Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What is wrong with my transmission? (video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 What is wrong with my transmission? (video)

SO before i throw a new trany in this car (99 civic auto D16Y7) I want to get your input on what wrong
Thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: What is wrong with my transmission? (video)

first problem is that its the Tragic auto and they always normally go bad at about 130k if fluid was never flushed. when its making that grinding noise does the car still accelerate? does it still accelerate in 4th gear? if not it may be only slipping in 4th gear. usually autos will start to slip in one gear only before they go. My auto before i swapped 5 speed would slip into 3rd gear and grab and drive normal. when u let off the gas when it grinds then hit the gas does it shift into 4th and go away? if so your trans is slipping in 4th is about to go eventually. i got about a year out of my trans before it completely went out. but if u wait that long its going to leave u stranded one day because its a wet clutch system once 4th goes all the gears go out and you wont go no where except fred flintstone power. I put that lucus auto trans stop slip in and it helpped alil bit, but it will eventually go out on you. You can not reverse the damage thats allready there it can only get worse from here on out.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It only does it when your foot is compleatly off the pedal. i can accelerate as hard as i want in the car. ive had it up to 60 ish for 3 miles and it stayed right in gear. it only does that when i let it coast in fourth.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the trans overfilled causing the TQ converter to lock up earlier and alil between gear? I know with my buddys mustang if you leave the fluid low it stalls higher then if the trans is full. very strange issue not too sure i can help u out with that one or will many others as most swap the auto for 5 speeds. it definately doesnt sound healthy. ive only taken manual transmissions apart never a an auto. so even if u give it light throttle it goes away?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really dont know if its over filled or not. my dad (ase certified mechanic) said its not and im checking it wrong. he says it should be running when i check it and he didnt think it was over filled enough to cause a problem. i think that it is over filled. checked with car off but it wasnt up to temp yet. here is a picture when i checked.
If i give it any throttle once it starts it will go away and i can come to a stop. if you dont completely let up when stopping it wont do it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chriser0/8547052564/

Last edited by Chriser0; 04-04-2013 at 06:03 AM. Reason: not sure if the pic posted right added link
Old 04-04-2013, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chriser0
I really dont know if its over filled or not. my dad (ase certified mechanic) said its not and im checking it wrong. he says it should be running when i check it and he didnt think it was over filled enough to cause a problem. i think that it is over filled. checked with car off but it wasnt up to temp yet. here is a picture when i checked.
If i give it any throttle once it starts it will go away and i can come to a stop. if you dont completely let up when stopping it wont do it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chriser0/8547052564/
Your father is correct. you have to check it while its running. If it is overfilled, drain it and refill. You will need a really thin funnel, you fill it in the dip stick. ( where your checking your the trans level )
Old 04-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that fluid definately looks cooked... its brown does it smell burnt like? and yes you can check it yourself with the E-Brake on and the car in neutral
Old 04-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
first problem is that its the Tragic auto and they always normally go bad at about 130k if fluid was never flushed. when its making that grinding noise does the car still accelerate? does it still accelerate in 4th gear? if not it may be only slipping in 4th gear. usually autos will start to slip in one gear only before they go. My auto before i swapped 5 speed would slip into 3rd gear and grab and drive normal. when u let off the gas when it grinds then hit the gas does it shift into 4th and go away? if so your trans is slipping in 4th is about to go eventually. i got about a year out of my trans before it completely went out. but if u wait that long its going to leave u stranded one day because its a wet clutch system once 4th goes all the gears go out and you wont go no where except fred flintstone power. I put that lucus auto trans stop slip in and it helpped alil bit, but it will eventually go out on you. You can not reverse the damage thats allready there it can only get worse from here on out.
My auto trans has 310k and going strong. Most important things are fluid level and quality with an auto trans. Helm manual has a good tranny troubleshooting section that'll tell you whats wrong.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PeRK82
Your father is correct. you have to check it while its running. If it is overfilled, drain it and refill. You will need a really thin funnel, you fill it in the dip stick. ( where your checking your the trans level )
Mine you're supposed to check it within 1 minute of turning off the engine. Overfilling is worse than underfilling with these things.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It doesnt smell bad. (but i havent stuck my nose right to the dip stick). I just looked at the service manual for it and it says with the car off but up to temp. i just tried with it running and it was way over the fill line and up on the shaft. like it was splashing around and makeing it unreadable. I got the car for free and i found a trans with 71k miles on it for $350. would it even be worth trying to mess with this one. Warm weather this weekend so maybe my dad can help me drain and refill it.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe its just the torque converter or a bolt came loose on the torque plate. Open the inspection cover and have a look and poke around in there.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats the chances that if some one put regular dexron ATF in it that it would cause this problem? Apparently when i got the car (my dads friend) said he put regular dexron in it. I didnt hear that till tonight. I guess that went in one of my ears and out the other.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats the chances that if some one put regular dexron ATF in it that it would cause this problem? Apparently when i got the car (my dads friend) said he put regular dexron in it. I didnt hear that till tonight. I guess that went in one of my ears and out the other.
Its possible that it could cause slippage but for the most part. All trans fluid is the same. The only difference is that diff. companies use additives with their trans.

