Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

New Problem!

Old 06-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking Noise and Knock Noise (w/video)

Edit: Ok so I now have video of these sounds, and I also took it to the shop, and they said the knock noise was broken motor mounts, and the squealing noise was a drive belt tensioner. I wanted to get some second opinions on this. So here is the video.

Knocking Sounds @ 0:36 0:48 1:14

Squealing Sounds @ 0:58 0:45 1:44

I have searched this topic and found many things but none really sounded like my problem.

This started mostly when turning. If I was going to turn on a street without stopping, just gradually turning into a street as soon as I would start turning I would hear this squealing noise and it would stop as soon as I was finished turning.

Now this sound is coming out more frequently. Just yesterday I was on the freeway at about 80 and as I was going down an exit ramp to get on another freeway and as I was taking the curve I was going about 60 and the squealing started up. There was some heavy traffic at the end of the ramp so I gradually started slowing down and the squealing was persistent until the moment I stopped the car completely at the bottom of the ramp where traffic was held up.

Soon after that when I get closer to home when I was now in city streets the squealing was now starting up when I was just simply braking and not even turning. When I came to my last turn it started squealing and after I finished the turn the sound again persisted until the car came to a complete stop.

I dont think its brakes because the sound is there when im not even braking sometimes.

Last edited by 06mmDc5; 06-10-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Problem!

Bump!

Anyone?

Im replacing drivers side knuckle and drivers side LCA bushing. Would like to know what this problem is so that I can kill 2 birds with one stone and get it all done tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be dust stuck in between the brake pads and the disc. I had this issue on my car about a month go and it went away after a while by driving.

What I would suggest is if you have access to a pressure washer, take your wheels off and pressure wash the brakes for a few minutes. Then if you have access to an air compressor blow air between the disc and the pad. That did it for my friend.

Keep us posted!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:40 AM
DC5/EP3 MOD :)

Go to a big empty parking lot. Have a friend with you. Turn the car and walk with it slowly.

Describe the "squeeling" noise better, more like a metal on metal squeel, or a power steering pump squeel, etc.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaveSi677
It could be dust stuck in between the brake pads and the disc. I had this issue on my car about a month go and it went away after a while by driving.

What I would suggest is if you have access to a pressure washer, take your wheels off and pressure wash the brakes for a few minutes. Then if you have access to an air compressor blow air between the disc and the pad. That did it for my friend.

Keep us posted!
If I ever get a chance to do that I will try it out.

Originally Posted by Type-Spaz
Go to a big empty parking lot. Have a friend with you. Turn the car and walk with it slowly.

Describe the "squeeling" noise better, more like a metal on metal squeel, or a power steering pump squeel, etc.
Ok I will try that.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for video!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anybody?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now this squeals all the time. Doesn't matter if I'm turning or not. Driving a straight line there was constant squealing. This sound is also VERY loud and can be heard over literally everything.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:30 AM
DC5/EP3 MOD :)

Did you take the wheel off and look at the brake pads and rotor yet?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Type-Spaz
Did you take the wheel off and look at the brake pads and rotor yet?

Yes I did, but im not exactly sure what to look for. The pads still had tons of life left on them, the rotors look... normal? Not really sure exactly what rotors are supposed to look like but they dont look any different than they have before. Car is already in the shop though, the noise got so bad I just took it in. The shop says its the drive belt tensioner. It will be done today and I will report back if the problem is gone.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok just got back from the shop. The tensioner and serpentine belt were replaced. Once I drove out of the shop the noise came back. They closed at 5:30 so I couldn't take it back today. When I got home I popped the hood and the new belt was slipping off. What gives man?? I'm taking it back tomorrow to see what the deal is and I hope that this is the noise because I'm tired of it and do t want to be spending money over and over again
Old 06-17-2013, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright fellas, here is the solution to this problem. Just in case anyone elses runs into this sound.

This was my rotors. They needed to be resurfaced. Got the fronts resurfaced and the sound was gone. Hopefully no one else has as much problems as I did with shitty mechanics.