Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

obd1 b18b with obd2 valve cover question about smog

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd1 b18b with obd2 valve cover question about smog

Ok guys so i've been trying to get this car up to california code so I can get it smogged, I was asking one of the service techs some questions about my intake when he mentioned I have a newer valve head cover on an older version of my engine (obd2 valve cover on an obd1 engine)

He said that it could cause me problems when I'm smogging it because there is an open pcv valve on the valve cover as you can see in the pics....

he said that the smog tech may just ask me to plug it up, he also said if they're dicks they may not pass it period, he was't sure at all because he wasn't a smog tech

i was doing some reading on the forums about this and everyone just says to plug it up

does anyone know if that will fly in california? i know some smog techs can be dicks and ignorant, has anyone had any experience with this in california?

I'm really stressin about this, I don't want to have to track down the old valve cover and put the money into converting it back

Old 05-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obd1 b18b with obd2 valve cover question about smog

also another thing i noticed is that the obd2 valve cover just has a hole in it, and that one has a pvc valve in it

does that mean the old owner put a pvc valve in the hole instead of plugging it?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes the owner put a pcv in tye hole. i say you should plug it with a rubber plug, and hook up the breather tube to your intake pipe.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 05-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just hook up a hose to your intake from the valve cover, but that looks like an ebay intake that ist carb legal.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can't plug it cause its considered a modification, can't plug it into the intake because then that valve with the air filter on it will be considered "open" and its california illegal

the intake is a spectre, good intake but i have no sticker for it, so its useless, im replacing it with an AEM carb legal intake when I go take this bad boy in to get my valve covers swapped

i'm starting to ****** hate california!

thanks for all the help guys

i hope my experiences help others in california
Old 05-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With that fancy mini air filter you have there you are actually hurting your engine rather than helping it. That's the crank case evac breather that needs to go on your intake. you don't need to replace your valve cover just run both the pcv and the evac breather to your intake.

You have two open nipples on the intake pipe so just route them to there
Old 05-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sw20 ant
With that fancy mini air filter you have there you are actually hurting your engine rather than helping it. That's the crank case evac breather that needs to go on your intake. you don't need to replace your valve cover just run both the pcv and the evac breather to your intake.

You have two open nipples on the intake pipe so just route them to there
yep the air filter was put on by the original owner and will be removed soon, the carb legal intake i'm putting on only has 1 nipple on it
Old 05-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ssjhook
can't plug it cause its considered a modification, can't plug it into the intake because then that valve with the air filter on it will be considered "open" and its california illegal

the intake is a spectre, good intake but i have no sticker for it, so its useless, im replacing it with an AEM carb legal intake when I go take this bad boy in to get my valve covers swapped

i'm starting to ****** hate california!

thanks for all the help guys

i hope my experiences help others in california
Uh no? There is a hose from the pcv to the intake from the factory, what makes you think it wouldn't pass like that? What do you think you're supposed to do with it?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Hype-R Stalker

Just run a hose to the nipple that has a filter now to the intake tube.
And tee off the hose on the manifold that's running down back to the black box for the "extra" hole on your obd2 vc.

I don't know if they will say anything with it tee'd off, but that is the same spot it draws from for obd2 motors.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah both of those need to be running to a vacuum source. It doesn't matter how you get them there, just make it happen. Normally the vent on the left (with the cheapo filter on it) goes to the air intake. The vent on the top of the VC with the PCV valve goes to the intake manifold. Not sure it matters but having them go to the correct spot (either upstream or downstream of the IACV) might make your car run better.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yep the air filter was put on by the original owner and will be removed soon, the carb legal intake i'm putting on only has 1 nipple on it
You can get a "T" vac fitting and T off the pcv and evac together on the single nipple your Aem is going to have. You can also just run the evac to the nipple on the intake and Install a "T" on the vac source on the intake manifold. as said above your engine should run better and smoother

The big hose right in the middle when looking at the engine
Old 05-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CleanLikeJdm
Just run a hose to the nipple that has a filter now to the intake tube.
And tee off the hose on the manifold that's running down back to the black box for the "extra" hole on your obd2 vc.

I don't know if they will say anything with it tee'd off, but that is the same spot it draws from for obd2 motors.
Well if plugging the hole is considered a modification i can only imagine tee'ing off the valves would fall under the same category, I will check with another smog tech though

I could probably do all that and it will throw off a smog tech who's never seen the engine before but my smog tech spotted it the second i propped my hood up

and honestly what better way to run your engine properly than to bring it back to stock?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DirtyDA9
Uh no? There is a hose from the pcv to the intake from the factory, what makes you think it wouldn't pass like that? What do you think you're supposed to do with it?
i'm kinda confused by what you're saying, a factory obd1 engine wouldn't have that hole in the valve cover period
Old 05-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the help guys, i really appreciate it, if anyone has done this valve cover swap and managed to pass california smog legally i sure and the hell would really love to know how you did it

better yet of a smog tech can chime in i would love you forever...
Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm kinda confused by what you're saying, a factory obd1 engine wouldn't have that hole in the valve cover period
Im talking about where the little fiter is.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if plugging the hole is considered a modification i can only imagine tee'ing off the valves would fall under the same category, I will check with another smog tech though

I could probably do all that and it will throw off a smog tech who's never seen the engine before but my smog tech spotted it the second i propped my hood up

and honestly what better way to run your engine properly than to bring it back to stock?
What you have now is super obviously wrong. A filter on the crankcase vent and a open PCV valve. Anybody can spot that and know it is wrong. However if you follow what people are saying: connect a hose from where the filter is now to the nipple on the intake arm, and tee the PCV valve vent into a line running to the intake manifold, a smog tech would never know it wasn't stock. Or he/she would know that it was functioning like stock, which is probably good enough.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GagnarTheUnruly
What you have now is super obviously wrong. A filter on the crankcase vent and a open PCV valve. Anybody can spot that and know it is wrong. However if you follow what people are saying: connect a hose from where the filter is now to the nipple on the intake arm, and tee the PCV valve vent into a line running to the intake manifold, a smog tech would never know it wasn't stock. Or he/she would know that it was functioning like stock, which is probably good enough.
I was gonna post the same thing but forgot to.

And hey, more crankcase venting is never a bad thing! Now he'll have two PCV's running instead of one, plus the properly vented breather pipe.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well...its uglier but legal any tips on cleaning that valve cover?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Aircraft Paint Remover then sand and repaint. With the VC off the head of course.