Notices

No crank starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 No crank starting issue

I have a 91 hatchback with the d15 sohc, and 4spd manual trans. 310,000 miles

For a while now my car has had difficulty starting. While turning the key to start, the starter would behave erratically. eventually the engine would start but the way the starter was behaving led me to believe something was wrong.
Also, while driving, the car would sputter at times, as if I wasn't getting the required amount of fuel. but i have replaced the fuel filter within the previous year, so i figured it was the distributor.

Recently, the car will not start at all. nor will the engine even turn over.
however, I have been able to push start the car, until a few days ago.

As i was driving to work on a 45 degree morning when the car sputtered and stalled at a light. I tried to push start it multiple times and got nothing.
I had it towed home and I blamed the distributor. (knowing i have a bad o ring in the dizzy) so i bought a new one, slapped her in there, and it worked. no more sputtering or stalling.
at the same time I opted to buy a starter as well. slapped that in in there too with the new dizzy, and unfortunately, still no crank.

So now i know I have a good starter. and a good connection to the starter. but no crank. lights come on in "run" and i hear a click from some relay inside the car and nothing. just one click. lights do not dim.

i think it might have been an intermittent problem for a previous owner because there is a push button start spliced into the starter cable.
although, the ignition switch would still start the car occasionally. (during the winter) now the push button doesn't even crank the motor. I'm at a loss.
I've read on forums that a bad main relay can be the cause of this. but in my case, is that true?

I'm trying to narrow down the problem, any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: No crank starting issue

When you turn the key to ON (the position right before start) does the check engine light come on for about 3 seconds and then turn off?
Can you hear the fuel pump whirrring for those few seconds?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Id guess main relay have you tried putting a battery charger on it though? O r could be ignition switch is getting worn out try turning the key on and jump terminals on starter
Old 05-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4drEF
When you turn the key to ON (the position right before start) does the check engine light come on for about 3 seconds and then turn off?
Can you hear the fuel pump whirrring for those few seconds?
Yes it does, and yes, i can hear the fuel pump. When I turn the key to START, I can also hear one "click" from a relay inside the dash. (sounds like behind the dash towards the middle) My buddy says thats fuel pump priming.

Originally Posted by Son2BEHO
Id guess main relay have you tried putting a battery charger on it though? O r could be ignition switch is getting worn out try turning the key on and jump terminals on starter
Battery is fine, its new and fully charged.
Tried to arc the terminals, got a few sparks, but no start....
BUT.... when I tested it before I put it in the car, it worked fine.

Thanks for replying guize