OBX 5.5 qt. Oil Pan with Oil Sump
ARP Head Studs
Oil Cooler
Oil Relocation Kit
Oil Line going to the Vtec Solenoid 1/8 port on the head
P06 ECU Converted to a P28
i dont have pistons yet

alright.
well heres the deal.... I have no pistons yet, and im looking into forged pistons.. either CP Pistons or SRP Pistons.. I would like to run Mid Compression, like around 9.8:1 CR to 10.5:1 CR. i was wondering how much boost MAX i can run on 10.5:1 CR and on Priemum 91 Fuel.. i know some people say thats pushing it but my friend had a B16A Vtec running 12 pounds of boost on pump gas all stock and i look up the compression ratio on the B16a and it is 10.2:1 CR.. my friend that owned the car said he could run 14 pounds with stock internals max.. **** was Fast..

I will GET AEM Water/Methonal Injection so i can up the boost when i want to go fast.... and I WILL GET a dyno tune.

Why i want 10.5:1 compression - because i like the all around power and the natural torque. so when im not in boost like like to drive around not flooring it just to get up to speed unlike low compression were you gotta floor it when your not in boost just to get up to the speed limit.
Why i dont want low compression - because i dont like the off Boost response and i want to do something different than Many other people and there builds..

Another idea was to run Boost with Nitrous.. and i am trying to figure out if 9.8:1 CR - 10.5:1 compression ratio would work.
i would want like 40 shot of nitrous because when i NEED it, Its there for me.

But anyways. if you can help me out. that would be great.

Last edited by Switch707; 02-14-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM
OneBadTurboCRV

Default Re: D16 Turbo and Nitrous

You and your friends are idiots. PSI means absolutely NOTHING. CFM is used to calculate limits for the turbo; horsepower/torque is used for limits of the engine. You should really search the basics before posting such nonsense. Also, high compression turbos have been going on for more than a decade. I can assure you it is nothing new. Nitrous on this build would be pointless with that small of a turbo either way.

What people need to know to better help you is your wheel horsepower goals and purpose of the vehicle.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

?? i know about the WHP goals,, just i dont have a goal yet.. i want to know how much psi with 10.5:1 CR my build can handle with pump gas so i dont have to run race fuel and then i could start working on my HP goals i know high compression turbo has been around for a long time.... just most people go with low compression is what i was trying to say.. im not saying that no one has done it...
and the nitrous was just a thought. and thank you, but id like to know why it would be pointless with my setup too.

and as i said. i like the all around power. so the purpose of my build would be for like autox, i think thats what its called.. but just for windy roads and some stright aways.
im not really a drag racing type.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So many bad parts

The under drive crank pulley is junk, it offers no harmonic dampening and I have seen numerous cases where aluminum crank pulleys cause bearing failure

The eBay exhaust manifold... it will crack, no way around it,
The eBay turbo... it will more than likely fail. 95% of them do
EBay intercoolers are horrible, cause severe pressure drop and lackluster charge cooling due to core design
EBay air filter... I've seen them disintegrate and get sucked up by the turbo, damaging it in the process
2.25" intercooler piping will be very restrictive. You can use it on the hot side without issue but using it forthe cold side will be a bbottleneck.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Trial User

yeah i fugured that with the underdrive pulley but the rods, pistions, flywheel, crank, and the underdrive pulley are going to get balanced so i im thinkin maybe it will be alright i guess..
the manifold.. i know about that.. its already cracked. but im going to get it welded and make better supports for it and brackets to hold the weight of the wastegate, im just trying to see if i can make it work.. if no i will just keep with an castiron manifold..
the turbo is still in good condition, no shaft play, no cracks inside or out
and the hot side of the intercooler piping is 2.25" and the cold side it 2.5".. is that alright or do i need to go bigger
the intercool works real good actually...
and the air filter has been doing real good too sence i had it for 2 years now and no problems

but anyways.. can we just keep with my post and not talk about some random stuff like This..
Old 02-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Switch707
the intercool works real good actually...
What are you basing that on?

