Notices

91 Hatch Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 91 Hatch Starting Issue

Hey guys Im new here and I dont own a honda but I have done alot of searching and I have found some good info on here. However I haven't found an answer to my buddies issue...
A friend of mine bought a 91 civic hatch that has a jdm b16a and pr3 ecu.
The car wouldnt start, the kid he bought it from said it ran fine and then just wouldn't start 1 day. The kid thought it was the fuel pump got a new 1 installed it same thing.
My buddy bought it and I've been going over the wiring, some of the engine/chassis grounds were crap so we replaced them. I then checked the main relay it tested fine so I checked the harness for it and there was an issue going to the fuel pump using the jumper so I moved to the connection under the rear seat. It had power at the connector but none at the fuel pump. I noticed there was a relay installed in the power wire going to the fuel pump.
When by passing the relay the fuel pump primes like it should and runs like normal after start up, we let it idle for about 45min and everything was fine no blown fuses, error codes, etc..
My question is does the relay have to be there since the swap was done or can it be eliminated?
Im guessing it was added to keep it from blowing fuses but Im not sure as stated during idle it didnt blow any.
If it does need to be there would someone have a diagram they can provide to show how it should be hooked up?
The relay that is being used is a 5 pole 12v 20a/30a and I dont think its wired properly from what I have found online but im not sure. A jumper and a rectifier diode has been added to it and I dont know why or what they are for.
Im attaching a link to a diagram that I have drawn up representing how the relay is wired and the list of how the relay is suppose to be wired based off what I have found.

2nd Pic shows the connector as it was in the car.
If any additional info is needed let me know and I'll try to provide you with what I can.
Also the relay has a ground going to it, its ran inside the sheathing with the connector but its separate from the connector, what is it suppose to be attached to?
Any info you can provide would be great. Thanks

Last edited by NoHonda4Me; 03-08-2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: link didnt work