Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

replaced the radiator, still smoke coming from right side of hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced the radiator, still smoke coming from right side of hood

So yesterday I went to advanced after i noticed my car was smoking on the right passenger side.. popped the hood, and saw coolant that splashed everywhere.... I noticed my radiator cap was spinning free and not locking. So I went and purchased the 80 dollar radiator, upper hose, and lower hose. Installation was very very easy. When I pulled the radiator out as I was disassembling the fan I got my volt meter to see if the fan had continuity.. I stuck my 2radiator prongs to the connectors and got a reading, so I am assuming my fans motor is still good, as I was bleeding cooling system I noticed the radiator fan did not kick on. So I figured driving it tomorrow would help... well this morning on the way to work, everything was fine for the first 20 min.. as I pull into work about 30 minutes later I saw the same smoke symptoms. But this time I had coolant on the bumper and a lot more inside the engine bay.. majority of the coolant was on the top of the radiator.

I have been watching youtube videos on how to check the fan. One said I can go out there disconnect the fan connector and stick a paperclip in the connector to the fan and that it should automatically come on, I did have the engine off and did the connection and the fan did not move. I stuck the paper clip to the two prongs. Nothing, but when I measured with my multimeter I got a reading, had it set to 20 or 200 ohms.... someone also said take the temperature switch out of the tstat housing and jump it from there? Would that work? I dont see why since I dusconnected the fan from the harness right by the radiator.

My main question is, if the radiator fan does not spin at all at opperating temperatures can it cause the radiator to spit out coolant everywhere?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:30 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: replaced the radiator, still smoke coming from right side of hood

No.

I didn't read anything about you bleeding air out of the system. Nor checking the thermostat either.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The thermostat is fine I replaced it a while ago... i did bleed my system, also i noticed smoke coming out of the radiator as I was bleeding.. is that natural?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:53 AM
The Grumpiest

Nope. Not unless you're using straight water. Then it's called steam.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

radiator could be defected... it happens.... just because its new doesnt mean its perfect...
Old 04-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Replace the cap.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:21 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he had a bad c ap in the first place so he bought an autocrap radiator to replace it
Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So the thermostat is good as new?
Checked the paperclip trick but it did'nt go on?

I had a leaking head gasket before and noticed that my fan was'nt working either. So i replaced my head gasket and did the paperclip check. Fan worked fine so i replaced the thermostat.

Maybe do a checkup on this list:

Originally Posted by teal_dx @ civic-eg.com
If your Temperatures are hot these here are some solutions:

1. Bleed your coolant system.
Airbubbles could be trapped in the system which can lead to overheating. With your engine cold, NOT WARM, remove the radiator cap (on radiator, not plastic overflow tank. Then start the car and let it warm up. Turn your heat on high. You may need to hold the throttle at 1500 RPM to get the engine hot enough. When it warms up, you will hear the thermostat click and your coolant will start flowing. Keep a container of mixed Coolant/Water and continue to top off the radiator when it gets low. This will fill in any air bubbles.

2. Check Thermostat. It may be stuck shut all the way or partially. This will cause overheating. Stuck all the way open will cause your engine to never warm up.

3. Check your Fan. If you are overheating in city driving or stop & go traffic, it may be your fan not coming on. Highway driving will push air through your radiator but you need the fan on in the city.

4. Old radiator. Some of the EG's came with a VERY thin radiator about 5/8" thick. I know for a fact that the dx comes with the 5/8" radiator. I replaced it with an EX radiator which is about 1.25" thick. It may just be time to upgrade. Over time build-up and deposits will clog up the channels of the radiator like McDonalda clogs your arteries. A symptom of this problem I had was the temp needle going slightly over 1/2 way on the highway and then going all the way up to HOT as soon as I got off the highway into the city.

5. Headgasket. A bad headgasket will cause overheating. Your car may not blow the obvious white smoke that is known to mean a blown headgasket. Check your coolant, if it is dirty, milky, or has any trace of oil in it, then it could be your headgasket.

6. Blocking flow. You cold have something like a bolt or nut blocking the flow of coolant. Maybe when you were working on the motor, something fell in to a coolant passage.

7. Water Pump. May need replaced.

Also when you add coolant to your civic, Add it to the radiator (only remove the cap when your engine is COLD) Adding it to the overflow tank does not mean it is going into your cooling system. The overflow tank is mainly for overflow as the coolant expands when hot and contracts when cold.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP maybe I'm misreading your post but it doesn't seem your checking the fan correctly.

You check the fan by removing the connector from the temperature switch near the thermostat and jumping that with a paper clip. All other connectors should be connected. Key in run.

Putting a paper clip across the connector on the fan does nothing. Putting one across the harness connector at the fan can blow a fuse if the temp switch is closed.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well I was riding today after work and I noticed my needle started to fluctuate, my coolant needle. For a little while when I would get on the gas it would go down, well it started to go near the red, go about 3/4 then drop to normal, did this a couple of times.. So I went back and bought a 170 degree thermostat and put that in also got the radiator cap which actually locked, re bled my system Needle was fine.. Drove my car back home from a buddies, about 20 miles away. Started going up a big mountain and the needle barley rose. Well coming down it was fine but when I hit flat land it started fluctuating again. By the time I got in my neighborhood at my house the needle was 9/10 up. Right below the white line under the red. Pulled into the driveway saw hella steam coming out of the right side. Popped my hood open and saw so much steam coming out of the left engine bay, kind of below the block I would say.

