Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 Civic Dx - No Crank problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 94 Civic Dx - No Crank problem

It's been three weeks already and I still haven't found the solution to the starting problem for my vehicle. From all the diagnosing and troubleshooting that I've performed already, I believe my car has some electrical issues.

1) Diagnosed vehicle for any ecu codes. (Nothing shows/No codes were read)

2) Battery was recharged to 12.6 v

3) Checked all my fuses both from the engine bay and under the steering column (all fuses are good)

4) Bought a different starter, got it tested, turns out the starter is still good.

5) Main Relay Test: fuel pump whines and the relay clicks when the engine is turned to the on position

6) Jump starting the starter didn't work. I also tried by passing the clutch switch by jumping a wire to the clutch interlock wire connector which still didn't make a difference.

7) Checked for voltage and continuity (Electrical system is reading and sending power thoughout the vehicle)

8) Replaced my key ignition switch to see if that was the problem; apparently replacing the key ignition switch wasn't the problem either.

9) As for a manual transmission, the vehicle does not have a neutral safety switch.

10) Check the clutch inter lock switch sensor itself and the gapping when the clutch is depressed. (Still not the problem. Although I have a sense that the clutch interlock switch sensor could be one of the problems. But I wouldn't know if the sensor is bad or not)

11) When the key ignition is on the start position, I only hear a few clicks. (Lightly tapping the starter didn't help either)

12) Whenever I push start the car, the vehicles starts up.

Electrical Issues? I'm stuck and a little stressed out. I need more technical advice from you Honda Techs.

Last edited by BistaYang; 02-16-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: add more information
Old 02-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 94 Honda Civic Dx still not able to start

Replace the starter is what it sounds like to me
Old 02-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you have to have to force when hitting the starter happened to me the other day just a good few knocks n started right up
Old 02-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

check to make sure your grounds are good. You could have forgotten one (there are 3) Clicking sound reminds me of this: make sure you have the ground that goes to the tranny bracket(1), the one that ties on the frame above the ac condenser to the cylinder cover/ps bracket(depends on car)(2) and the one on the thermostat(3) make sure they are tight and clean. clicking sounds like the one going to the tranny bracket.
You can save alot of work by using a noid light to see if your ignitiion/starting system is working properly and your problem simply take the black single wire off the starter clamp the grounding clamp part of the noid light on the wire and then stick the sharp end of the light to the neg terminal on your battery. Now start the car (III on the ignition)
If it lights your ignition switch, main relay etc (electronics/switches/relays) are working properly
BTW Props go to "FCM" the old fart in the H-T Integra forum for this idea.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

If a buddy holds the key in ON(III)-START, do you measure battery voltage at the starter solenoid terminal (small Blk/Wht wire)?

Do you measure battery voltage at the starter motor terminal (large black wire)?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Civic Dx - No Crank problem

The past sunday on 2/17/13 my car decided to start up. I don't know what caused the car to crank and start up. To help clear this up here's what I did.

I was planning to take out the starter from the motor because my last solution was to buy a brand new starter. Before doing so, the things I disconnected were:

positive battery cable & (the positive connection to the starter), the starter wire to the starter and two of my spark plug wires. Before I was going to remove the entire starter,
I was thinking to myself (my vehicle probably has bad grounding). Making a few adjustments cleaning ground wires/battery cables and properly reinstalling cable wires (battery & starter). After doing that I've decided to start up the car and eventually the motor cranks but didn't start. I went back to the engine bay to take a look around and realized that I FORGOT to plug in two of my spark plug wires. After plugging in the two unplugged spark plug wires, and cranking the motor again, my car starts and runs fine. In addition to my running vehicle again, I now have a sensor probem. (Will post a new thread about my sensor issue)

Thanks anyways for advices, tips Honda Techs!

Last edited by BistaYang; 02-23-2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Making correctons