Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

EBC Sport Rotor Conversion 2009 Accord Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Seminole, AL across the Perdido River from Pensacola, FL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post EBC Sport Rotor Conversion 2009 Accord Coupe

Hi All:

In case you are interested in upgrading your brakes to have them perform much better than stock, check out the EBC Sport Rotor conversion with Red Stuff Pads. I felt that the stock brakes were inadequate, especially when adding more HP inducing mods as I have. They are slotted AND cross-drilled and the anodized coating looks good as well. These are the best bang for the buck as compared to the expensive Big Brake Kits from Stop-Tech, Brembo and the like. As well, I powder coated the stock calipers in "Poor Man's Brembo Red" taking care to liberally heat tape the emergency brake connector to protect it from the 500 degree baking process. The brake performance has definitely improved, especially in the wet, and I have had no squeal or dust problems at all.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EBC Sport Rotor Conversion 2009 Accord Coupe

any pictures?

also what pads are you using? 08-10 Accord rear pads are known to wear down very quick.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:22 PM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

Report back when the rotors radiate cracks from the cross drilled holes.

EBC= No, thank you.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 732xghost
any pictures?

also what pads are you using? 08-10 Accord rear pads are known to wear down very quick.
As noted above, I am using the EBC "Red Stuff" pads. Yes, the rears do wear down faster as the apportioning valve is biased a bit to the rear as weight shift in braking tends to unload the rear wheels. I found this to be true on Nissan Maximas as well and am sure many other makes and models.

Go to my garage to see pix...
Old 02-13-2013, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nub

EBC= No, thank you.
I have 3 years and 55 K miles on them with nary a problem. I have not heard of anyone else having those cracks, not saying they could not happen, but do admit (being an aerospace engineer) that I have wondered about that possibility at the outset as well. However, many of the best brakes in the world such as Porsche, Ferrari, Brembo, Stop-Tech and the like seem to do OK with them, so imagine a combination of metallurgy with good metals and good design will work. EBC has been in the brake business in England for a long time, starting out with motorcycles (I own 2 bikes) before migrating to cars. I considered the Brembos and Stop-Techs, but at the time, their Big Brake kits were front only, no rears, and EXPENSIVE. Even the cheaper EBC's are MUCH better than the OEM's in performance and fade, especially in the wet where the holes / slots due a much better job of de-gassing and elimination of water than their non-drilled / non-slotted counterparts.

Last edited by AccordCoupe09; 02-13-2013 at 04:15 AM. Reason: content
Old 02-13-2013, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nub

EBC= No, thank you.
yeah i agree. I would stay away from cross drilled and slotted rotors.

Originally Posted by AccordCoupe09
As noted above, I am using the EBC "Red Stuff" pads. Yes, the rears do wear down faster as the apportioning valve is biased a bit to the rear as weight shift in braking tends to unload the rear wheels. I found this to be true on Nissan Maximas as well and am sure many other makes and models.

Go to my garage to see pix...
oh ok i must have missed that in your OP. and it's "proportioning valve" lol

yes the rears on many cars do wear down first because they are thin. but the 8th gen 08-10 rear brake pads wear down prematurely fast. I was a service advisor for Honda, for a few years.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i agree. I would stay away from cross drilled and slotted rotors.

oh ok i must have missed that in your OP. and it's "proportioning valve" lol

yes the rears on many cars do wear down first because they are thin. but the 8th gen 08-10 rear brake pads wear down prematurely fast. I was a service advisor for Honda, for a few years.
Correctomundo on the proportioning valve - must have had a senior moment / mind fart. And I do remember brake recalls and a class action lawsuit on same. Guess I have taken that out of the equation...
Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 PM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

Cross drilling isn't the issue, it's how and where the holes are dilled that is. Ever wonder why they came out with the dimpled rotors?

My first experience with them was in the mid 90's as a retailer. At the time they were the newest budget friendly option. I'm not even going to guess how many sets of rotors and "green stuff" pads claiming to be rotor "friendly" and "low dusting" I sold and installed.

These set ups turned wheels black like nobody's business and the pads scored the rotors like I've never seen with the mialage put on them. It didn't take long to realize having to deal with customers complaints this was a loose loose. We actually went as far as bedding the pads and rotors per EBC's instructions so customer abuse or lack of bedding couldn't be blamed.

Maybe they've finally figured out their problems, I wouldn't know because I wont touch or recomend them. Any company that uses their customer base to R&D their product is heavily flawed in my opinion.

If it's working for you...good on you.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah dusting is a big issue too. I dont have any experience with EBC, but my Hawk pads created alot of dust and I will only go OEM for any street car i own.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah dusting is a big issue too. I dont have any experience with EBC, but my Hawk pads created alot of dust and I will only go OEM for any street car i own.
No dust or squeaking problems at all with the "Red Stuff" pads although the Anthracite color of the 19" HFP wheels would tend to hide any dusting somewhat, similar to the paint on the car.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lucky you. My Hawk's made my standard alloy and later my set of white wheels look like the normal color of your wheels. lol

very important that they aren't squeaking though.