Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My 94 civic is having some issues, need some advice.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 94 civic is having some issues, need some advice.

hey guys, decided to try this site out to see where it would get me.
I have a 1994 civic si 1.6L vtec, standard. I recently just had quite a bit of work done to it (timing belt, driver's side lower ball joint, both cv shafts, my clutch, front and rear seals, oil change, rad fluid changed, and my thermostatic switch). I haven't had the car very long at all, and when i bought it i knew it would need some/most of this work done. The reason I did my thermostatic switch was because my fan wasnt working, although the motor on it wasn't broken and the fuse wasnt either. when we were trying to troubleshoot the problem for it, we ended up taking out the thermo. switch to just leave the fan on because that switch seemed to be the problem. But once I got the car back from getting it all fixed up, the fan still wouldn't turn on. My temp gauge never reads higher than just under half way, but my car ended up over heating on me. the pressure must have been so bad that it blew a three inch gash into my upper rad hose. so when i was stranded on the side of the road i decided to check my oil, and it said i had none in there even though i had just gotten an oil change (when my mechanic took my filter off while doing the oil change there was absolutely NO oil in it). so i put in some oil, but ended up having to get towed home anyways because the battery ended up dying. i had left the car for about an hour to cool down, but every five hundred feet or so i'd have to stop again to let it cool down. i checked the oil level again the next day and now it says i have more than an inch over the full line on the dipstick. we're wondering if i could have blown my head gasket or if it could just be something to do with the fan not coming on?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP?? the car hasnt been turned on for over a week now, mainly because i dont want to screw it up more and that i've been pissed off at it.

anyways, thanks! Olivia
Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My 94 civic is having some issues, need some advice.

Do an oil chang and see if there is coolant mixed with the oil.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My 94 civic is having some issues, need some advice.

If your temp gauge doesn't read above halfway how do you know it's overheating? I'm assuming that you "removing the thermostatic switch" means you hard wired your fan. If this is true it should run anytime the ignition is "on". However, if its wired improperly, it could stay on all the time and drain your battery. As far as the oil goes, I'm a little confused. You said it was empty, so you added some. Then when you checked it, it was overfilled. Sounds like you put in too much, unless I missed something. I hope some of this helps. It's not much, but more details about what happened with each problem would be helpful.