I think someone needs to take a look at the FAQ...this setup has a lot of issues
Old 02-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Trial User

the cold side seemed to be real cold but what ever... its not like i cant get a new intercooler if it fails or some ****...
and whats wrong with my setup
i dont even have pistons yet...
i just trying to figure out if i can get away with 10.5:1 compression with boost...........
and i want to know a lot about it so i can make my mind on 10.5:1 or just go lower like 9.8:1 or 9:1..
Old 02-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Its just that they aren't that efficient... the cause huge pressure drops above 15psi and the don't function nearly as well as a unit with a Garrett or PWR core. I've seenwR and Garrett units keep the charge air 10 degrees above ambient on high HP cars... not so much with the eBay units

I have PWR cores for all of my vehicles and they work flawlessly.

Balancing won't mean much... having the flywheel balanced is a good thing, but do it by itself, don't balance it with the clutch on it, nor should you balance the clutch assembly. You will have to replace clutch components and that renders the balance moot

Balancing the bottom end and using an aluminum pulley still won't help.,. Even perfectly balanced, the rotation if the motor causes the crank to flex and vibrate... its the job of the crank pulley to dampen these forces, an aluminum unit will actually make this worse and amplify those forces. Why do you think the stock pulley is so heavy? Same with ATI and Fluidampr units? They absorb the forces applied to the crank by the force the rods apply to it

Also you haven't given us a power foale, so we can't tell you if the parts suit the application

2.25 hot and 2.5 cold is fine if you're aiming for 300s

10:5 on 91 octane is a bad idea.. most of the high compression high HP motors use e85 as fuel, which is why they can get away with such high compression numbers

10:1 is really the limit on 93, with methanol injection
Anything above that, especially on 91 is going to cause issues, you'll definitely need methanol injection in high blend ratios, above 50% methanol to water.

I'm doing an ls/VTEC build that's right around 10:5-10:1 on 9e with a 70/30 blend methanol injection system, and I'm aiming for 450-500 max with a very broad power band.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Trial User

oh okay well i see what you are saying..
ill look into the PWR cores

yeah i under stand to not balance the clutch and the pulley.. well im going to give it a try and test it out. see how it does.. if it does ruin the bearings. ill just redo it and put the old balancer on

alright ill just throw out an goal... 250-300 hp goal for right now.

i just dont understant how 10.5 compression cant handle 91 pump gas..
and how much boost were they runing on the 10.1 compression with 93 and methonal
cuz my friends car had 10.2 compression on pump gas runing 12 psi and it ran realy good. no signs of detonation..
and we dont have e85 around here.
just only 91 octane
i mean ive heard people running 10.5 compression with boost on pump gas with no problem
and thats why im trying to figure out if i can or cant.. i just need solid reasions why.

okay so im still good with the piping
Old 02-14-2013, 05:09 PM
OneBadTurboCRV

PSI, boost, positive pressure, ect all mean EXACTLY NOTHING. You could have 50 lbs of boost with one turbo and be perfectly fine with an engine setup. On the same setup with a different turbo you will blow it with 5 PSI. If you don't understand this, then stop right now as you are clueless.

You will easily be able to run whatever compression you want up to around 12:1 because static compression isn't the problem. The dynamic compression and cylinder pressures with a specific style of cam and boost is where the problem is. You will have to pull so much timing you will wind up making less power than a lower compression engine at the same PSI. Gasp, I used PSI as reference? That is because we are assuming same turbo; it is all about context.

For 250-300whp all you need is rods, pistons, and head studs. Everything else can be factory. For a street car on pump gas, anything between 9.5 - 10.5:1 will be more than fine. Just pick a compression and go with it, no discussion is needed.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:16 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

...and nitrous!!! I almost spit out my coffee!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Trial User

okay im a little clueless of what you ment with 50 pounds vs 5 psi..
i just want to know how much psi of boost i can run with 10.5:1 compression with 91 octane by not pulling much timing, or not pulling any timing off.... if it is even possible
people say you can run 8 psi with 10.5:1 easily on pump gas and then there people saying you cant run boost on 10.5:1 with pump gas..
this is what im trying to figure it out..
Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 PM
OneBadTurboCRV

Again, you did NOT give enough specifications on your turbo to help you. If you don't understand that PSI is 100% meaningless, you are beyond helping. Too many variables and turbo differences to say "Oh yeah XX psi..." Read the FAQs and try again.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Trial User

alright well what do you want to know about the turbo
its a T3/T4
Oil cooled only

• 6 Blade Propeller

• Compressor Specs :
3" Compressor Inlet
3.000" or 76.20mm Major
1.988" or 50.50mm Minor