Notices

D16z6 eagle/vitara 75.5 build break in w/out turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post D16z6 eagle/vitara 75.5 build break in w/out turbo???

My d16z6 eagle/vitara build is nearly finished, but just wanted to know if i am about to finish it can i break in the motor running n/A has anyone done it?
im sure i can use my stock P28 ECU w. stock injectors etc.

but im planning to get it running without the turbo also because of insufficient funds. i need a motor asap my other one is already slightly blown.
is running d16z6 eagle/vitara setup fine N/A ive heard alot of people running it stock for a while. also need info on some piston ring end gaps, i should run. ive heard the machine shop says i can run oe specs.
anyone run this setup d16z6 vitara eagle setup N/A stock until turbo??
i will drive it very carefully babying it.

thanks......
Old 05-24-2013, 04:21 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: D16z6 eagle/vitara 75.5 build break in w/out turbo???

What do you mean SHOULD run? You already have had the engine assembled. So the question is what ARE you running? Do you even know? According to your other threads you simply gave the machine shop the block and the parts and no real instructions whatsoever. Now you worrying about break-ins, ring gaps and P2W clearances?
Old 05-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: D16z6 eagle/vitara 75.5 build break in w/out turbo???

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
What do you mean SHOULD run? You already have had the engine assembled. So the question is what ARE you running? Do you even know? According to your other threads you simply gave the machine shop the block and the parts and no real instructions whatsoever. Now you worrying about break-ins, ring gaps and P2W clearances?
the motor i got back from the shop. i wanted to do it myself to install other things like pistons etc bc its more expensive for them to put it back. also im still learning to put it back. they told me the P2w clearance is okay, i asked them im going to turbo after couple of months or a year. i asked them about the motors specs they said i can run piston ring end gaps what the stock specs in the book. can i use the stock specs. even if im going to run turbo like in a year or 6 months or so. still gotta check main bearing clearances etc.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:39 AM
The Grumpiest

All your posts are so confusing. So you're building an engine, and have no clue about P2W, ring gaps or anything? What? You bring a block to them to be bored and when you ask the shop what the P2W (but in reality YOU should have told THEM) was and they couldn't tell you? All they said was that it was fine?

Ring gap. I will swear someone gave you this link and you ignored it.
http://www.laskeyracing.com/shop/ringgap.htm

I'm building my first engine too, and I made sure to find out about all of this before I did anything.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:23 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Stock ring gaps are perfectly fine for stock engines. When you go turbo, you will need to pull the engine back apart and widen the gaps for turbo use.

Are we on the same page now?
Old 05-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: D16z6 eagle/vitara 75.5 build break in w/out turbo???

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Stock ring gaps are perfectly fine for stock engines. When you go turbo, you will need to pull the engine back apart and widen the gaps for turbo use.

Are we on the same page now?
ok, what if i gap the piston rings more than stock gaps and run it N/A. can i do that will the larger gapps effect anything when running N/A??? i will run it w/out turbo at least for 6 months?? boost like 6-10psi..
Old 05-25-2013, 08:52 AM
The Grumpiest

Wondering what's the rush? No turbo kit in six months.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That was my whole point I was trying to get across, and it obviously worked. What exactly do you think an engine is when not in boost? It is essentially naturally aspirated since the power added is essentially not adding power anymore. You will be fine with turbo gaps and N/A - just don't go with the "race" specs.

Also, PSI doesn't mean much in this discussion. The reason for different ring gaps is due to thermal expansion from the increased cylinder pressures/power. Same reason piston to wall is so important. None of it makes a different out of boost, but under boost it could literally make or break your engine. Just make sure your 2nd ring gap is bigger than the top ring's or you could have issues with things like ring flutter or worse...
Old 05-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
That was my whole point I was trying to get across, and it obviously worked. What exactly do you think an engine is when not in boost? It is essentially naturally aspirated since the power added is essentially not adding power anymore. You will be fine with turbo gaps and N/A - just don't go with the "race" specs.

Also, PSI doesn't mean much in this discussion. The reason for different ring gaps is due to thermal expansion from the increased cylinder pressures/power. Same reason piston to wall is so important. None of it makes a different out of boost, but under boost it could literally make or break your engine. Just make sure your 2nd ring gap is bigger than the top ring's or you could have issues with things like ring flutter or worse...
thanks for the advice im sorry im a very noob at this. because i want to get this running asap but also i spent already alot just wanted to make sure.
so will the ring end gaps should be good as long as its not too race specs??
its my dd and i hope to baby this thing until i get the boost setup.

i got an idea on what specs i am willing to run..
pls check if this will be okay.

please check these specs if it will be okay for turbo later..
top ring maybe .017
Second ring already checked around .020
third ring maybe .023 just leave it as is???

measured w/out gapping top .013
second . .020 and only one got .021
oil rings some .022 to .019? necessary to file these oil ones down???

Please let me know if i am okay/
will i run into problems if i run it N/A for a while???? oil etc. blow by.

Last edited by EG-SIXV-TEC; 05-25-2013 at 07:34 PM.