a wire, black with yellow that seems (on the schematic) comes from the ignition towards the coil. Theres like 1 1/2" cut off. Anything goes there, or is it a continuous wire that someone messed with ( the red jumper was placed by my very "helpful" "friend")

He claimed he did all that since there was no spark at the plugs nor distributor ( could have been easily the cut off on the security system)

Theres a few more wires here and there..
By the way, my guess is the batt should be disconnected when replugging the ECU is there a procedure to re plug?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-23-2013, 10:56 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Starter relay/ wiring doubts

That is an aftermarket starter "cut" relay, that has been installed on the ign.1 output of the ign. switch, just reconnect the cut black/yellow leads you removed the alarm so no way to control the relay without installing a new alarm or switch.

Not effective where installed, [wired] anyway, way too easy to bypass.

an open on that leads means no power to the main relay, distributor assembly, and a number of other things needed fo engine to run. 94
Old 06-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks
So it is not the starter relay..?!
Ill just need to splice that black/yellow back, reconnect the ECU and it "should" be fine.

What threw me off is that on the security system box said that the orange wire went to the starter

Heres what the box had written just in case someone else needs this info
Its a MAT-8 security system
Yellow- acc 12v
Violet- door
Blue- Trig
Green- door
Gray- Pop Trunk
Black - ground
Brown- horn delay
Red- 12v +
Orange-starter
White-lights
Siren- red/red
Valet- grey blk brown
Old 06-23-2013, 01:31 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

They wired the starter cut relay to the ign. lead instead of the starter lead and used it as an ign. kill. 94
Old 07-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got to it today, charged the battery, jumped the wire and reconnected the ECU (while the batt was disconnected)
Turned the key and nothing, all dash lights came up but no cranking, checked the clutch switch and found the culprit.

I removed the plugs in order to get the oil circulation going, just turned the engine bit by bit since the car has not been started for some time.

Will take it item by item, like draining old fuel, throttle cleaninng etc.
Bit it seems I have no spark (which is what my overager "friend" thought in the beginning)
Was by myself so I could not check for spark (tried to from inside the car but saw nothing)
Anyway, I did a search here and started looking for tips to troubleshoot.

The coil has power on the Pos terminal, although theres a "stick" that goes into it from the cap that had some surface rust.

Read here that the "ignitor" was faulty on those cars (1990) and specific years.

What else can I look for, do or test in order to keep the troubleshooting going??
(I have been searching but theres quite a few, and happens in all forums, that people solve their problem but never go back to the thread to tell how they did it)

Thanks in advanced