Believe it or not, the radiator and connections were fine, no leaks and no problems. I was happy about that.

Also I don't think it was the head gasket, I have been checking my oil alot today and no coolant and oil have mixed

Could it be the water pump going out? Even though it is on the right side of the engine.

I am really confused and scared to drive my car now. What should be my next step?

I re bled the car earlier today with a friend of mine and I did see the radiator aux fan kick on a couple of times.

I also replaced the Engine coolant temperature sensor, below the distributor

Thank you guys for helping me out

Last edited by clindberg86; 04-13-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: adding more information
Old 04-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does the car make any unusual noises?

Just in case i would definitely change the waterpump. Usualy when the head gasket and or timing belt get changed it's a good idea to take the waterpump and change that as well.

Worth a shot right?
Old 04-14-2013, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AddiXz
Does the car make any unusual noises?

Just in case i would definitely change the waterpump. Usualy when the head gasket and or timing belt get changed it's a good idea to take the waterpump and change that as well.

Worth a shot right?
good point, also is the smoke coming from your coolant reservoir
Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not from the coolant resevoir.. now come to think of it, I am going to pull the t stat and make sure the cut out in the gasket is lined up with the little moving "bb" lets call it on the actual thermostat its self, and make sure it is pointing at 12 o'clock in correlation with the tstat housing.. I am assuming that could be a problem. Cause last night when I got home and poped my hood the upper radiator hose was really hot, and the lower near the t stat housing was mildly warm..

I dont think its the water pump, because last night as I was bleeding my system i could see water moving in the radiator... can water pumps work intermittently?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it matter what temperature thermostat I have? I bought a 170 should I of bought a 195?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clindberg86
Does it matter what temperature thermostat I have? I bought a 170 should I of bought a 195?
It's not going to make that much of a difference. You probably wouldn't even notice the 15 degree difference of your temp gauge. I use a 195 but I'm in Atlantic Canada. I'd recommend the 170 in warmer areas but like I said, the difference is subtle.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not from the coolant resevoir.. now come to think of it, I am going to pull the t stat and make sure the cut out in the gasket is lined up with the little moving "bb" lets call it on the actual thermostat its self, and make sure it is pointing at 12 o'clock in correlation with the tstat housing.. I am assuming that could be a problem. Cause last night when I got home and poped my hood the upper radiator hose was really hot, and the lower near the t stat housing was mildly warm..

I dont think its the water pump, because last night as I was bleeding my system i could see water moving in the radiator... can water pumps work intermittently?
I don't know if this is possible. But the top being hot and the bottom mildly warm is quite normal if you ask me. As far as i know cooling liquid comes in at the top of your radiator. Unless you have an engine that works backwards, wich would be awesome in a way

Now in your situation i would definitely change the water pump. If you're not sure you should play it safe. And i don't think "not changing it, cause you're not sure" is not exactly playing it safe. Now is it?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:52 AM
The Grumpiest

Never heard of a water pump working intermittently. They either do or not.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:06 AM
longest project ever

I had a pump act like that on a 98, it was the strangest thing, didnt make any sense, the timing belt had to be changed anyway,so no loss, I tried everything else, but when I replaced the water pump it went away, there isnt any reason it acted that way, but it did
Old 04-15-2013, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the thermostat gasket was on wrong.. so i bought a new thermostat and gasket and aligned it the appropriate way.. bleed the system, got into my car today and started driving to work.. everything was fine for about 30 min then it started doing it again. So I poped my hood and my radiator fan was not running.. I got my alligator clips and jumped the fan off the battery for constant power. Got in the car got it aaboute more minutes and hit a gas station. Poured the rest of the antifreeze in my radiator which was half a bottle and kept going.. needle was fine for about 2 minutes and went back up... got to another gas station and steam was pouring out.. Not from my radiator at all but under my distrubutor and above transmission it was.... No white smoke pouring out the tail pipe, so i went in and got a jug of water.. filled my radiator up with 3/4 a gallon.. drove to my mechanic which was about 6you miles away.... it did fine, needle was halfway.. got near my mechanic and i showed them where it was leaking.. I am having them diagnose it, I am off wednesday and thursday from work... I don't know I am freaking out... smoke only from below distributor and transmission above.. I can't afford this.. I am getting married and this is just happening at the wrong time.

Thank you guys for all of your input. I am really gracious
Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oil dripping from the dizzy o-ring will deterorate the hose. ive had that hose burst on me before. i cut the bad section off (about 3 inches)and went on my way...
Old 04-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where is this hose located? And why would itt suck down my coolant
Old 04-15-2013, 10:50 AM
longest project ever

Where is this hose located? And why would itt suck down my coolant
um...................it's leaking out,
Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
oil dripping from the dizzy o-ring will deterorate the hose. ive had that hose burst on me before. i cut the bad section off (about 3 inches)and went on my way...
Correct! Heater hose! Thank you so much. I appreciate you guys helping me