Notices

dohc zc issues, big time

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: dohc zc issues, big time

post a picture of what the pointer on the cover is pointing to on the crank pulley while the top gears are lined up.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bryan469
thats what im saying, im thinking the crank and pulley are not original, so the marks arent lining up.

and for the timing part its pretty muched timed right now, using the gun. i mean it stays on, and surges a little bit when i start it up cold.

Actually, what you have is EVERYTHING is correct for the ZC with exception for the crankshaft gear.
The cam gears are obviously right.
The crankshaft pulley is right too (maybe) since you are using a timing gun to pick up the marks.

I'm not sold on that idea though and it has me curious.
It would be awesome if you could do it one more time - line up the detent mark on the crankshaft timing belt gear to the mark on the block. Stick a long screwdriver in #1 cylinder to verify it is at TDC. That will tell you if you have the right gear for the belt.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok im gonna take some pics, and remove the pulley, but no way in hell am i taking the belt off again lmao. ill find the TDC the ill show where the arrows are, ill make sure to take plenty pics.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you locked the cam gears at TDC and loosened the tensioner, you could do the belt off and on really easy.
Just a tip if you ever have to do it.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It took me several hours with the engine out and that's just how fu*** it is.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dohc zc is a great motor if you can harness the power its really simple i know when i did my swap i ended up doing the timing like 20 time no joke but im know its on point now and if anybody asks i can time the **** outta this motor when you do your timing just remember to turn the motor over by hand 6 time and then look at your marks and you have to set your crank sproket back 3 teeth because when you put the tension-er on any slack in the belt will make something outta wack when i did mine i set the crank gear retard a couple teeth and then the cams and did the tension on it and spun the motor by hand and after the 6 time everything was still lined up .....even tho i thought i was having the same problem timing was off in fact my fuel pump was bad well at least i know my timings dead on lol
Old 03-28-2013, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i also run the pm6 ecu... and make sure to check all plugs on your harness for bent pins or cuts in the wires these motors are for lack of a better word drama queens and a little thing sets them off and run will run goofy
Old 03-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mr.jdmcrxzc
i also run the pm6 ecu... and make sure to check all plugs on your harness for bent pins or cuts in the wires these motors are for lack of a better word drama queens and a little thing sets them off and run will run goofy
im leaving to panama this saturday for two weeks, this project is going to have to wait..

and i just found out where my small oil leak is coming from, it looks as though my exhaust side camshaft seal thingy isnt pushed all the way back the the intake side, PLEASE PLEASE is there anyway to put it where it should be without having to take off the damn camshaft...cuz that would be a bitch, plus timing all over again.

Can i just use something and push it back?
Old 03-30-2013, 05:06 AM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You don't have to take out the camshaft, just the cam cap. Just make sure you retorque it to spec.