Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch squeaks!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch squeaks!

I was driving earlier and noticed my pedal kind of shaking when I pressed it to shift, a little after that my clutch started squeaking loud! Any ideas and it an easy fix?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Clutch squeaks!

So your clutch is squeaking when the clutch pedal is depressed? That sounds like a throw out bearing to me. That could also cause the vibration in the pedal from pressure plate not meeting the clutch disc evenly.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by goldsy
So your clutch is squeaking when the clutch pedal is depressed? That sounds like a throw out bearing to me.
Yea i think your right lol I just got back from an estimate and the guy said the same but is trying to charge me $800 for a new clutch and labor.. Over charge!!
Old 05-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$800 does seem a bit on the high side. Did he mention if that included resurfacing the flywheel? You can get an Exedy clutch from Rockauto for $130. The bearings aren't that expensive and the last clutch job I did took me about 4 hours without a lift. You can easily shave an hour off with a lift.

Throwout bearings aren't that expensive but since you have to go through all the trouble, you might as well drop the extra cash and change the clutch and pilot bearing while you're in there. The labor is the costly part of a clutch job for sure.

If you can DIY, you'll save yourself a ton of money. It's not a hard job if you're mechanically inclined, it's just time consuming.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just did a clutch for a buddy on a f22 and only charged 300 and he paid 100 for the clutch and 10 for a rear main seal....i just pryed the old seal out(which doesnt matter if you destroy the gasket when your replacing it) not removing anything but the seal and used a block of wood to beat it in with a rubber mallet...i also rubbed gasket maker around the whole gasket when replacing it.... it is always a must when doing a clutch job as it is a ten dollar seal and about 8 hrs of labor .... if it leaks u have another 300 to replace it.... look on craigslist and feel the person out if they are confedent in doing the job and have had years of experience...
Old 05-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if its squeeks it could just need some grease smeared into the pocket of the clutch lever where the slave cylinder ball pivots in.... i know mine and many other friends that have done this when they became rusted with no lube. maybe try spraying some penetrating lube on it and see if it goes away.. grease would work better though
Old 05-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$800 does seem a bit on the high side. Did he mention if that included resurfacing the flywheel? You can get an Exedy clutch from Rockauto for $130. The bearings aren't that expensive and the last clutch job I did took me about 4 hours without a lift. You can easily shave an hour off with a lift.

Throwout bearings aren't that expensive but since you have to go through all the trouble, you might as well drop the extra cash and change the clutch and pilot bearing while you're in there. The labor is the costly part of a clutch job for sure.

If you can DIY, you'll save yourself a ton of money. It's not a hard job if you're mechanically inclined, it's just time consuming.
Yea that is on the high side lolI found that clutch as well. I think I might get that. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
i just did a clutch for a buddy on a f22 and only charged 300 and he paid 100 for the clutch and 10 for a rear main seal....i just pryed the old seal out(which doesnt matter if you destroy the gasket when your replacing it) not removing anything but the seal and used a block of wood to beat it in with a rubber mallet...i also rubbed gasket maker around the whole gasket when replacing it.... it is always a must when doing a clutch job as it is a ten dollar seal and about 8 hrs of labor .... if it leaks u have another 300 to replace it.... look on craigslist and feel the person out if they are confedent in doing the job and have had years of experience...
if its squeeks it could just need some grease smeared into the pocket of the clutch lever where the slave cylinder ball pivots in.... i know mine and many other friends that have done this when they became rusted with no lube. maybe try spraying some penetrating lube on it and see if it goes away.. grease would work better though
A friend of a friend said they'd do the job for $300. I have the Haynes book so I might try to do it myself. I want to learn. Thanks
Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take that Haynes manual and set it on fire. Then get the Honda Helms factory service manual. All 2200+ pages of it. With a bit of searching, you can find it online. You'll thank me later. It doesn't get any more detailed than that.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take that Haynes manual and set it on fire. Then get the Honda Helms factory service manual. All 2200+ pages of it. With a bit of searching, you can find it online. You'll thank me later. It doesn't get any more detailed than that.
Wish I would've known about this before I invested in the Haynes lol
Thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also if its squeaking it could be the center springs in the clutch going... i had a xtd clutch do this when letting the clutch out it would squeak
Old 05-02-2013, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it could be just the throw out bearing is giving out. My exedy stage 1 and fidanza 8lb flywheel have maybe 16k miles on it and my throw out bearing (TOB) chirps like a bird kinda squeaky when you and just driving, if you just barely touch the clutch pedal it stops.

For the last 2 weeks i keep thinking about searching for a high quality TOB. I wish one of the really high end companies made one that is really good. For some reason i have always had this problem with almost all my hondas within the last 6 years. They always sound like a baby bird chirping, low quality chinese bearing. I know it sounds crazy but i am willing to spend 70~ for a decent TOB.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also if its squeaking it could be the center springs in the clutch going... i had a xtd clutch do this when letting the clutch out it would squeak
that sounds like a dry and ungreased pivot where the clutch fork is.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it's the throw out bearing but you could be right.. I'm on rock auto now bout to order a pilot bearing, clutch release bearing and Exedy clutch kit (:
Old 05-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sleepyaccord96
it could be just the throw out bearing is giving out. My exedy stage 1 and fidanza 8lb flywheel have maybe 16k miles on it and my throw out bearing (TOB) chirps like a bird kinda squeaky when you and just driving, if you just barely touch the clutch pedal it stops.

For the last 2 weeks i keep thinking about searching for a high quality TOB. I wish one of the really high end companies made one that is really good. For some reason i have always had this problem with almost all my hondas within the last 6 years. They always sound like a baby bird chirping, low quality chinese bearing. I know it sounds crazy but i am willing to spend 70~ for a decent TOB.
Yea it sounds like that and I hope it's not the clutch for or master cylinder but the diagnostic I went and got yesterday showed the throw out bearing so I thought I may as well purchase a clutch kit while ill be down there
Old 05-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

clutch master cylider (CMC) and Clutch slave cylinder( CSC) would not make the noises you are describing.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

clutch master cylider (CMC) and Clutch slave cylinder( CSC) would not make the noises you are describing.
I know. I just hope I don't have to replace those.. Ill know more as I pull the tranny
Old 05-03-2013, 02:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

buying a whole new clutch kit should solve ur problem ... also make sure to put grease on the end of the slave cylinder pivot before installing it.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i greased the pivot and it still continued to squeak... when i took the clutch out the center springs on the clutch were worn out and loose almost ready to pop out...
Old 05-11-2013, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

buying a whole new clutch kit should solve ur problem ... also make sure to put grease on the end of the slave cylinder pivot before installing it.
I just got my exedy clutch today, waiting on my megan short shifter to arrive. Might as well do it together.. Thanks. For sure!