Notices

Is there a "best" sounding & build quality muffler for 3" exhausts? If so, which?

Old 06-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Is there a "best" sounding & build quality muffler for 3" exhausts? If so, which?

Originally Posted by forryk
If you want a muffler that's not to loud i would say go Thermal R&D and it's perfect if you dont have any interior in the car. I used Vibrant muffler before the R&D that i use now and it's much better for your ears
Nah nah nah, if you want quiet with a nice deep tone, do what I did for my first setup before I ended up with the N1: get an Apex 3" World Sport with Kteller piping and resonator. This is cheaper than Thermal and Thermal is a bit loud and a bit raspy to me.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Is there a "best" sounding & build quality muffler for 3" exhausts? If so, which?

Originally Posted by Hyper16-Johnny
Nah nah nah, if you want quiet with a nice deep tone, do what I did for my first setup before I ended up with the N1: get an Apex 3" World Sport with Kteller piping and resonator. This is cheaper than Thermal and Thermal is a bit loud and a bit raspy to me.
Ok, haven't tried that but if you compare vibrant and thermal atleast i think thermal wins!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyper16-Johnny
You don't even NEED a resonator on a 3"World Sport 2. (If you have one great, but even that wasn't necessary).. But I do agree with you on using that could be a consideration over even the Thermal R&D, however, Fitment work including welding would be required.

So, say your average Thermal R&D is about $600 for the entire stainless system.

Apex'i World Sport II turbo =$299-$320 (depending upon source)
(http://www.velocityshop.com/product/...t-ii-universal
-muffler-80mm_598.html)

K-Teller Exhaust system piping = $200
(But this is just the piping, you still have to do welding for the 3". Its not the bolt up like the 2.5")
http://store.kteller.com/kteller/kte.../i-402955.aspx

If you add a quality resonator (which again, isn't necessary) = $52 or so if its Vibrant version or $72 or so for Flowmaster/SLP/Magnaflow

So you're at about $575 (without shipping or welding) for the Apexi-Kteller combination (which is about $80/hr in most places)

OR

$601 shipped for a full bolt on setup for a Thermal R&D with no need to worry about fitment , welding or additional resonators.

Now, if you have welding facilities available and don't mind the time and effort, you're good. If not.... the choice is clear.

Hell, I even did the math and links to purchase locations for you... How cool is that?!?!?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK thanks everyone. The case is closed. I believe I will go with the thermal r&d and a choice rez that I'm not sure of yet. These thermal r&d sound so good and get nothing but praise from what I've seen. Thanks a million for all the input on this subject! Glad im goin with the r&d!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by balbowskie
OK thanks everyone. The case is closed. I believe I will go with the thermal r&d and a choice rez that I'm not sure of yet. These thermal r&d sound so good and get nothing but praise from what I've seen. Thanks a million for all the input on this subject! Glad im goin with the r&d!
the thermal R&D already HAS a resonator on it.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting, I did not know that.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone know any shops with a good reputation that sells the thermal r&d universal mufflers. I am finding shops that sell whole kits but not just a universal muffler.......

Last edited by balbowskie; 06-25-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:35 PM

You dot get the universal thermal R&D muffler. You get the full system or you get NOTHING..

You want good, pay the money. That simple.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I they don't make a prelude "turbo" kit for my ride. I was a lil worried that the universal muffler was not a "turbo" muffler. I built my own exhaust with mandrel bent 3" and a electronic cut out on the end of the downpipe. I then wrapped the stainless pipe from the header to mid way back the car with thermo-tech gen 2 copper wrapped and sealed. So I really don't Wanta buy a whole kit anyhow since she is almost complete - the muffler or a rez.oh and believed it or not but Andy's auto sport has thermal r&d for sale good prices and wide variety.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:51 PM

Then the world sport turbo muffler and your own custom piping is the answer. Andy's auto sport is a thermal R&D dealer. Thermal r&D sells only the full kit. Not the thermal muffler only.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's mine. 2.5" piping/downpipe. No cat, no resonator.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:26 PM
Trial User

From my point of view, till far I have seen Magnaflow 1126 is the best performance muffler. The shell is made up o stainless steel which provides longevity.
Talking about its sound, it literally enhnace my car sound by eliminating turbulence.
If your looking for some turbo muffler for engines then go for it.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Anshul007
From my point of view, till far I have seen Magnaflow 1126 is the best performance muffler. The shell is made up o stainless steel which provides longevity.
Talking about its sound, it literally enhnace my car sound by eliminating turbulence.
If your looking for some turbo muffler for engines then go for it.
This is a pretty old thread. But this user speaks the truth.
Fit the biggest straight through magnaflow you can on your car and you wont be disappointed with the sound.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Full_Tilt
This is a pretty old thread. But this user speaks the truth.
Fit the biggest straight through magnaflow you can on your car and you wont be disappointed with the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5LQ-Dyh0RI
Definitely a clean sound. Always nice when you can hear the BoV actually doing it's job and not just hearing a ton of turbo flutter with all the comments saying "iT sOuNdS sIcK!"

3" stainless exhaust + bottle resonator with a good muffler is a simple and good combo IMO.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Is there a "best" sounding & build quality muffler for 3" exhausts? If so, which?

The thermal r&d does have a very good tone but is pretty quiet on a turbo set up. My down pipe is dumped now but when I finish up wiring my new shop I’m going to be using the thermal r&d piping back to the rear control arm and probably use a hks titanium muffler or possibly just run 3”:pipe out the back. Working for one of the larger stainless steel suppliers in the world has its perks