I know Honda is very specific but so is Chevy and anyone for that matter.

Drain it and fill back up with HONDA Trans fluid or equivalent.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Draining only replaces ~3-4 quarts. I'd flush it (requires about 11-12 quarts to do it yourself).
Dexron III is ok for TEMPORARY use. Use Honda genuine fluid.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How much does the fluid cost for a quart? and is it just honda ATF or is there a certain kind. im to the point now if i flush it and it doesnt fix it im out that money and i still have to buy a trans. im not sure that this car is worth throwing a bunch of money at it.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How much does the fluid cost for a quart? and is it just honda ATF or is there a certain kind. im to the point now if i flush it and it doesnt fix it im out that money and i still have to buy a trans. im not sure that this car is worth throwing a bunch of money at it.
1 QUART of Honda Genuine DW-1 Automatic Transmission Fluid : Amazon.com : Automotive 1 QUART of Honda Genuine DW-1 Automatic Transmission Fluid : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 04-05-2013, 07:02 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Your father is correct. you have to check it while its running.
You cannot check a Honda transmission with the engine running. The engine needs to be warmed up and the fluid checked within about a minute of shutting the engine off. If you check it with the engine running it will show crazy high on the dipstick.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
You cannot check a Honda transmission with the engine running. The engine needs to be warmed up and the fluid checked within about a minute of shutting the engine off. If you check it with the engine running it will show crazy high on the dipstick.

Why would it read high. Think about it, when the engine is running the Trans is circulating.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Why would it read high. Think about it, when the engine is running the Trans is circulating.
The fluid sloshes around all over the place, look in the hole with the dipstick out and the engine running. Honda automatics are not built like conventional automatics. They don't use a planetary arrangement or a pan. Most of the things that typically apply to automatic transmissions don't apply here.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So we did a drain refill cycle and nothing improved. Dad told me to drive it till the transmission completely went. well it finally did. I think that grinding was the trans trying to go into reverse when coasting. Reverse is now gone and the noise has a diffrent tone to it so i think the gear is gone. Glad he was with me to push it off the hill i was parked on. once we swap it ill open it up and see the carnage
Old 05-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, when you swap it out, make sure to use Honda ATF DW-1, I am at 270,100 miles on mine and have only used Honda fluid changed at 60k mile intervals and I would not hesitate to take it across the country.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when will refilled it we used valvoline import ATF. said for use in hondas that take Z1 fluid. maybe that was wrong too. every thing i read said z1 was the same as DW1.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are a few things that I would only trust genuine Honda fluid to and the transmission is one of them, especially being a AT.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do they snuggle with you afterwards?

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-T...RANSFLUID.aspx
Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt think it was worth putting true honda ATF in a trans that was shot anyway. and after some reasearch i think that valvoline import ATF is a decent enough to put in the next one.