Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Are these bearings seem good still?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Are these bearings seem good still?

Hey guys,
I got my 2.3CL knuckles for both sides. The Ebay seller would not sell just hubs/bearings. I guess they are too lazy to remove the hubs/bearings alone.
I have two videos where I spin the bearings by hand. The first one, the bearings still on the knuckle, the 2nd video, the bearing/hub off the knuckles. Both bearings, spinning by hands are not loose but stiff and tight. No wobbles or play at all when pulling and tugging. The one side of the bearing, when spin by hand, there's a slight noise like two pieces of paper rubbing together. I thought it was from the dirt on the rear of the bearing. This same bearing, when I clean, there's like a black plastic rubber seal of some sort the came out b/w the hub and bearing. I have 2 pics for this seal thingie.

My other thing is the upper and lower joints, none has play but the lower ball joint boots are torn from the guy removing the knuckles. The lower joints still move smooth with resistance and no play. The upper control arms joint boots are torn but grease still inside and the joints move smooth, no play, but offer little resistance compare to the lower ball joints. The bushings are shot but those could be replaced.
So do you guy think the upper arms and lower ball joints still good if I replace all the boots?
Here are the videos?

Pictures with black plastic seal thingie coming off. Is still part of the bearing that is coming loose? I bought these together to avoid paying $60 to press out and in new bearings. Not counting the cost of new bearings. So I would like your opinions on the bearing conditions.
Thanks.

It looks like the little plastic thingie is from some sort of bearing seal like in the Timken picture below. But why would they seal the grease in some thing that take a beating, like a bearing, with a rubber seal? I guess when I spray the PB Blaster on the bolts to loosen, it got on the plastic seal and soften and destroy it? It looks like the little ridge around the seal came off so maybe the seal is still good to hold the grease in there. What do you guys think?
Thanks.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Are these bearings seem good still?

I would go ahead and replace them. I know mine need to get done badly, but that will wait till I can afford a ROH setup.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I replace them that's another $100 for Timken parts, and not counting the $60 if I am lucky to find a shop that will press out and in for me. I am trying avoid this cost and not sure if these bearings might still be good. I got the 2 knuckles for $135, was this a good deal?
Thanks.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, thats the rubber seal to keep dirt out or whatever. And you shouldn't be feeling that grit feeling when spinning the hub by hand. I just recently convert mines to ROH. I spent close to $500.00 (with shop discounts) just for everything including two lower ball joints while I was at it. Both bearings I got are from Honda, and are on national back order til May 21 or later. But luckily one of my local Honda has only two in stock, so I snatched them the next day for $77.00/ea.

I work at a shop, so I have acess to a press and only took me 2mins to press the new bearings onto the new CL hubs. $135.00 is good for two CL knuckles w/ hubs. I was looking for used one as well, but I bit the bullet and decided to just get all new parts from the get go to save me trouble and coming back to fix problems in the future.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I contacted the Ebay seller to see if he could help me. He runs a car junkyard up north of SoCal. So hopefully he has another one just hub/bearing. It's not much that could go wrong with the hub unless you really abuse it. That's just it, I don't have $500 to drop. But for me, I don't have shop discounts.
Thanks.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_dude
I contacted the Ebay seller to see if he could help me. He runs a car junkyard up north of SoCal. So hopefully he has another one just hub/bearing. It's not much that could go wrong with the hub unless you really abuse it. That's just it, I don't have $500 to drop. But for me, I don't have shop discounts.
Thanks.
It's all good. It's better off to just find used ones if you can which will save you the big bucks in the long run. But since I had trouble finding used ones on Ebay or locally, I just ordered up new ones. Otherwise, I don't mind a used sets.